Why You Only Hand Tighten an Oil Filter

13-15-17 ftlbs is one hand "kind of tight" anyways with my car filter diameters. Its about double that to remove them after a 6k OCI, so it works for me. I got burned once on doing spark plugs with contact plus X turn. They felt too loose when I did it, and they were....
Oil filters from different manufactures have potentially much different rubber gasket designs and hardnesses, so I just use hand torqued estimation... Changing oil is both a science and an art after all... ;)

I've always hand tightened but I''ve rarely found oil filter torque specs.

I do torque drain plugs these days but those specs are easier to find.

bike filter yestudy, feller brought wrench, oil, filter...
(brand new 'Ninga' 636, 1st change)
Could not get filter off (end cap style wrench just chattered round the end w/o a grab). New filter hada "nut" on end + same 'corrigations' as the on-there-one. Seemed best 'style' of werench as 'no room' in there 4 anything else. Also a weird plastic shileld ran round most the bottom of the filter bout an inch hi. I thought chain wrench, regular tool-swivel or steel-strap oil wrench as he went to my board for the cloth strap style. I knew at that angle it'd never get an angle of purchars While he was away I found some room under the swing arm for a side attack. Let him move back to the bike & went for the regulat oil filter strap, just in case brought along the lisle style U put on end ofa ratchet like the 'end cap'. (Didnt think I needed the 2nd but didnt wanna look unprepaired). Luckly it fit thru the swing arm (or what ever would B in that locationas this was a single or mono rear shock). But would only move upa 1/100 turn. So that was it. 3 or 4 pulls thru that mini distance & the endcap style took it off the rest. The weird plastic shield was to direct any drips away. Went for the hand snug'n a 1/4 more as it bottomed out quick, was past the 10 or 15 lbs (my wrist told me) that seems wise.

"hand tighten" means something different to everyone. I hand tighten, but I put a pretty big amount of juice on it. That
s what I have always done, but open to actually torquing in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
The picture of these 2 mechanics agree with hand tightening... its always perfect.

mechanics.jpg

I learned to tighten one revolution after friction kicks in, about 50 years ago. "Hand tight" will differ for everyone, and not every one has a wrench with a socket drive that will accommodate a torque wrench. Also, take a drip of oil on your finger (nitrile glove optional) and wipe around the new oil filter gasket, which keeps the gasket from buckling. Short of the pictured train wreck, the gasket can buckle easily, especially when over tightened.

My hand tight at 20 years old is a lot different than my 66 years old hand tight. I go 3/4 turn with a cap wrench and ratchet. At 3/4 turn it's plenty tight.

Seriously long story short I was working on an AC line blocked by the filter. I removed the filter, coupled to the AC line, hand tightened the filter. I had to run the engine to add refrigerant. I could no longer get the filter off by hand, nor by wrench because a wrench could not get to it. Not a cap wrench, not a strap wrench. Of course it was a GM SUV. So I'm not really sure if hand tightening has everything to do with everything. I was this far away from the screwdriver through the side trick, which I doubt works. What I did based on the above, I bought ACDelco PF48 filters to be used for an AC job. The stock is a PF63. My hunch is that the position of the AC port was based on a PF48 as the engine was basically in place 2007-2014, but the filter got longer in 2011.
I bet filter pliers would get it off-like these-
1684803050696.jpeg

I use the mechanics torque wrench--my hand. That image is another reason I like to change my own oil. I don't want an air gun anywhere near my drain plug or oil filter. By the way, I have never seen a mechanic in a professional garage use a torque wrench on an oil filter.

I do so with spin-on filters but with Composite caps, I use a torque wrench.

Last edited:
I bet filter pliers would get it off-like these-
View attachment 157304
I just got around to trying out a pair of these that I bought some time ago, anticipating that it may work for removing the oil filter for the Cummins ISC 8.3, that is in my motorhome. It was worthless. I tossed it back into my toolbox, and will give it another chance, next time I think it may be the right tool for the job. But I'm not hopeful.

Now this did the job!

Capture.JPG

Back