Why we shouldn't use tap water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The water here is fine for radiators - even though distilled is a much better idea IMO, I've ran EBMUD water for years with no issues.

I agree distilled water is safer. But many water supplies have soft water. Look at your shower head, if its clean with no white crusty and no one cleans it then you probably have soft water.

My 1994 Lexus LS400 had nothing but tap water and Preston All-makes since I first flushed the coolant with Preston T-flush 12-13 years ago, it now has more than 240k miles without any coolant related problem, it still has original upper and lower hoses and radiator and heater core ...

Originally Posted By: nthach
The water here is fine for radiators - even though distilled is a much better idea IMO, I've ran EBMUD water for years with no issues.

Agreed EBMUD water is fine. If you can wash a Black car and not get water spots the water is pretty good.

For my high use stuff i still use distilled water. The forklifts, flatbeds, welders and Man lifts do just fine on EBMUD.

The cranes, service trucks, HD trucks and my daily drivers get 98 cent wallmart distilled water. people always look at me crazy when I check out with 25 gallons of distilled water

Huh!, I was just about to post a question on this very topic. I have my Coolant, and thermostat all ready. But wasnt sure if it mattered what kind of water to mix it with. I heard tap is fine, distilled is better....My tap water is soft, I should be fine using it, but I'll still go with a gallon of distilled, I have a few in the basment anyway...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Look at your shower head, if its clean with no white crusty and no one cleans it then you probably have soft water.
The shower head starts spraying funny afer 6 weeks here
banana2.gif

My grandparents are near Youngstown, OH and the tap tastes terrible! I joke it's a good cure for heartburn, there's so much lime. Being "soft" is no better if salt was added to make it soft!

My home well water is about as good as Poland Spring.
20.gif
(Alternatively, with half a dozen taps all over the place now, PS has degraded to ordinary faucet water.) Chris, I'll put some ice cubes in an envelope your way... 4th class mail, let me know how you like them.
LOL.gif

Our well water contains bacteria which we constantly shock with a regular dose of Chlorine to keep it in check and use a UV light to ensure it's 100% safe before entering the filters/RO system. The water is also very hard with assorted minerals and Iron. Way more Iron than typical M1 UOA's!
LOL.gif
(J/K)

We have the Culligan "NASA style" system of piping/filters/conditioners in our basement cold room that takes care of the mess. Then we have it go through an R.O. unit to further make it better for consumption.

We had a lab test our water for things like heavy metals, chemicals, bacteria etc. and the report came back with all 0's and the comments. "One of the best samples we have ever tested"

Now straight from the well is quite a different story and I wouldn't use it to water my lawn.

So I can understand how this could happen to a Radiator if the water contained such "problems".

I would imagine that our R.O. water would be more than suitable for radiators.

My mom's Kia is half filled with it right now since my dad changed the coolant and we aren't seeing any ill effects or increase operating temps.

I still buy the Distilled/De-ionized water because I'm anal I guess and because IMO it's cheap insurance.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Ok, so I have a bit of time on my hands, so here is my water system.

The RO unit isn't shown as it is in another room inside the wall behind an access panel which has stuff in front of it at the moment. Will post pictures of it later.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

^ I'm impressed! If you lived in a mobile home you'd need another trailer just for all the plumbing gear!!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I think Stevie lives in a fallout shelter!
Originally Posted By: Crustacean
Wheres the generator? How about a picture of the hatch, and does it have any numbers on it?
crackmeup2.gif
After I'm done ROFL I will post a picture...

I do have a generator and it is wired into the house wiring and capable of powering up to 50% of everything in the house at any one time assuming that the A/C compressor or Stove isn't running. If these are running that number drops considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back