Why the hate for Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key difference is that is the regular Royal Purple API SN approved oil. This version of Royal Purple is not the same as the RP HPS version. No where near the same as the regular RP sold at Wally World.

Here's from a voa of XPR 5W30 I found online:

Calcium = 3039

Phosphorus = 1338

Zinc = 1421

Moly = 204

TBN = 10.9

This looks like a serious oil!!

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Key difference is that is the regular Royal Purple API SN approved oil. This version of Royal Purple is not the same as the RP HPS version. No where near the same as the regular RP sold at Wally World.

Yep, it's the same old story.
wink.gif
When RP didn't upgrade to SM, people complained it wasn't certified. When it upgraded to SN, it suddenly became watered down.

In fairness, for those willing to spend the money (or not, since it's not ridiculously more money than other synthetics up here), they do offer a few options. For those looking for a HM oil that hasn't been turned into another SN/GF-5 option, RP is at least another choice.

If I wanted a simple 5w-30 SN/GF-5 dexos1, RP wouldn't be my first choice. But, when RP 0w-40 was cheaper than GC or M1 0w-40 for the old Audi, that didn't seem so bad, at least until I got Delvac 1.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Calcium = 3039

Phosphorus = 1338

Zinc = 1421

Moly = 204

TBN = 10.9

Yeah, the Royal Purple HPS 5w-30 that I run looks like this:

Calcium = 3158

Phos = 1096

Zinc = 1269

Moly = 119

TBN = 10.5

These are NOT the API Royal Purple everyone is saying looks like Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Calcium = 3039

Phosphorus = 1338

Zinc = 1421

Moly = 204

TBN = 10.9

Yeah, the Royal Purple HPS 5w-30 that I run looks like this:

Calcium = 3158

Phos = 1096

Zinc = 1269

Moly = 119

TBN = 10.5

These are NOT the API Royal Purple everyone is saying looks like Valvoline.

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dogememe

...In comparison to other specialty oil brands like Amsoil and Redline, it's easier to get (for example, you can find regular Royal Purple on the shelf at O'Reilly auto parts and order special versions like HPS, HMX, etc for the next day) and it's price competitive or cheaper.

Regarding prices, I have compared prices of Royal Purple to Amsoil and Redline at quite a few Auto Stores and I have not seen prices that I would call, "Price Competitive."

Originally Posted By: dogememe
PS: It's purple, how awesome is that?

With the right mix of oil soluble dyes, I can produce any color of oil you want, even Chartreuse Pear. Color can be used to simply differentiate an oil.

Color adds NOTHING to the lubrication performance of any oil, so one should not be impressed by color.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
I don't think it's "hate" per se, but there is no ROI for the expense with RP. In other words, there are many other oils that provide the same or better results with much less investment.

P.S.
Schaeffer Oil is GREEN, how awesome is that?
Pennzoil (Havoline, Mobil, P66, Valvoline) is GOLD how awesome is that?

thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
With the right mix of oil soluble dyes, I can produce any color of oil you want, even Chartreuse Pear. Color can be used to simply differentiate an oil.

Color adds NOTHING to the lubrication performance of any oil, so one should not be impressed by color.

Would it be possible for you to whip up a sample? My wife wants to see if it matches her shoes and purse.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

Would it be possible for you to whip up a sample? My wife wants to see if it matches her shoes and purse.
smile.gif

Absolutely.
cool.gif

I had produced an oil at one time that had an aroma that was very attractive for women DIYers.

Absolutely.
cool.gif

I had produced an oil at one time that had an aroma that was very attractive for women DIYers.

It smelled like money?
;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Absolutely.
cool.gif

It smelled like money?
;^)

And I suppose you are here all day?
whistle.gif

It smelled like money?
;^)

I'm going to guess esters.

I like esters too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

smile.gif

AIR_069_16-2.jpg

Wow. I thought this was a joke. And it is real.
So, I am assuming it smells like, 3 year old tobacco smoke, 3 day old stale cheap beer and pink champagne, 2 day old sweat and [censored], and recycled dollar bills?

Absolutely.
cool.gif

It smelled like money?
;^)

And I suppose you are here all day?
whistle.gif

Try the chicken cacciatore, folks...and, don't forget to tip your servers generously, they work hard for you.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

smile.gif

AIR_069_16-2.jpg

Wow. I thought this was a joke. And it is real.
So, I am assuming it smells like, 3 year old tobacco smoke, 3 day old stale cheap beer and pink champagne, 2 day old sweat and [censored], and recycled dollar bills?

Or smelled like an unwashed dog haha.

Regarding prices, I have compared prices of Royal Purple to Amsoil and Redline at quite a few Auto Stores and I have not seen prices that I would call, "Price Competitive."

You guys down south are spoiled.
wink.gif
Here, regular RP price is between M1 and M1 EP, though it never gets cut as sharply as M1 or M1 EP do when a special is on. The big box stores clearly have much better margins on M1 and the like than they do on RP. My supplier was getting me quarts of RP 0w-40 for something like $8 when GC and M1 0w-40 were a couple bucks more per litre (before M1 came out in jugs here, and before Castrol 0w-40 came here, and before I found out how cheap Delvac 1 was).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back