Why the hate for Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
What exactly is Synerlec?

No one really knows exactly but the rumor is that it is a sulfurized ester.

Ok - since they quit making HPM (NMMA FCW) - now have only a quart - plan to mix with RP 10w30 ...
The boat motor only holds 2 quarts when I don't change filter ...
With warranty out in January - will go to something else ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ok - since they quit making HPM (NMMA FCW) - now have only a quart - plan to mix with RP 10w30 ...
The boat motor only holds 2 quarts when I don't change filter ...
With warranty out in January - will go to something else ...

They now have the API stuff that is just Royal Purple, HPS(High performance street)and HMX(High mileage). Both the HPS and HMX variations have Synerlec.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I run Royal Purple HPS 5W-30. I'm not really seeing what everyone is talking about when it comes to price. I order it from Summit or Jegs, cost $8.30 per quart for top of the line HPS Synthetic. By comparison, WalMart has Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for $7.98 per quart, Mobil 1 5W-30 for $7.03 per quart, Castrol Edge 5W-30 for $7.97 per quart, QSUD 5W-30 for $7.33 per quart.....so where is the HUGE price difference between Royal Purple's top notch HPS line, & the other off the shelf "synthetics" ? I'm pretty sure Royal Purple HPS is more "synthetic" than all those other off the shelf 5W-30's also with a better add pack to boot. Also, when you compare RP HPS to the price of AmsOil, Redline, Motul or any of the other boutique oils, they are nearly DOUBLE the price per quart of RP HPS. I'll continue to run the RP HPS & RP filter in my truck. These prices I quoted are directly off the shelf at my local WalMart.....

As is usual when price is discussed, a bit of disingenuous comparison creeps in. Those prices for the other brands at Walmart are for the single quarts, but who in their right mind buys oil like that? Please compare the price to a 5-quart jug of Castrol or Mobil 1 where the per-quart price drops very close to $5 without rebate.

And speaking of "synthetics", I'll put Castrol 0W-40 up against RP 5W-30 any day. Just the number of actual specifications the oil carries will tell you everything you need to know.

Why do some people get so whacked out when discussing this oil?

Let's do a comparison shall we......looking at the VOA for both oils, the 0W-40 looks kinda WEAK. Also my truck takes 8 quarts of oil, so should I buy 2 5qt jugs from Wally World at $50-$60 dollars or buy 8 qts of Royal Purple for basically the same amount ? At some point I'm going to need single bottles of the other stuff.

Last edited:

Let's do a comparison shall we......looking at the VOA for both oils, the 0W-40 looks kinda WEAK.

That's of little consequence. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. There's no data that says RP will give you more power, better fuel econ, or longer engine life vs any of the mass market name brands selling for considerably less.

Let's do a comparison shall we......looking at the VOA for both oils, the 0W-40 looks kinda WEAK. Also my truck takes 8 quarts of oil, so should I buy 2 5qt jugs from Wally World at $50-$60 dollars or buy 8 qts of Royal Purple for basically the same amount ? At some point I'm going to need single bottles of the other stuff.

If you are able to predict the future performance of a motor oil via a Blackstone UOA then you are a better man than me. I only have demonstrated certifications to go by, I am not able to read the tea leaves and make such a prediction myself.

And that other stuff, well if that is representative of your math skills then by all means go for it.

It has been proven here that RP looks like Valvoline Syn with some silly purple dye.
I don't understand why the RP lovers can't accept this.
It's a gimmick oil that attracts those who want to feel special.

Originally Posted By: NITRONICK101
RP is great oil. Some of the best there is. Better then Amsoil aint no doubt. Haters gonna hate-o its purple shh lol

And there's my point...

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
It has been proven here that RP looks like Valvoline Syn with some silly purple dye.

You obviously aren't referring to their HPS line of oils, which is what I use. It looks NOTHING like Valvoline. Have you even seen a VOA of Royal Purple HPS ? I'm assuming you haven't with that last statement of yours.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

I want you to look at either of these Royal Purple VOA from their HPS & HMX lines & tell where they look ANYTHING like Valvoline SynPower that loads their oils with sodium.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3898974/Royal_Purple_HMX_5w-30_VOA!__V

Originally Posted By: Shannow
RP is great oil. Some of the best there is. Better then Amsoil aint no doubt. Haters gonna hate-o its purple shh lol

And there's my point...

LMAO!!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

And there's my point...

If you know what he said could you decipher it for the rest of us?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
The HPS and HMX UOA's look pretty good. Stout additive package. It is a fair amount more $$ than the RP API stuff, though. So, now it is in the Redline or Motul $$ range.

HPS is $8.30 per quart. Redline is $11.95 per quart & Motul is $12.95 per quart.....BIG difference in price. The API RP is actually more per quart than the HPS at $8.78.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back