Why it's a bad idea to ignore wheel-bearing noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your story but let me just point out a myth- two cars (or a car and a truck wheel) doing 60mph in opposite directions don't make a 120mph collision. Each side has the same kind of crash (at worst, assuming each instantly stops in the crash, no glancing off) as hitting a brick wall at 60mph. To understand this, see how either party in the crash effectively decelerates from 60 to 0 in nearly no time, just like when hitting the brick wall. What is doubled is the total energy in the crash - because there are two parties having the crash.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I watched one come apart right in front of me, a few decades ago. Old, rusty truck. We were heading into an underwater tunnel too. I saw something odd, then saw sparks, so I slowed way down. The back left wheel really began to wobble, then suddenly separated! It passed the truck body straight into head-on traffic....inside the tunnel!

One guy in a Camero did Chevy proud the way he quickly swerved out of the way then back into his lane.

Of course, the back rear was now on the concrete, throwing up a huge, shower of orange sparks. It slowly ground to a halt. The driver dude jumped out and poured his beer onto it! He was freeking out.

I was the first to go around him. They later closed the tunnel to clean it up.

Can you imagine a head-on 120mph collision with a truck wheel, rolling straight at you.....inside of a tunnel? The first guy swerved, not sure what happened to the wheel after that.

And for some more on this...

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2012/10/01/mythbusters-on-head-on-collisions/

Mythbusters tested it and two cars, each travelling at 50mph going head on do not do the same damage to each as a single 100mph car that hits an immovable object.

Each car in the head-on looked most like the 50mph car into an immovable object than the 100mph car into the immovable object.

Originally Posted By: deanm11

Love your story but let me just point out a myth- two cars (or a car and a truck wheel) doing 60mph in opposite directions don't make a 120mph collision. Each side has the same kind of crash (at worst, assuming each instantly stops in the crash, no glancing off) as hitting a brick wall at 60mph. To understand this, see how either party in the crash effectively decelerates from 60 to 0 in nearly no time, just like when hitting the brick wall. What is doubled is the total energy in the crash - because there are two parties having the crash.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I watched one come apart right in front of me, a few decades ago. Old, rusty truck. We were heading into an underwater tunnel too. I saw something odd, then saw sparks, so I slowed way down. The back left wheel really began to wobble, then suddenly separated! It passed the truck body straight into head-on traffic....inside the tunnel!

One guy in a Camero did Chevy proud the way he quickly swerved out of the way then back into his lane.

Of course, the back rear was now on the concrete, throwing up a huge, shower of orange sparks. It slowly ground to a halt. The driver dude jumped out and poured his beer onto it! He was freeking out.

I was the first to go around him. They later closed the tunnel to clean it up.

Can you imagine a head-on 120mph collision with a truck wheel, rolling straight at you.....inside of a tunnel? The first guy swerved, not sure what happened to the wheel after that.

We saw a warranty return come through our lab that was as bad.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll pass them around our lab.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Not everyone can change out a wheel bearing themselves.
True but they can hear or feel something isn't right, bring it to someone who can check it/fix it, and get it fixed.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I have absolutely NO sympathy for people who are too lazy or too stupid or too cheap to buy tools and actively engage in a preventative maintenance regime.

You do realize some people don't have the talent/and or facility for working on their own cars......don't you?

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Olas
I have absolutely NO sympathy for people who are too lazy or too stupid or too cheap to buy tools and actively engage in a preventative maintenance regime.

You do realize some people don't have the talent/and or facility for working on their own cars......don't you?

Or have the time yet not the talent--but still attempt the job (go see the oil pan thread).

I remember a rather long discussion with a quite obnoxious friend years ago on this topic. I took your position. He swore up & down I was wrong. Neither he (nor I) could defend our positions with math. No internet to look it up either. My EE background had very little mechanics....

So I was right after all, eh? He's now dead unfortunately. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did smoking a pack/day.

If you & the tire are both doing 60mph and heading straight towards each other, your time to act will be cut in half vs. heading straight into a bridge pillar. The damage done may still be enough to kill you. After all, this occurred in the mid-80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back