Why isn't High Performance Lubricants advertised as a long OCI oil?

Proof that it is not “stupid”.

Proof that it is not “stupid”.
I have no doubt that an oil can, and in fact does last 20k or more. No issue there. But for the normal guy, in severe conditions, changing the oil and filter every 20k is just asking for trouble. Especially after changing to a superior product like HPL.

There is value in popping the hood and checking the oil level, checking the belts, checking the coolant level, and the like. You plant the idea that you can change that oil every 20k, and we will see rusted shut hood latches in the future, and a misguided sense of "maintenance security". You ever plan on buying a used car? Would you not want one you knew someone really keept in check? Would you buy a used car that someone only opened the hood 5 times in 100k?

Hell, during your preflight, did you not check a bunch of stuff that you knew to be good, didn't the flight crew? Some people vehicles are just as important to them as your Tomcat. Maybe not an exact match of course, but do you get what I am saying.???

20k oic, sure in a vacuum, but for the average Joe, maybe not the greatest idea, in other words, stupid.

I have no doubt that an oil can, and in fact does last 20k or more. No issue there. But for the normal guy, in severe conditions, changing the oil and filter every 20k is just asking for trouble. Especially after changing to a superior product like HPL.

There is value in popping the hood and checking the oil level, checking the belts, checking the coolant level, and the like. You plant the idea that you can change that oil every 20k, and we will see rusted shut hood latches in the future, and a misguided sense of "maintenance security". You ever plan on buying a used car? Would you not want one you knew someone really keept in check? Would you buy a used car that someone only opened the hood 5 times in 100k?

Hell, during your preflight, did you not check a bunch of stuff that you knew to be good, didn't the flight crew? Some people vehicles are just as important to them as your Tomcat. Maybe not an exact match of course, but do you get what I am saying.???

20k oic, sure in a vacuum, but for the average Joe, maybe not the greatest idea, in other words, stupid.
Where did anyone mention not opening the hood and/or performing other sensible maintenance operations during a 20k OCI?

also, with todays engines, using a quart per 1000 miles, I'll bet almost any oil could go 20k, with just topping off with fresh fluid.

Where did anyone mention not opening the hood and/or performing other sensible maintenance operations during a 20k OCI?
Its not the oil ability I question, it is the unintended consequences of not checking things that would make me not recommend such a oic. Do youi not understand that. Thought it was pretty clear.

also, most would not be sensible, they are not like us, up on maintenance and such.
I did, in my post of opposition.
Its ok, keep backpedaling. Eventually you’ll get back to the facts that 20k OCIs are possible, and not that unusual, especially when paired with minimal maintenance checks during the OCI.

IIRC, @dnewton3 has run somewhere around 15k OCIs on conventional & semi-syn oils for quite some time. I dare you to try to disprove not only his data, but his analysis to support his position. 🍿

You’re obviously free to do as you choose, but making up unsupported claims won’t stand for long here. Do you think XOM’s lawyers would expose them to unnecessary litigation with Extended Protection if it wasn’t capable of delivering on its publicly stated performance standards?

also, with todays engines, using a quart per 1000 miles, I'll bet almost any oil could go 20k, with just topping off with fresh fluid.
I wouldn’t make that assumption about consumption.

My Tundra uses zero oil between changes.

I’m careful to top it off to the top of the fill mark on level ground when I do an oil change, and it stays right there until the next time I change it.

Read Wayne’s thread. Under a quart of makeup oil during his nearly 20,000 mile run. In fact, 1/4 quart, which happens to be about the volume of the oil samples pulled. So, basically, zero.

Not all of “today’s engines” use oil.

Now, the majority of my Volvos use zero oil between changes (the XC-70 uses a quart every 1,500 or so as it nears 300,000 miles - and a sump inspection is planned) but I’m not certain if you consider them in the same category.

Same for the V-12s. No consumption. Also, not sure they meet the definition of “todays engines”.

I wouldn’t make that assumption about consumption.
Not really an assumption as many low friction ring direct injection engine do this, that is what i mean about "todays engines" I have 3 in my work truck fleet, all 6.6 L8T engines and they are all like clockwork, oil users. There are many known complaints about this, and is a known thing. And the like with many other DI newer engines. Not sure about your Tundra, as Toyota is usually and rightfully last to jump on the dumb idea band wagon. My older 6.0 vortec uses 0 oil, and is is run hard.
I’m careful to top it off to the top of the fill mark on level ground when I do an oil change, and it stays right there until the next time I change it.
You think most of todays younger generation will do this, really?
Read Wayne’s thread. Under a quart of makeup oil during his nearly 20,000 mile run. In fact, 1/4 quart, which happens to be about the volume of the oil samples pulled. So, basically, zero.
I am not contesting this, I have no doubt that this is true, but the total idea behind it is what I would not recommend. Thought I made this clear.
but I’m not certain if you consider them in the same category.
No I would not, as they are not low friction ring, DI engines.........really you could probably run anything you want in them and they would be fine as they are good to begin with.

Understand, once again, that I DO NOT REFUTE THE CLAIMS THAT IT CAN BE DONE with confidence. What I am saying, is that for the normal Joe Blow, it is not a good idea

Its ok, keep backpedaling. Eventually you’ll get back to the facts that 20k OCIs are possible, and not that unusual, especially when paired with minimal maintenance checks during the OCI.

IIRC, @dnewton3 has run somewhere around 15k OCIs on conventional & semi-syn oils for quite some time. I dare you to try to disprove not only his data, but his analysis to support his position. 🍿

You’re obviously free to do as you choose, but making up unsupported claims won’t stand for long here. Do you think XOM’s lawyers would expose them to unnecessary litigation with Extended Protection if it wasn’t capable of delivering on its publicly stated performance standards?
No clue, and I aint backpedaling.

You act like the leader of some mob BTW.......HAHAHA.....what are you the "PC on BITOG" police.
but making up unsupported claims won’t stand for long here
I made no claim fella, just oppostion to an idea, with reasons why I do not think it is a good idea for the regular individual to rely on 20k oil changes is all. It seems as though you dont get it. I have an opinion on the subject...........and have stated it. Can you refute my stance? NO, becasue they are all valid points. Never once did I say the oil cant do it, I said the owner should not, there is a big difference.

Their oils are used for long drain intervals, as you’ve described it, in large fleets. They’ve been holding up well in those long drains. Remember, this is a small company, so the website, advertising, etc. aren’t what you would get from a big company.

If you want details, or want to discuss your specific needs and concerns, they will do that, and you’ll get a reply from a very, very knowledgeable person, often the owner himself.

Contrast that with a big company, like the ones you find on the shelf at Walmart, where your questions get answers by a support representative, not the CEO, and they know far less than the folks with whom you’re speaking at HPL…it’s clear that HPL is simply different than any other manufacturer.

I’ve never seen a manufacturer take the time to talk with customers, open their doors to customers, even blend oils based on customer feedback. The “No VII” line, for example. Honestly, if you want to discuss your application, reach out. @High Performance Lubricants has been very helpful in helping me select oil for my cars.

I just ordered another case of their 0W30 as I induct another Volvo into the fleet.

What’s your OCI and filter?

why not 20k?
Well, that’s over five years on the MBs at their current rate of use. I live in a very humid climate. MB requires 10,000 miles or one year. I’m OK going to a couple years, based on UOA, but five seems excessive.

I’ve had good UOA at nearly 10,000 on the MBs. I’ll check the filter at 5,000, see where we are. I’m anticipating it to be clean, but until I know, the exact parameters of the extended OCI remains to be established.

When the carbon in the filter settles down on the Volvos, and if a UOA supports, then stretch them out.

Not really an assumption as many low friction ring direct injection engine do this, that is what i mean about "todays engines" I have 3 in my work truck fleet, all 6.6 L8T engines and they are all like clockwork, oil users.
Low tension rings get blamed a lot on here, by more than just yourself, but there are many engines that use them that don't consume any appreciable amount of oil, Wayne's Pentastar being one.

DI on the other hand, with fuel dilution, can lead to consumption, but again, not always.

IIRC, GM had consumption issues with some of their AFM engines (5.3L?) before they added DI.

Low tension rings get blamed a lot on here, by more than just yourself, but there are many engines that use them that don't consume any appreciable amount of oil, Wayne's Pentastar being one.

DI on the other hand, with fuel dilution, can lead to consumption, but again, not always.

IIRC, GM had consumption issues with some of their AFM engines (5.3L?) before they added DI.
DI and low fiction I think is a unneeded design, especially when put together in one design.

Back