Why is moly paste so expensive?

I need moly paste for my BMW R1250 driveshaft splines. This stuff is priced like platinum and the cheapest I could find for a small tube of the Castrol stuff was $25. I‘m looking for at least 60% molybdenum disulphide. The new Honda M77 only has 40% and the Yamaha stuff has less than 10%. The Loctite 8012 has 65% molybdenum disulphide in it but is pricey.

I don't know the exact percentage, but this is quality stuff for under $10.00 a tube.

I don't know the exact percentage, but this is quality stuff for under $10.00 a tube.

SDS doesn’t even list the moly percentage. Given the listed percentage of the lubricant, we can discern thst it’s nothing like a high solids moly paste which can be half or more moly…

Not sure why people obsess so much about moly content for this particular application. And Honda and BMW folks seem to have elevated it to almost a cult like following.
Most of the issues I have seen on the internet are either from not servicing the the splines often or using too little of the lubricant. Which doesn't surprise me since the stuff is priced like gold. I have yet too see people having issues by using a heavy duty or extreme pressure grease on these splines and servicing them often.

I actually have a 2oz bottle of Moly powder that I was planning on mixing with some waterproof grease and using it, but I never hot around it. Normal grease seems to be working fine for me.

I need moly paste for my BMW R1250 driveshaft splines. This stuff is priced like platinum and the cheapest I could find for a small tube of the Castrol stuff was $25. I‘m looking for at least 60% molybdenum disulphide. The new Honda M77 only has 40% and the Yamaha stuff has less than 10%. The Loctite 8012 has 65% molybdenum disulphide in it but is pricey.

I'm not sure who is the ideal candidate to be asked this, but how is it that high moly disulfide (or niche like krytox) the consistently recommended grease solution for drive splines, but such grease not seen recommended anywhere else?

How marginal is this solution from other more commercially accessible greases?

Some of these vary a lot in moly disulfide content, which makes it more difficult to clearly understand.

@SuperSalad
@MolaKule
@RDMgr

I have cleaned slip yoke and trans output shafts with Brakleen then sprayed with CRC dry moly maybe 2 coats.Then when dry apply a moly grease. Very slippery and cured a slip/ bump problem

Expensive by volume, but smaller outlay for the job.

That ebay link is the proper stuff with a high concentration of Moly. The seller is a motorcycle supplier and the grease is used on the clutch and final drive splines of BMW motorcycles like mine. I'd recommend that product.

I'm not sure who is the ideal candidate to be asked this, but how is it that high moly disulfide (or niche like krytox) the consistently recommended grease solution for drive splines, but such grease not seen recommended anywhere else?

How marginal is this solution from other more commercially accessible greases?

Some of these vary a lot in moly disulfide content, which makes it more difficult to clearly understand.

@SuperSalad
@MolaKule
@RDMgr

I mean, I'll take a stab, but my insight is much more out of date than @RDMgr's. If I recall correctly, moly disulfide was somewhere around $8 a lb over a decade ago. I would imagine the price would be in the teens by now. And the moly pastes recommended are very high concentrations so that is a lot of $ in those little tubes.

That being said, they are the best tool for the job for those splines. They do a great job and they hold up for much longer than your typical grease would. It may hurt the wallet, but it gets the job done better than any alternative I'm aware of.

Edit: Keep in mind that $ figure was for bulk prices. You aint buying moly powder for that cheap off the shelf.

Expensive to make.

It’s not just the cost of the raw materials. But the small packaging is expensive. Flushing the kettle after the blend is expensive. Making small batch grease right now is even more expensive post chem tool fire.

Add that all up, with a small volume product. It’s going to be expensive.

It's been a while since I was involved in lubricant formula costs and pricing. Using raw material online pricing minus a typical markup plus an estimated 6 ounce tube cost would give the cost of moly and package of about $5.80 not including other additives, base fluids, thickener and mark up. Estimating the cost of the finished product, 6 ounce package plus mark ups to the distributor and then the consumer brings the shelf price to about $14.00/6 oz tube.

Moly is expensive and it quickly drives lubricant cost up. special packs are expensive so are manufacturing costs. However, regardless of cost, moly is one of the best materials to control low to moderate frequency fretting wear which is the main problem in splines.

The Triumph TR6 has a similar need as the half shaft splines are a major item to service and don't have grease ports. Fr 30+ years, I have only used the Honda Moly60 and typically do a 12-15 year interval with no problems. Folks who have chosen other alternatives, except for Krytox, don't see the same results.

Back