Why don't owner's manuals specify the oil type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Balrog006
Originally Posted by OilUzer
If the OM recommendation is 0Wx20, I assume it only comes in synthetic so there is no ambiguity ...
However, I have seen many owners manual that recommend 5Wx20, 5Wx30, 10Wx30, 10Wx40 and to change the oil after x many miles without specifying the oil type (conventional/dino vs. Synthetic or syn-blend).

Do manufacturer specify the oci (x miles) considering the lowest performing oil (i.e. dino) available on the market? or do they think there is not a huge difference between conventional and synthetic
shocked2.gif

Except in some specific cases of specs requiring a Dino vs syn the OM's just spec grade and minimum API designation (SN, etc.)

That way their arses are covered when Joe Schmo puts in cheap dino from a quickie lube but the engine is still happy when a BITOG'er used a nice Syn.

I tend to agree!

The problem is it will force the bitog'er and alike to change the oil too early (with a better oil) while under the warranty period in order to meet the recommended oci!

it may be hard to convince people to use the cheapest oil that meets the spec. and to follow the recommended oci till the warranty is over and after that, you may switch to a better oil for extended oci.

People associate "better" with synthetic but can not provide any proof of less engine wear, the reason being, there is none. Oils of the same classification meet the same wear standards and its only marketing that makes you pay more money for one product over another.
In many cases, a cheap conventional will provide better wear numbers then an expensive synthetic. Law of averages gives an edge to synthetic BUT its a roll of the dice which synthetic.

Pure and simple. Marketing = Profits

Oil companies are not your friend and oils of the same ratings are the same unless proven different. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
People associate "better" with synthetic but can not provide any proof of less engine wear, the reason being, there is none. Oils of the same classification meet the same wear standards and its only marketing that makes you pay more money for one product over another.
In many cases, a cheap conventional will provide better wear numbers then an expensive synthetic. Law of averages gives an edge to synthetic BUT its a roll of the dice which synthetic.

Oil companies are not your friend and oils of the same ratings are the same unless proven different. :eek:)

In my original post I said that conventional oil is the lowest performing oil and you disagreed ...
However you didn't respond to my previous question
grin2.gif

"would you still take conventional over synthetic if price was not a factor?"

I agree that some things could be overpriced (e.g. iPhone) due to marketing, hype, etc. but that's beside the point. They can be overpriced and better at the same time.
can you use dino in sealed gearboxes / transmissions exceeding well over100K miles? I recall reading something about Shell Spirax (sp?) going to 300K miles in one test and doing well.

under some less demanding applications and if you know your limits (e.g. heat, load, mileage, etc.) oil can be oil... However, comparing conventional oil with synthetic oil is like comparing Madonna with Whitney Houston. Both are/were singers but only one could sing!
shocked2.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by alarmguy

In my original post I said that conventional oil is the lowest performing oil and you disagreed ...
However you didn't respond to my previous question
grin2.gif

I agree that some things could be overpriced (e.g. iPhone) due to marketing, hype, etc. but that's beside the point. They can be overpriced and better at the same time.
can you use dino in sealed gearboxes / transmissions exceeding well over100K miles? I recall reading something about Shell Spirax (sp?) going to 300K miles in one test and doing well.

under some less demanding applications and if you know your limits (e.g. heat, load, mileage, etc.) oil can be oil... However, comparing conventional oil with synthetic oil is like comparing Madonna with Whitney Houston. Both are/were singers but only one could sing!
shocked2.gif
grin.gif

Answer = I dont know and I guess when it happens I will know but it hasnt yet and as API requirements get "tighter" the market will figure it out, either way, once again, the oils with the most marketing will always be more expensive, for its you who pays for marketing.
When it comes to oil, I care about one thing and that is wear. Im not into ignoring my owners manual and looking to extend oil changes.

As I stated, conventional oils and synthetic oils are so close when it comes to wear, its truly impossible to know which one will give you less wear. But either one, changed on time, your engine will outlast the vehicle or better said, no oil, conventional or synthetic is going to make up for bad engine design.

"However, comparing conventional oil with synthetic oil is like comparing Madonna with Whitney Houston"
Agree with you on the singing :eek:) ...
But not on your oil reference as once again, all oils that meet the same specs required by the manufacture will give you the same results.

alarmguy,

I have over 20 quarts of dino in the garage ...
Only have a 5 qt. jug of synthetic plus a maybe 1/2 qt. leftover.

only use synthetic because I got tired of changing oil and wanted to extend the oci. It's actually costing me less!

I love dino
shocked2.gif
lol.gif

cheers3.gif

alarmguy,

I have over 20 quarts of dino in the garage ...
Only have a 5 qt. jug of synthetic plus a maybe 1/2 qt. leftover.

only use synthetic because I got tired of changing oil and wanted to extend the oci. It's actually costing me less!

I love dino
shocked2.gif
lol.gif

cheers3.gif

Agree on that, if you want to extend oil changes synthetic oil is more stable, at least in theory and even though I would not extend changes, yes I would then choose synthetic.

For me, I want best wear numbers and I change on time or before so I choose conventional.

In my daughters car, who has her own place now, I put in Super Tech Syn for the winter simply because who knows when it will get changed next ... :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back