Why does gasoline smell so good?

NO! In 2005, Congress passed the Energy Policy Act that removed the oxygenate requirement for reformulated gasoline (RFG) Its use also declined in the United States in response to environmental and health concerns.

And just to be clear, MTBE was in gasoline throughout the US, not just in California.
Well, we don't have MTBE, but we still have oygenates, primarily ethanol. Renewable standards made it spill over to conventional gasoline as well. RBOB and then CBOB. Probably the components people thinks smell so good are the aromatics (benzene, toluene, xylenes) which have been reduced significantly over the years, starting in CA, but everywhere since the MSAT regs.

I used to like the smell of gasoline, but after I got COVID, it smells different unless my nose is right over it (not something I do intentionally). Oddly, overcooked cured meats (bacon, Canadian bacon, ham) smell/taste the way gasoline now smells (to me).

i don't like the smell of gasoline. diesel is one of my favorite smells, i don't mind gear lube or ATF. never been around jet fuel

When I was 10 and in India my uncle removed the fuel line from his Moped to let some fuel drain so we can enjoy the smell. Good times.

I much prefer the smell oh jet fuel. Love it when near an airport and I get a waft of Jet A.

One summer, maybe 1966..I loaded gas tanker trucks in Houston at the Bebe rack, Gloria Gas & Oil.

When the first rush of gas hit that HOT empty tanker I got a good rush of fumes out of the hatch. Smelled much better than today’s gasoline.

Benzene is sweet smelling and a carcinogen. Gasoline from different places and different grades smells different because it is a variety of chemicals.

I hate that I can hardly smell diesel anymore. Not enough sulfur.

The last time I remember enjoying the smell of gasoline is probably the last time I ever pumped some regular into my mom's '72 Monte Carlo. It definitely does not smell the same now.

My mom liked the smell inside BrightLeaf tobacco stores in the mall long ago. I would burn a Dunhill Full Flavour cigarette after dinner at night outside and it had a pleasant smell. I like the smell of belts and holsters too. Can't smell anything paint related, even lacquer as I smelled enough of it working with it.

Back