Does Premium Gasoline Have More Energy Than Regular?

Isn't that the crux of the LSPI (low-speed pre-ignition) issue? I'm not saying it is; I'm asking if it is. If so, I would say they are essentially the same topic, but maybe induced by different means.
If we are talking about LSPI yes. Sometimes people conflate regular old pre-ignition knock with LSPI, and I assumed he was talking about the former.

@kschachn What generates this thread is I'm being told elsewhere that "Energy content per pound. Higher octane fuel has a higher content of aromatic low carbon chain molecules. Their energy content per pound is less than low octane fuel. Diesel fuel has the highest energy content per pound."

@kschachn What generates this thread is I'm being told elsewhere that "Energy content per pound. Higher octane fuel has a higher content of aromatic low carbon chain molecules. Their energy content per pound is less than low octane fuel. Diesel fuel has the highest energy content per pound."
Yes diesel fuel has a higher energy content per volume. It’s also used in engines with a higher compression ratio which is more efficient.

And as for aromatics, sure that may have a different energy density. It goes back again to how the octane rating is achieved and what is being used in the mixture. But pure octane by itself has different ratings based on morphology.

Adjuncts such as EtOH and benzene have higher octane ratings so yes they bump up the measured value in a test. It would be a function of engine design and operation to see what mixtures gave the best efficiency and at what price, and what climates could utilize which mixtures, and which ones meet environmental regulations.

I don't understand that part about efficiency?
I'm referring to the fuel that results in better fuel efficiency. Less airflow at the same air fuel ratio means less fuel injected. This could be from an improvement in actual combustion efficiency, or just from more energy in the fuel.

I can remember hearing old timers saying of running regular in engines which were designed for higher octane fuels, "run the prescribed premium, it's a cooler burn".

No it does not burn slower. It resists ignition by sources other than the spark plug. That’s a function of the octane molecule morphology.
Thanks that’s exactly what preignition or detonation leading to knock is. Thanks

This is why I asked.

Premium is such a vague term as to almost be meaningless.
Or
IMG_1527.jpeg
. $12 a gallon 110 .no more methanol so back to my vette shop

Last edited:
I began my career as an engineer in the Bayway, NJ refinery. Largest on the East Coast of the USA.

Regular gasoline has a bit MORE BTU per gallon than premium. It also usually has a higher specific gravity than premium. When I used to race SCCA, there was a class, Formula Ford. All the cars used the same basic 4 cylinder Ford engine. Some of the tuners tried to set up the engines to run on regular, as the regular gas actually had more energy per gallon.

I don't think higher Octane fuel "burns slower." It ignites later than lower Octane gas but the speed at which gas combusts is the same for all grades.

I don't think higher Octane fuel "burns slower." It ignites later than lower Octane gas but the speed at which gas combusts is the same for all grades.
The higher the octane, the less likely the fuel is to self ignite from compression. That self ignition is what we describe as "pinging".

Thanks that’s exactly what preignition or detonation leading to knock is. Thanks
Just be careful that although the terms are often thrown around as the same, pre-ignition knock and detonation are not the same thing. In fact detonation (if it occurs) happens after ignition, and usually after spark plug initiation.

Thank you for pointing that out kschachn, I was typing that same thing out as your comment posted.

Pre-ignition and detonation are too often thrown around interchangeably and they just arent the same thing.

False.

The volume percentage of the additive is so small as to make it meaningless in that question.

The higher the octane, the less likely the fuel is to self ignite from compression. That self ignition is what we describe as "pinging".
Exactly. It ignites later. It does not combust faster. Later refers to a point on a timeline while faster refers to a rate.

So, to test my understanding: All things being equal driving a modern GDI equipped automobile on a 'Standard Day' at sea level on a flat road; if I burned 1 liter of non-ethanol Regular 87 octane pure gas and measured the distance traveled, and 1 liter of non-ethanol Premium 93 octane pure gas, the distance traveled in both tests would be very nearly the same?

I began my career as an engineer in the Bayway, NJ refinery. Largest on the East Coast of the USA.

Regular gasoline has a bit MORE BTU per gallon than premium. It also usually has a higher specific gravity than premium. When I used to race SCCA, there was a class, Formula Ford. All the cars used the same basic 4 cylinder Ford engine. Some of the tuners tried to set up the engines to run on regular, as the regular gas actually had more energy per gallon.

I thought higher octane gasoline generally had a higher density. You're saying it is the opposite?

Back