Why did this water pump fail? - 2014 Ram 5.7L Hemi

2012 should be HOAT. According to Stellantis, very bad things happen when you mix HOAT with OAT.
I thought an OAT mixed with everything - which is why the "universal" coolants like Prestone were typically OAT's?

Of course that's not to say very bad things don't happen with Prestone. Ha!

So because this is not technically a saftey issue, is there any place that would be good to report this where over time it could make a difference.

It was a factory fill orange and we planned to do it right on scheudule along with tranny at 50K. Just waiting for weather to improve.

Because my family accumulates miles so slowly we stick to a mileage basis for maint. Not to mention it sees mostly highway trips.

I am doing several drain and fills and getting it switched over to the new purple. Since I stopped doing "flushes" I have not had any radiator / heater core failures.

I thought an OAT mixed with everything - which is why the "universal" coolants like Prestone were typically OAT's?

Of course that's not to say very bad things don't happen with Prestone. Ha!

Well, there is an issue with mixing Mopar HOAT and OAT formulas. There is a TSB about it. Prestone could be OK, but who knows?

More detail on that here:

Gelling can occur. I think it has something to do with the Silicates.
I'm not aware of any issue with mixing the Asian Phosphate OAT's with OAT, though.
I'm not so sure this isn't an urban legend. I've read of techs mixing it in water bottles and leaving it on their boxes for a year with nothing happening.

NOW, I could also believe that maybe you need to simulate engine operating conditions/temperatures to see gelling-- if such a thing occurs.

Thus, I am not saying I believe it is false for sure, merely that I'm skeptical.

Also, I think LOTS of mixing occurs from uneducated owners and you'd think this (gelling) would be a common thing techs see, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. Here again I'm speaking in broad generalities with NO data to back up my statements, soooo.....

I'm not so sure this isn't an urban legend. I've read of techs mixing it in water bottles and leaving it on their boxes for a year with nothing happening.

NOW, I could also believe that maybe you need to simulate engine operating conditions/temperatures to see gelling-- if such a thing occurs.

Thus, I am not saying I believe it is false for sure, merely that I'm skeptical.

Also, I think LOTS of mixing occurs from uneducated owners and you'd think this (gelling) would be a common thing techs see, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. Here again I'm speaking in broad generalities with NO data to back up my statements, soooo.....
I agree. Though, when an OEM comes out with specific warnings plus pictorial evidence, I am inclined to believe that there may be some truth.

I have seen it first hand, its a mess. We had a brand new truck last year that we got on a dealer trade. New it had a loose clamp, and first dealer had fixed clamp and put 4+L in. Came to use with 400 miles or so, and sales guys says ....its got no heat. We looked it over and found rad all full of this sludgy stuff floating around. After looking into it, we found out they did a repair. Got invoice from them, and they had put the old 5 yr coolant in. Oppsie. That one got returned to them.

I have seen it first hand, its a mess. We had a brand new truck last year that we got on a dealer trade. New it had a loose clamp, and first dealer had fixed clamp and put 4+L in. Came to use with 400 miles or so, and sales guys says ....its got no heat. We looked it over and found rad all full of this sludgy stuff floating around. After looking into it, we found out they did a repair. Got invoice from them, and they had put the old 5 yr coolant in. Oppsie. That one got returned to them.
I'm not firing on all cylinders: what's 4+L?

When you say 5 yr coolant you mean? Not extended life coolant I'm guessing?

When you say 5 yr coolant you mean? Not extended life coolant I'm guessing?
IMG_3466.jpg

Just a guess, but maybe someone added windshield washer fluid to the coolant tank at some point. It is easy to do on this vehicle. Filler caps are both square and yellow and on the core support. The only difference is the logo on the cap.
My guess too. Perhaps contamination of some sort in the coolant, but could be age of it too.

My guess too. Perhaps contamination of some sort in the coolant, but could be age of it too.
One of our volunteers did that in our 2012 Ram, ie washer fluid in the coolant! I just shook my head, wasn't much I could do about it once it was done

Back