Why did this water pump fail? - 2014 Ram 5.7L Hemi

Not impressed this only made it to 56k. Most crown vics get upwards of 150K and some make it to 300K on factory pumps.

Any idea why this pump looks so bad inside?

waterpump3.jpeg
waterpump2.jpeg
waterpump1.jpeg

How did the pump fail? From what I can see the impeller does not look bad so was it a bearing or seal failure? With a bearing or seal who knows, crappy parts.

Old water pump on the left. New on the right. Replaced as part of a timing belt service on a 2004 Volvo.

230,000 miles. 19 years in service. Zero corrosion.

Coolant was high quality, properly changed.

That is why the old pump looks so good. zero Corrosion.
2FF26884-C10E-4AD5-B96A-650CB2470B24.jpeg

Strange. Mopar uses an OAT coolant like every other vehicle on the road. I've seen Japanese cars with 10-15 yr old factory fills of POAT coolant and their water pumps look pristine.

I wonder if this is a materials issue with the pump itself.
I'm not sure it affects OP's question, but was it OAT or HOAT in '14?

We've been putting G05 in the '12 Ram Hemi I service for years......I thought that was correct but I could be wrong

Just a guess, but maybe someone added windshield washer fluid to the coolant tank at some point. It is easy to do on this vehicle. Filler caps are both square and yellow and on the core support. The only difference is the logo on the cap.

A pump like that should be living a pretty laid back life. Running off a large diameter pulley behind a big ol fan to keep it cool should keep it happy and quiet. Shouldn't be burning thru sealed bearings at 50k. HOAT or OAT regardless.

I see corrosion on the impeller. Caused by old worn out nasty coolant.
Looks more like a plastic impeller, and the edges hit in that area towards the right side and caused the appearance, that looks like corrosion. A bad bearing would cause that.

Hemi water pumps, and the 3.7 V6/4.7 V8 water pumps that came before them are prone to failure. We see bad hemi WPs all the time, and many low mileage. Likely nothing to do with the coolant, engineering failure on this one.

Hemi water pumps, and the 3.7 V6/4.7 V8 water pumps that came before them are prone to failure. We see bad hemi WPs all the time, and many low mileage. Likely nothing to do with the coolant, engineering failure on this one.

This.....I don't really work on that many Chrysler products when compared to GM/Ford & I replace a lot of Chrysler 5.7L & 4.7L water pumps.

Back