Why did they ever go away from glass head lamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Astro14

You youngsters are all talking about those new-fangled 12 volt bulbs aren’t you?

The 6 volt bulbs are just fine...with a good set of 6 volt driving lights fitted...some of which even turn with the front wheels...

Tucker was the first IIRC?

Long before Tucker (who incorporated some great design features and thoughts), there were Pilot Ray lights...offered as an accessory...

Here is a '31 Packard with a set...they're mechanically linked to the steering knuckles...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/845/2010660.html

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hogwash. There were sealed beams (lousy), then there were e code variants (excellent), now there are plastic assemblies.

The plastic assemblies wouldn't be so bad if the plastic cover was easily replaceable. They're not. It wouldn't be so bad if all manufacturers used good stabilized plastic to protect from uv yellowing/clouding. They don't. So you get stuck with forced obsolescence due to lighting issues that are indeed safety issues.

Sealed beams suck. Lights have gotten better. But their longevity and serviceability is now the issue, and it's not as easy as swapping a set of e codes due to shape and design. And to make it work, many plastic headlight designs don't even outperform sealed beams... they are every bit as bad!

Bingo. The real issue is that the covers aren't replaceable, whether by regulation or design. Glass may be more durable, until a rock strike, and plastic may be less vulnerable, but it clouds over.

And DOT sealed beams did suck, and didn't suck much less even after they started putting halogen bulbs in them. No nostalgia at all for them.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
The makers of the sealed beams fought for years to keep the curved plastic lenses from being certified for highway use.

As I've ranted many times here, I wish they would have succeeded. Yes, many modern headlights are way ahead of what we used to have. But, what we used to have could be put into brand new, factory condition and performance with under $10 spent and a few minutes with a screwdriver. Now, you either have to mess around polishing a plastic housing, or replacing a set of assemblies that may be worth more than the rest of the car.

The old Audi 200 had glass assemblies, rather than sealed beams, and while better in some respects than plastic housings, had obvious pitfalls of their own. In my case, I had to replace them, not because of chips, but the reflector paint inside the assembly flaking away. But, with the F-150, as I mentioned, I can have original factory headlight performance just buy purchasing and installing new sealed beams at a nominal cost, and better than factory performance by purchasing halogen sealed beams.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Kestas
The reason they switched is for styling.

It also helped that it provided a new venue for the automaker to make more money with replacement parts. Instead of $10 apiece to change headlamps, it's now $150. You still have to pay $10 if the bulb burns out.

This is one case where older technology is better. Other than styling, I see no advantage with the new plastic headlamp designs.

Bingo, a double play for manufacturers. They sell more cars cause they are cool looking, and sell more replacement parts. $$$$$ rules the game.

You can easily spend more than $2500 per side for newer headlight replacements- especially new LED designs

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I don't care what these new materials are I don't like the fact that they cloud up and interfere with the light. I'd be willing to pay extra for tempered class.
Definitely agree here.

You youngsters are all talking about those new-fangled 12 volt bulbs aren’t you?

The 6 volt bulbs are just fine...with a good set of 6 volt driving lights fitted...some of which even turn with the front wheels...

Tucker was the first IIRC?

Long before Tucker (who incorporated some great design features and thoughts), there were Pilot Ray lights...offered as an accessory...

Here is a '31 Packard with a set...they're mechanically linked to the steering knuckles...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/845/2010660.html

Jesus I like that car! Interesting about the lights, learn something new all the time.

Jesus I like that car! Interesting about the lights, learn something new all the time.

I love that era as well...Packard, in particular, built a beautiful car...the finest in materials and craftsmanship...

But that devotion to the craft of car-building wasn't cheap. A 1932 Packard sedan with dual side-mounted spares was a $3,000 car...while a 1932 Ford Model A sedan was about $850.

The linkage of the Pilot-Ray lights was just one example of a mechanical solution to deliver things that we now see delivered electronically.

Another example: the 1932 Packard came standard with "Ride Control". Adjustable shock dampening. A beautifully chromed knob (with the words "RIDE CONTROL" engraved) under the dash operated a mechanical pushrod linkage to all 4 shock absorbers, opening and closing the valves within the shocks for a firmer or a smoother ride as the driver preferred.

Driver adjustable suspension.

We didn't see that again until 60 years later, when it was done electronically.

IIRC the early S60s (2001 ish?) used a glass lens over the plastic assembly. My 97 legacy did that as well. Optics stayed clear on those.

Aftermarket reflectors in my experience do not distribute as well as OEMs. (here's looking at you, TWC...). I'd be all over even a $40 clear plastic lens with an easy-bake DIY over a full-unit swap. Especially when you get into the more complex assembly.

-m

The sled still uses tempered glass lenses fortunately. I was looking at an expensive Euro sedan at the grocery store with yellow, opaque 'lenses' and just shaking my head. What a HUGE safety issue. Even worse for those over 50.

Just nuts.......

I agree. Like I say here repeatedly, new, modern headlights are great, but look what happens over time. I can have OEM or better (using halogens) on my F-150 by replacing the sealed beams for a few dollars and a few minutes. That's not happening on my G37. The G37 headlights are worth more than the entire F-150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back