Why did they ever go away from glass head lamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheaper, yes, but not likely for the reasons you think. When you're making plastic turds you have a much bigger window for margin of error than you do when making glass. The glass composition and tempering are easily handled in regular production. You can make some pretty amazing shapes with glass without too much trouble. I know, I've been doing it for over 10 years.

I think they should make headlights with Gorilla Glass myself.

I remember the argument for square headlamps as well when they came out. Again, stylists were arguing they could lower the front decklid to reduce drag on a vehicle when CAFE was a hot issue. They won. Ironically, the year this was implemented (1976), some cars, like the Monte Carlo and LTD II, were made with double decker headlamps, one on top of the other, making a farce of the argument.

Plastic headlights SUCK,plain and simple. They moved to plastic (like everything else that was once glass and metal) because it's cheap. My 300ZX has glass headlights and even being 22 years old,they're absolutely pristine.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Bulbs last longer in the new applications and the light is brighter.

Is that a joke? I replace bulbs about every 2 years. My 93 Toyota Pickup (sold 2 years ago), 95 Chevy Astro (totaled 6 years ago), and dad's 81 F-150 (sold last year) all had their original sealed beams. Once the plastic lenses glaze over, they're certainly not as bright as a glass sealed beam.

The main reason for the move to plastic was due to weight. Auto mfgs were forced to shed weight to improve mpg. The styling benefits came later.

The first time that the headlight went out on my new 1990 Ford Ranger, I started out by trying to remove the headlight [censored]'y. Then, I discovered that you were not supposed to. The "headlight" was a halogen bulb that popped into the housing from the back. Prior to that point, everything I had driven was pre-1977. Everything from a 1948 Chevrolet Stylemaster on up were my daily drivers. Yes, I liked old cars.

I don't care what these new materials are I don't like the fact that they cloud up and interfere with the light. I'd be willing to pay extra for tempered class.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
because plastic is cheaper and lighter and much easier to make curvy like todays cars.

Yup-o. Seems like EU code lights were allowed to be glass for much longer than NA and Japan domestic market vehicles- eg. the EDM versions of my '95 were shipped with dual bulb glass lens headlights, whereas my Canadian model has a single bulb (the [censored] HB1) and plastic lens. But apparently EU eventually got on board with plastic afterwards. Polycarbonate is a terrible material for transmitting light through- the UV from the sun and bulb cause it to oxidize, haze and yellow, but what can you do besides 'refinishing' them every few years?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Originally Posted By: JLTD
Bulbs last longer in the new applications and the light is brighter.

Is that a joke? I replace bulbs about every 2 years. My 93 Toyota Pickup (sold 2 years ago), 95 Chevy Astro (totaled 6 years ago), and dad's 81 F-150 (sold last year) all had their original sealed beams. Once the plastic lenses glaze over, they're certainly not as bright as a glass sealed beam.

I don't think he was joking, but not sure exactly what he was referring to. My Xenons I think are still factory and they're over 9 years old. If you get brighter halogen bulbs, they don't last as long, sort of a trade off, the brighter they are, the shorter the life span. LEDs should probably last the life of the car, but it's probably the electronics that will go before the leds themselves.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Years ago headlights were all simply flat faced rectangles of varying sizes.

Youngster. Years ago headlights were round before they were rectangles!
grin.gif

The makers of the sealed beams fought for years to keep the curved plastic lenses from being certified for highway use.

HAHA I wish-

Im old enough to remember the round days as well !

UD

You youngsters are all talking about those new-fangled 12 volt bulbs aren’t you?

The 6 volt bulbs are just fine...with a good set of 6 volt driving lights fitted...some of which even turn with the front wheels...

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
because plastic is cheaper and lighter and much easier to make curvy like todays cars.

Yup-o. Seems like EU code lights were allowed to be glass for much longer than NA and Japan domestic market vehicles- eg. the EDM versions of my '95 were shipped with dual bulb glass lens headlights, whereas my Canadian model has a single bulb (the [censored] HB1) and plastic lens. But apparently EU eventually got on board with plastic afterwards. Polycarbonate is a terrible material for transmitting light through- the UV from the sun and bulb cause it to oxidize, haze and yellow, but what can you do besides 'refinishing' them every few years?

Well you can replace the lense covers on some cars.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Years ago headlights were all simply flat faced rectangles of varying sizes.

Youngster. Years ago headlights were round before they were rectangles!
grin.gif

The makers of the sealed beams fought for years to keep the curved plastic lenses from being certified for highway use.

HAHA I wish-

Im old enough to remember the round days as well !

UD

You youngsters are all talking about those new-fangled 12 volt bulbs aren’t you?

The 6 volt bulbs are just fine...with a good set of 6 volt driving lights fitted...some of which even turn with the front wheels...

Tucker was the first IIRC?

Claimed reasons: More fuel efficient, through reduced mass and aero drag. Less susceptible to breakage by flying stones. (All true, but trivial compared to increased costs to consumer.)

Real reasons: Pursuit of styling flights of fancy, & more profitable replacement sales. Plastics industry has more lobbying muscle than glass industry.

Last edited:
They can and do make them but they cost a small fortune. This is a large all glass curved vertically and horizontally one for an old CBR 1000F.

Originally Posted By: DallasTexas
I have a W211 as in the video, I use Aerospace 303 to keep em clear.

I'll have to give that a shot. Mine are still fine, not sure why, maybe previous owner had it in a garage.

I also like the oval shape, much better looking than regular square or round headlights. Plastic allows for all different types of styling cues.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

Wasn't it Ford who put up a big stink with DOT/NHTSA about the sealed beam rule and not being able to offer the new for its time Taurus with aerodynamic headlamps? I think it was because DOT still wanted the "nubs" that sealed beams had for aiming reasons.

JDM lights have a different pattern than DOT-spec lights. The JDM light swap for the Lexus LS400 to the JDM ones with a H4/9003 bulb is sometimes done and not recommended due to dazzling drivers. 9004/9007 were mostly North American bulbs, while 9003/9005/9006 were homologated with the EU and DOT to keep them happy I think?

The Guide headlamps in my 1st gen (1995) saturn stayed mint for ~20 years. Even if I still see one on the road its lights look great.

Car was cheap, got good MPG, and had a very decent light output pattern.

Chevy HHR also meets all these metrics. PT Cruiser, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back