Why did I pick up 1.8mpg going to a higher viscosity oil ?

You more than likely have "anything goes" fuel that still has butane in it. Not enhanced RVP for winter and not reduced for summer. Hint, now is a great time to fill your fuel stash as it's typically a pretty cheap time of year.

The reduced drag of thinner air combined with a lack of need for HVAC really helps.

Every engine has an optimum viscosity where friction, ring seal, top end, and bottom end lubrication are balanced at operating temp. At this point, using either a lighter or heavier oil than optimal will reduce performance.

It’s entirely plausible that moving from a lighter oil to a heavier oil could move up this curve and hit this optimal point. The driving factor here would likely be ring seal. Whether this could achieve a measurable 1.5 mpg increase is debatable, but it is a real phenomenon.

Any perceived MPG gains or losses are all in your head. If the mechanic notices it then it is all in his head too. If the fuel manufacturer claims it so then it is all in their head too. If the vehicle calculates it then it is all in the computers head too. Nothing can be discerned without length quantitative analysis and adjustment for controls. Please provide your methods, data, and statistical modeling for prompt and rigorous peer review. Just a placebo effect otherwise. All an illusion.

Any perceived MPG gains or losses are all in your head. If the mechanic notices it then it is all in his head too. If the fuel manufacturer claims it so then it is all in their head too. If the vehicle calculates it then it is all in the computers head too. Nothing can be discerned without length quantitative analysis and adjustment for controls. Please provide your methods, data, and statistical modeling for prompt and rigorous peer review. Just a placebo effect otherwise. All an illusion.
I like the way you write.

I have to ask.........no I better not. :cool: 🤪:D

But in this case they are in his head, at least of sorts. I don't care how many prognostications one can concoct about "ring seal" and other ideas, you don't gain 1.8 MPG when going up two grades.

Nor is anyone making a definitive measurement that isolates the singular variable of the oil in everyday driving. No way, no how. Just because you observe something doesn't allow you to assign that observation to any variable you imagine it may apply.

Warm vs. cold performance is mainly related to 1) winter vs. summer blend fuel and 2) car is up to temp faster in warmer weather. That's it.

But in this case they are in his head, at least of sorts. I don't care how many prognostications one can concoct about "ring seal" and other ideas, you don't gain 1.8 MPG when going up two grades.
“Prognostication”? Who is predicting the future?

Why the quotations on ring seal? Do you disagree that going with a heavier viscosity can measurably improve engine performance by improving ring seal? This has been tested in controlled environments. The info is out there.

Nor is anyone making a definitive measurement that isolates the singular variable of the oil in everyday driving. No way, no how. Just because you observe something doesn't allow you to assign that observation to any variable you imagine it may apply.
Agreed. There’s no way to attribute cause here with any certainty.

Condemning without data or analysis is a different side of the same coin as confirming without data or analysis.

Condemning without data or analysis is a different side of the same coin as confirming without data or analysis.
It’s why the words “likely,” “unlikely,” “plausible,” and “implausible” exist.

Is it likely? No. Is it plausible there could be a positive effect? Yes. If it exists, is that effect the primary driving variable? Not likely.

I change the oil every 4-5k miles. I drive the same trip every day. Live in Southern AZ. This time of year I drive with the windows open. I actually pick up about 2 mpg in the summer with the AC on. 80% of my driving is 50-60 MPH on long stretches. I get about 18 mpg on the highway 75 MPH. This is AZ it's pretty much windy all the time. I have always monitored my mpg on every tank of gas in every vehicle I've owned. If I wasn't obsessive compulsive I wouldn't be on an oil forum 😂

Back