Why 93 Octane in a GDI engine if it isn’t called for?

Yes but in a tangential way. It would be good to see the entire article but from what I can see is that it is volatility and other aspects of fuel related to how the octane rating is achieved. Not in and of itself related to the resistance to pre-ignition leading to typical knock.

I think that is a poorly written abstract and might have more to do with EtOH than anything else.

here is one of 100s

Yeah there is nothing in that web blurb that connects octane rating and LSPI. They recommend a higher octane rating but also in the same sentence note that the causes are not well understood. Nowhere do they make any sort of technical link.
As predicted, you found this source to be inadequate. Funny enough, you could not have read the whole thing in the time it took you to respond
That wont be enough for some on here. Those 300+ articles and the investigation, are just conjecture. They did it for a non issue, that does not exist. Conspiracy! To make us buy EV's haha:(

:confused:+🥴 . I think I wondered upon this at a KIA owners forum . Why doesn't this involve other KIA and HYUNDAIs with G.D.I. ( M.P.I. ? ) or other vehicles from auto manufacturers ? May go back to 90+ for the '18 Accent , especially during warmer months .

IMG_3542.JPG

Last edited:
I think I wondered upon this at a KIA owners forum . Why doesn't this involve other KIA and HYUNDAIs with G.D.I. ( M.P.I. ? ) or other vehicles from other manufactures ? May go back to 90+ for the '18 Accent , especially during warmer months .

View attachment 206165
They just put that "anti knock 91 or higher thing" in there just for fun. There is no scientific data from an accredited source accompanying the owners manual. So all in all complete BS. The mention of knock, (LSPI) and high octane in the same sentence is just to make us here on BITOG argue, no reason other than that.

They just put that "anti knock 91 or higher thing" in there just for fun. There is no scientific data from an accredited source accompanying the owners manual. So all in all complete BS. The mention of knock, (LSPI) and high octane in the same sentence is just to make us here on BITOG argue, no reason other than that.
Where in that owner's manual excerpt does it mention LSPI and octane rating?

I'm starting to wonder, do you understand the difference between pre-ignition knock and LSPI? They aren't the same problem, the causes are different, and any possible mitigation is also different.

Back