Who's tried Autolite Iridium Spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
oldmaninsc - Ford used Autolite and Motorcraft as original equipment, at various . This is where people get the idea that they are the same.
http://en.wilipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

Well first off - your link is misspelled. Should be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

Second, that's fine and I read that some time ago. But you still haven't answered my question.
If Autolite is NOT the manufacturer of Motorcraft plugs - then who is? It's not meant as a rhetorical question. I'd love to know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
oldmaninsc - Ford used Autolite and Motorcraft as original equipment, at various . This is where people get the idea that they are the same.
http://en.wilipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

Well first off - your link is misspelled. Should be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

Second, that's fine and I read that some time ago. But you still haven't answered my question.
If Autolite is NOT the manufacturer of Motorcraft plugs - then who is? It's not meant as a rhetorical question. I'd love to know.

Bendix, no?

I see this thread goes back a long way but I only use NGK IR. Best you can buy IMO. If I couldent find them the only other I would consider would be Denso IR

I swapped my factory iridiums at 50K tracing down a detonation issue. Couldn't find one step colder in iridiums so I went with Bosch platinums. I honestly can't tell a bit of difference in performance. Now that I've found NGK iridiums in the heat range I want, I might go back. However it's so easy to change plugs on my car that a regular plug is an option too. I like seeing what's going on in the combustion chamber.

It's also hard to get over the racing experience with different plugs. I tried experimenting with platinum and even some of the gimmick multi electrode plugs. At 29-30psi boost all I was greeted with was misfires with the multi tipped and detonation with two different brands of platinums. Even though the ignition requirements are much less for the TL, I still lean toward regular plugs changed more often.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I put a set of the Auto Lite Iridium plugs in my 4.6 96 Merc GM in 1-08. I guess I have 25,000 miles on them now and all is well. Good mileage and the engine runs very smooth. 215,000 miles on car.

tig1,

I know you sold the car but did the Autolite Iridium's hold up and perform as well as the OEM Motorcraft Platinum plugs?

How many miles did you get out of them before you sold it?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I know Autolite makes the Motorcraft plugs for the 4.6 3V...and they are a horrible design.

Can you explain what you mean by 'horrible design?' Are you referring to the electrode and ground or the plug casing?

Art - I think he means FORD'S horrible design of the 2 piece plugs with sleeves.
Even the factory recommends dealers to NOT change them.
Horrible is actually a kind word for this design.

OK, So I got bored lately and I changed out the NGK Iridium IX plugs (nothing wrong with them at all so I cleaned the threads with a die, scrubbed corona stains off and shelved them on my desk for later use). I bought some Autolite XPs just for the fun of it. I ran the XPs through the die (M14 - 1.25) and the threads were kinda "gritty" at times, but the die corrected that and I could now install them with confidence because the thread integrity was sound. Its not a bad idea to check the plug threads with a die before you install them, it will save you from damaging the threads on the engine and is a lot cheaper than having the threads repaired due to lousy threads on the spark plug (its a quality issue in mass production components). I also set the gap, checked the resistance of each XP plug and the readings were acceptable. So far the XPs run fine. I'm putting the XPs through the gauntlet this summer. I'll be driving at least 192 miles a week, all summer long and will let you know how they did at the end of summer(granted that they don't fail before then). Wish me luck!

Down South - Plug threads usually have a plating or coating.
Using a die would cut this away.
I have never seen an instance where a plug needed to be recut.

Never had any problems using the die or removing the plugs, the coating stays on just fine. Just give it shot it really won't hurt anything.

Last edited:
I put Autolite Ir in the Astra because they were basically the only premium plug made for the Ecotec 1.8VVT. Took out Bosch oem standards. These plugs run great. Smoothed out the engine, no doubt. The Bosch had only 6k on them, so yeah.

Well, summer is over and those Autolite XP Plugs are still working just fine! I still get excellent MPGs and my engine runs smooth.

put some in a 2002 accord v6 a few months ago, made it run quite a bit better. im really a fan of ngk and nothing else to be honest but i wouldnt have a problem buying autolites again.

I'll chime in for my experiment on various plugs in my family's corolla.

Came with Denso OEM, works fine.

Tried NGK copper/steel cheap plugs, didn't gap it, works fine

Tried Autolite copper/steel, didn't gap it, work like poop, loosen itself out of the vehicle, horrible mileage, etc.

Tried Champion single platinum, this time I gap it first before I put it in, works ok, not as smooth as NGK or Denso, but still decent, mileage is a bit lower (but probably due to other wear and tear of the engine), but still going strong after about 80k miles.

In the Ford Taurus, 1 of the OEM motorcraft has a carbon trace in the porcelain that causes a lot of misfire. The last remaining Autolite single platinum at Pepboys works fine after I re gap the remaining 5 plugs.

Last edited:
Are the autolite so iridiums any good in a 2003 toyota camry? They're having a massive sale on these at meijer for only 3 dollars for a pack of two plugs!

Autolite xp iridiums, it was an autocorrect mistake

How are they for a 2009 ford taurus?i heard autolites are better for the taurus and on domestics than in the toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back