Who’s the manufacturer and where’s the cheapest place to buy these?

I keep my life simple... I go to Wal Mart pick up my Mobil 1 0w20 and a Fram 7317 Oil Filter go to the check out pay for it and move on....KISS Keep It Simple Stupid...... :D

I like keeping things simple too. That’s why I try buy all my oil from Walmart as well, unless I’m looking for something more specific. It’s up to you if you like the OCOD as I just don’t trust it. If you’re happy with cardboard paper end caps do you. IMO, It would be stupid to pay more for that Fram vs the cheaper Supertech. I’ve read bad things about them over the years on a few other car forums I’m on. And you can see a lot of them being dissected on YouTube they don’t look that great… So I’ll keep buying the Supertechs for our daily drivers/5k mi OCI’s… As for all my other rarely driven cars that I do annual OCI’s on, I really like what I see in this MicroGard Select. It looks like really good quality for $11 a year. I’m much happier with that.

Thanks for doing this! I still like the Microgard better. I suppose it's OCD etc... Some will say there are cheaper filters and "That's all I use and my car has 300+K miles"... But I look at the build quality. Price is not a factor when there's only a $5-6 difference. (A $15 plus filter better be cleaning my oil exceptionally well for the cost!) So really, it comes down to the quality and build and no nonsense marketing.
You're welcome JGmazda. You're using the data as it was intended; a holistic view of the choices and then deciding what matters most to you!

Which may translate to around 80% @ 20 microns.
I always remember this classic:
1686514443316.jpg

I like keeping things simple too. That’s why I try buy all my oil from Walmart as well, unless I’m looking for something more specific. It’s up to you if you like the OCOD as I just don’t trust it. If you’re happy with cardboard paper end caps do you. IMO, It would be stupid to pay more for that Fram vs the cheaper Supertech. I’ve read bad things about them over the years on a few other car forums I’m on. And you can see a lot of them being dissected on YouTube they don’t look that great… So I’ll keep buying the Supertechs for our daily drivers/5k mi OCI’s… As for all my other rarely driven cars that I do annual OCI’s on, I really like what I see in this MicroGard Select. It looks like really good quality for $11 a year. I’m much happier with that.
Hi Nicasio,
As I mentioned to JGmazda you're using this analysis perfectly . . . to have comparative data to make a purchase decision on what matters most to you. BTW, all are excellent choices that you use. The white can Supertech ranked #2 and the blue extended life #4. The Microguards are excellent, I too like their build quality. They rank 5th in performance and features so its a very good filter!

How can that be? Also now the Wix XP has something else on their website?
Look how the efficiency vs particle size curves behave (ref Ascent's test data graphs in link below). If a filter is 95% at 30 microns, it will be less efficient at 20 microns and even more less efficient at 15u, 10u, and 5u.

When Fram changed the Ultra I started using Super Tech 20k filters. They are well made and not as media fragil as a similar priced Fram ($5-6). On my Honda I’ll run it 2 oci’s total, 18-20k miles.

When Fram changed the Ultra I started using Super Tech 20k filters. They are well made and not as media fragil as a similar priced Fram ($5-6).
I wouldn't call the Fram PH orange can series of oil filters having "fragile" media. Seen plenty posted here that took lots of abuse and didn't tear.

Ok so I swung by AutoZone and Oreilly's today (5 mins from each other) to pick up some fuel system cleaner and to compare the Microgard and STP filters. Both for 2022 Civic. Verified they are not the same. Also, STP is made in China and is $1 cheaper. STP looks identical to the Premium Guard.View attachment 160612
when you look at the Microgard select's o-ring it's a P-type instead of the squared off o-ring on the STP filter.. Not exactly identical, not trying to argue, just pointing out the differences. The Japaense OEM's like the P-type o-ring for it's sealing ability. I tend to agree. Another plus for Microgard!

when you look at the Microgard select's o-ring it's a P-type instead of the squared off o-ring on the STP filter.. Not exactly identical, not trying to argue, just pointing out the differences. The Japaense OEM's like the P-type o-ring for it's sealing ability. I tend to agree. Another plus for Microgard!
Yes, Microgard Select FTW! :D

So back to this. I ordered 2 of the "Varios Manufacturers" filters from RA per this thread. I got a Parts+ Filter.

I should have paid more attention to the listing because this is not the 7317 size specified for my NIssan VQ40's. This is the short can version. I presume its an acceptable cross since Nissan makes both can sizes. I likely won't run this one - not sure?

Either way, some photos. I noticed it looks I would say identical to the Pentius I just got from Amazon - other than the Pentius is the proper length?

Parts Plus PH2867EX made in Viet Nam - from RA "varios Manufacturer" on right in first pic

vs - Pentius PLXL7317 made in Korea (longer can per pics) - from Amazon on left in first pic

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

Last edited:
I would run it if you already got it cheap enough and you aren't going to return it.. right ? .. Also the Pentius is really tough to beat IMO.
The Pentius is going on next. I like it a lot. Assuming nothing bad happens I will buy a bunch more of it.

Whats the downside to running the shorter Parts+ filter. I run short OCI so I am not afraid of it getting full. Is there a higher delta P across the media since there is less of it - so your running in bypass more often - or ??

The Pentius is going on next. I like it a lot. Assuming nothing bad happens I will buy a bunch more of it.

Whats the downside to running the shorter Parts+ filter. I run short OCI so I am not afraid of it getting full. Is there a higher delta P across the media since there is less of it - so your running in bypass more often - or ??

probably like you mention just keep it a little bit shorter oci.. but other filters for your vehicle and mine also come in the same depth as your Premium Guard/Parts Plus filter. .. I would not hesitate to run that.

Back