Who's the current main-stream favourite for 5w40 applications (high temp/shear)

I'm seeing Castrol Edge Euro 5w40 and Penzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 - are these currently the two preferred main-stream oils for this viscosity and usage?

They're good, and so is the Rotella T6 5w40, if Euro PCMO approval isn't a requirement (it's ACEA E6, a heavy diesel spec, but no A/B rating)

PP Euro is more popular and readily available at Walmart, and I think it's cheaper than Castrol, too :unsure:

It's for gasoline, modern, with cats.
I forget is T6 ok in that condition? Didn't it used to say ok for gas engines too?

I see PP Euro makes the new GF6a/SP spec too, Castrol doesn't seem to. Ouch though, PP is really expensive compared to all the others, $10/qt at Walmart.

Not needing euro spec, it just seems to be what all the 5w40 oils are, so not sure on that, i do want/like the SP/GF6a spec though.

Hmm, also seeing Valvoline full synth in euro spec 5w40 too...

Yes, it's SN, not ILSAC, no 5w40 will be ILSAC GF6 or GF-anything

It might be SP now, though

Sometimes it goes on sale for $25/gal at Napa

If specifically looking for a w40, yes, I'd say the one's you've mentioned. But if your trying to get an oil with an HT/HS of ~3.5, also consider the Mobil1 ESP line in 0/5W-30.
I'm mostly trying to get the higher viscosity, and i'm sorry, i have never quite worked out the HT/HS differences in oils - so whilst i do want that aspect, i also want the 40 aspect as well.

Castrol Euro 5w40 looks like it's at the bottom end of the viscosity for a 40 at 12.8 cSt.

Interestingly, Penzoil EuroL 5w30 must be right at the top of the 30 with a 12.5 cSt.

What i don't know, is if either of them is somehow a better oil.

Castrol Euro 5w40 looks like it's at the bottom end of the viscosity for a 40 at 12.8 cSt.

Interestingly, Penzoil EuroL 5w30 must be right at the top of the 30 with a 12.5 cSt.

What i don't know, is if either of them is somehow a better oil.
I believe it depends on the manufacturer, VAG, has changed what they recommend. Since many of the Audi are Turbos this becomes an additional consideration. My co-worker had an Audi 1.8 turbo and he even reprogrammed the computer to make it faster and Castrol Euro was not recommended. I would likely chose Mobil 1 in Euro Spec.

What car?
How do you drive daily?
Do you track the car?
Is it tuned and/or modified ?
What are your OCi targets: miles/time?

Most 40s carry European manufacturer's approvals. I'd become familiar with those and see how they perform relative to your needs as illustrated by the Lubrizol comparison tool linked below. Each segment of the spider graph will help you understand the approval's capabilities. Lubrizol also warns not to cross compare certifications and/or approvals. But many of us do anyway.

I'm mostly trying to get the higher viscosity, and i'm sorry, i have never quite worked out the HT/HS differences in oils - so whilst i do want that aspect, i also want the 40 aspect as well.
Then choose the xW-40 that has thr highest HTHS viscosity (units in cP). The HTHS may or may not be shown by the manufacturer, you'll have to look at their spec sheets.

Chances are, all main stream xW-40 motor oils will have pretty similar HTHS viscosity, probably within +/- 0.1 cP of each other. The Euro speced oils will typically be a bit better in HTHS. So just choose a good main stream brand name xW-40 Euro speced oil you can readily get, they'll all perform well.

Hey, that comparison chart is really handy, it lets me see the HTHS rating requirements. Doesn't seem like i can get actual HTHS ratings on many oil spec sheets, but if it has the spec, then it seems it's going to be =>3.5.

It's a V8 engine.
It's tuned.
Not tracked, does run hot.
Not daily driven.
OCI is 6 months.

Factory spec oil is 5w20, tuner runs all their versions of the engine with 5w50, helps with a bunch of VCT stuff.

I'm already running 5w30, i'm wanting to split the difference and go 5w40 - which seems to put me into Euro-only territory which automatically brings up the cSt, even within the 5w30 realm, as i posted above, just switching to EuroL bumps up the cSt to 12.5.

Curious why Castrol euro wasn't recommended in that tuned Audi, but i've seen info on here suggesting it's all group III?

So far, the EuroL 5w30 seems pretty good, just can't find it in 5w40 without spending a *lot* more money.
To that end, it seems that 5w30 is EuroL and SN rated, whereas the 5w40 is only in Euro (not L) and is SP rated, doesn't really up the cSt by much, goes from 12.5 to 13.3.

Curious why Castrol euro wasn't recommended in that tuned Audi, but i've seen info on here suggesting it's all group III?
Because people post things and don't understand what they are talking about. Castrol may have or had a marketing agreement with VAG which may have expired or lapsed. It means nothing. What matters is the approval since this is what demonstrates performance. Not brand.

Far less some unnamed and faceless "tuner" making recommendations based on brand if that's even what's being referenced here.

Check out Valvoline Euro 5w40. Available at Advance Auto, $35 for 5qt regular price.

Valvoline Euro 5w40 looks interesting, 13.1 cSt and a listed HTHS of 3.7 and SN rated. $30 on Amazon and $25 on Walmart.

Seems it's starting to become more obvious that the more regularly priced Euro oils are SN and become much more expensive to get the SP rating.

hpl pcmo 5w40. hths 4.248
hpl pcmo premium 5w40. hths 4.024
hpl pcmo premium plus 5w40. hths 3.971
hpl euro 5w40. hths 4.023
hpl super car 5w40. hths 4.023

Back