Who makes BMW's "store brand" oil?

My 2007 N54 has the Castrol brand name on the oil filler cap.

The car came with a brochure that BMW recommends Top Tier gasoline.

BP at the time was not Top Tier yet owned Castrol (yes I own BP stock).

They really need to get all the licensing and paid announcements straight, or someone needs to get fired.

I've used M1 all these years and nothing happened to the car. I'm using Valvoline Euro next.

My 2007 N54 has the Castrol brand name on the oil filler cap.

The car came with a brochure that BMW recommends Top Tier gasoline.

BP at the time was not Top Tier yet owned Castrol (yes I own BP stock).

They really need to get all the licensing and paid announcements straight, or someone needs to get fired.

I've used M1 all these years and nothing happened to the car. I'm using Valvoline Euro next.
That does not have anything to do with approvals for oil. Castrol does not have any special "treatment" when it comes to approvals.

In 80's supplier was FINA. Then Total/FINA, then Total, Then Castrol, then Shell, and now Castrol again.

BMW and European manufacturers don't do licensing, that is GM's forte.

That does not have anything to do with approvals for oil. Castrol does not have any special "treatment" when it comes to approvals.

In 80's supplier was FINA. Then Total/FINA, then Total, Then Castrol, then Shell, and now Castrol again.

BMW and European manufacturers don't do licensing, that is GM's forte.
I interpret it differently than you do.

When the oil cap itself says BMW recommends Castrol, there is encouragement to use it. Licensed, approved, or not.

IMG_7286.jpeg

When the oil cap itself says BMW recommends Castrol, there is encouragement to use it. Licensed, approved, or not.

View attachment 211136
Castrol was the supplier until around 2012. This is why your cap say Castrol on your older pre-2012 car. BMW flipped to Shell and then around 2019 went back to Castrol.

View attachment 211136

My 340i's oil cap is blank, and I've fed it:

BMW TPT 0w-20
Liqui Moly TT6600 0w-20
Pennzoil Euro 5w-40
Motul XClean+ 5w-30
M1 ESP 5w-30

Nothing has come up on the infotainment about its brand preference yet!

Hmmmm, Bardahl and Lucas?
Never bought a Bardhal product my entire life (had their stickers on my bicycle as a kid though)...and for the last 35 years I have lived less than two miles from their factory in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle...not sure if they even make anything there anymore. The rail spur that ran up to the building was closed 20 years ago...The still have the giant neon sign on top of the building.

Never bought a Bardhal product my entire life (had their stickers on my bicycle as a kid though)...and for the last 35 years I have lived less than two miles from their factory in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle...not sure if they even make anything there anymore. The rail spur that ran up to the building was closed 20 years ago...The still have the giant neon sign on top of the building.
I was just kidding around. I remember the Miss Bardahl hydroplane from years back....

Still in business it seems.

Bardahl North America/Headquarters​

Bardahl Manufacturing Corporation
P.O. Box 70607 Seattle, WA 98127-0607
1400 NW 52nd Street
Seattle, WA 98107

I was just kidding around. I remember the Miss Bardahl hydroplane from years back....

Still in business it seems.

Bardahl North America/Headquarters​

Bardahl Manufacturing Corporation
P.O. Box 70607 Seattle, WA 98127-0607
1400 NW 52nd Street
Seattle, WA 98107
There are like 4 or 5 brew pubs all within a couple blocks of there...and a few homeless tents and RVs...but unsure if they still produce at that location or just use it as a distribution point or adminstrative office space. It's not terribly large and rarely see much activity around the building. You would think you would see tanker trucks coming and going like the old days when the the rail car tanks rolled up regularly.

I'm driving by it at least once or twice a week...there is an O'Reillys auto parts just a block away too...where I drop off my used motor oil.

link plz?
for some strange reason there is never a link for that kind of info in europe.we always know about this only from inside dealerships info.
but there is an announcement for ending with shell:

now on 2023 there was still an negotiation with 2 oil blenders and castrol was the winner again.never heard about which the other one was.so from 2024 is castrol again.
who knows why they don't announce that, you might ask.well perhaps there is an explanation of my own. nobody really cares about bmw oil in europe,most of them they dont care that much about oil generally since bmw told people that their engines can work with neuclear oils for 30.000 km.😂

Back