Who knows about Hex Bit Sockets? What's the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve with bit sockets is when they wiggle. Both Craftsman and Proto wiggle.

I got fed up one day and bought Snap-on. Very nice sockets and the bits stay tight.

What are the two best things in the world ? Kitty cats and Snap-on tools.
55.gif

You do not need anything high end for hex sockets. Don't buy junk but more than an average quality brand is wasted money, and yes I live in the rust belt and know quite well what difficult fasteners are like. You will tear up the fastener long before a median grade hex socket is a problem.

You should WANT to tear up the socket before the fastener. Replace socket? Cheap and easy. Get torn up fastener out? PITA. A lot of people don't understand this.

Remember that I don't mean to buy junk, just that in many cases no matter how great a socket is, that greatness can work against you, give you confidence to torque more than the fastener can handle and make the worse (hassle) part fail first. More often than not when I've had a fastener shear off, I would have rather replaced the socket instead. Granted this is just a generality, sometimes the fastener is going to sheer off anyway.

Back to my initial point, hex sockets are an area where there are diminishing returns on buying high end sockets, sooner than many other fasteners configs.

Last edited:
Who makes a better product in HEX bit sockets between Proto Challenger and Armstrong? I'm going to pick up 3/8 Drive in 6 mm and 8 mm so I can use with my 3/8 Drive T handle. I will over tighten them with my half-inch drive too easily. As the half inch Drive is 13 inch long T handle and the 3/8 is only 8 inches long

I've been told Proto is high quality. I pretty much know Armstrong is good. I know they are both awesome in other Arenas but I'm talking hex bit socket here

Last edited:
A local industrial supply store had a decent "remaining" Armstrong inventory. I was able to score 1/2" drive extra long hex bit sockets in 6mm to 17mm. I am not worried about 19mm as a bolt that big should just use hex key and cheater bar. I like the extra long because you have plenty of length to cut or grind them down.

Only bad thing is; any warranty replacement is going to be Taiwanese Gear Wrench I was told. But I got everything at cost; so I did good.

I really like Armstrong stuff; I've managed to gather a few items; knowing the supply will eventually dry up.

I still want to own the Snap-on's; but I've been warned not to chase Snap-on, or I'll go broke quick. I still say they belong to me; just being a little patient.

Last edited:
In December - I gave out several 17 pc (made in USA) Craftsman screw driver sets for $19.99 and free shipping - no expectation they were pro grade - but handy to stash in extra places.

My cousin is collecting a bunch of USA Craftsman tools. I got a 16pc 3/4 drive ratchet set unused, made in USA from him for $150; thought that was pretty decent deal.

I guess the way he talks, Craftsman will eventually be all overseas, he said Western Forge dropped Craftsman over some money too.

I like Craftsman USA; but I am very impressed by Proto professional and SK. Snap-on goes without saying.

I don't understand why a good brass hammer is well over $100? Armstrong, MAC, Proto, Williams, all outrageous.

Last edited:
I used a little screwdriver to clean out the 8mm socket heads on the diff I harvested from the Borman 6. Then I whacked them face on with a 2 lb hammer. Then I drove a Bond-Hur 8 mm Allen wrench into it and gave that a sideways hit with the hammer. 24 of these to take out the axles. The pressed in Craftsman socket has had a floating bit for a decade or more.

I bought one SK 1/2" drive Extra long 10mm hex bit socket on Zoro. The quality is impressive. there's no hole or no roll pin or no set screws. It's Pressed in and the hex bit looks like some high-quality Hardened Steel. It has a gray color. Not just a Black Bhondus Shaft like Armstrong uses. Good stuff. I'd like to have a set of them.

I have had the best service from Hazet 985 socket bits and Stahlwille XZN and 3/8 drive hex sockets. All the rest have been mediocre with the worst ones being the Snap-On with the bit held in the socket by a roll pin.

For my limited non-pro use I have been happy with Neiko Torx, Triple square and Hex socket bits.

Some have seen use on a breaker bar and held up well. Never stripped a fastener or bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back