Proper size hex bits with small Allen ends?

T30 is 3/8" .375" 5.2mm Not even close to your initial posts.

Are we talking about about a different location of the fastener?

Or excessive crud, corruption, rust, grease, etc?
:unsure: :eek::rolleyes:
I suspect that a hex fit in there as an initial try because it notched in right around the open center section with the points of the hex nesting in the openings for the Torx.

it’s almost entirely blind and backwards. So it’s matter of trying to figure what bits fit where.

As noted, Torx not hex, so that’s solved.

I sure looks like a hex in the picture but a torx will take it out if you can get on it. That is going to be a real bugger, the pump usually gets pulled for something in that area but that is something you do not reaally need to get into. How bad is the leak?

Yeah the pictures are hard to get and are deceiving. I agree about removing the IP. Not exactly something I want to do but it is the right approach fwiw.

Regarding how bad it is, I cleaned everything up well on Saturday and then again really well on Sunday.

Since yesterday afternoon when Imput the paper towel down, this much oil has seeped.

1A267365-93E3-4FF4-A8C4-56A603658A66.jpeg
FCA05AA6-4FC1-4A52-AF15-E7F62378971C.jpeg

One pic was from up top, the other underneath.

Thing is when it’s running, it will drip enough to fill the engine mount hole in maybe 30 miles.

C3E2F355-81A4-4159-A66B-C3761E4BA4EE.jpeg

I cleaned the arm, left the oil in its usual spots just for reference. But it will seep down the arm into that spot then onto the engine mount, side of the block, and drop off the oil pan when it’s left to leak long enough.

It is a chance to replace the vacuum pump since mine is original on this car…

• Wow
Reactions: D60
That needs to be fixed, the mount rubber can be damaged. If you cant get at the bolts pulling the pump is the thing to do.
Yeah. First I pulled the vacuum pump. Then I’ll crank the engine, lock the IP, take off all the rest and pull the pump. Should be a fast activity to replace the seals once out. Just a pain to take it out.

It has the old style vacuum pump without metal caged bearings so it’s prudent to change that too…

27A932CE-5A59-4858-B262-BECCE3DC028E.jpeg
8A9FE702-A380-4916-8D42-F7A0EB139FF1.jpeg
4AF01CDA-5E9C-458C-8B4A-1052A913F11C.jpeg

Not bad after 206k miles though.

I have a small Vise Grips for these occasions. It would chew up the outside of the head but... I'd say by 1990 the female hex head drive was superseded by the female Torx heads

Back