Who is using a synblend / semi-synthetic oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car ate up 10w30 Pennzoil platinum (silver bottle) 1 qt in 3k
(Alarming for me as ive never seen it eat that much)
I tried out QS hi mi syn blend ( 1/2 qt in 5k miles)
Valvoline maxlife syn blend 2k miles and no make up needed yet
Seems good to me...i like em!
but my next fill from the stash is gonna be M1 hi mi

MAxlife red bottle semi-syn 10W-40 in the big Bronco.

But most everybody is running semi-syn. It's just not stressed on the label. Most full synthetics have some dino as carrier for the add pack. Short of very expensive boutique oils, I don't thing there is a real "all synthetic oil" out there ...

My '04 Ranger has seen only MC synthetic blend 5w20, FL400S filters, 5K intervals.
Wife's '04 Explorer has been on MC synthetic blend 5w30, FL820S, 4K intervals.
Both 1MZFE's in Toyota and Lexus also been upgraded to MC synthetic blend 5w30. Filters are usually the FL910S, 4-5K intervals.

I'm thinking about switching to a synthetic blend in both of our cars. For me I short trip a lot since I'm very close to the base and the lady just does the usual errands around town. We both occasionally (twice a month) do a short road trip to Dallas from Killeen (roughly 160 miles one way). I stuck with full synthetic because in a sense better but with our driving habits it's pretty much a waste of money from what I'm learning through BITOG. Anyone else think synthetic blends are good for short tripping and doing roughly 5k-6k mile OCIs?

I have been using synthetic blends for years. I'm not using full synthetics in anything right now and have not for a very long time.

Better off to buy two 5 quart jugs (one synthetic / one conventional) and blend your own. Most-all blenders only add 25-30% synthetic to the syn-blend jug and charge you a half0way point between what a conventional costs and what a synthetic costs.

If they are pricing the product half-way, then why not give you half-way (50% synthetic in that jug?
Buy your own and mix them. And don't believe the blenders when they say it's not good to mix, because it's not chemically perfected to their own recipe. All they're telling us with an answer like that is that they love to sell synblends, because it's most profitable to them.

Baloney! Don't be ripped-off with these syn-blends that are mostly conventional oil inside that bottle. I have one prior vehicle where I went the entire lifetime of the vehicle (245K) blending oil for it and when I drove it to the junkyard because of bad-bad rust all over the body, the dipstick was still clear and the vehicle never even smoked upon acceleration.

Valvoline Max-Life 5W30 red bottle. I get it delivered to my door via Amazon prime cheaper than I can get PYB at Autozone or O'Reilly's.

Last edited:
I'm using Castrol GTX 10w-40 High Mileage (Syn Blend) in my '82 Mustang (3.3 I6).

The previous owner filled it with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 the day before I drove it from Nashville to Dallas and it burned 3/4 quart in 650 miles. I have no idea what had been used before. I'm assuming long OCIs with conventional, judging from what it looks like under the valve cover.

I changed it again when I got it home. So far, after 3 weeks, it's barely used any 10W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back