“Synthetic oil absorbs more water than conventional”

I will make this without comment just to get an unbiased input.

I was at the KTM dealer the other day after doing plenty of research. The website mentions the recommended oil is a Motorex semi-synthetic. While talking with the sales guy about the Motorex since I’ve never used it, I mentioned that I wondered why KTM recommended the semi-syn when Motorex also offers a full syn oil in the same viscosity.

Sales guy says, “if you were in the south you could use the full syn oil, but here in the Midwest where we have high and low temps and lots of humidity, the full syn oil will absorb more water and cause corrosion. The semi-syn is better in that regard.”

Comment away 🤣

The key words here are - "The Sales Guy". The man likely couldn't find Switzerland on a map, never heard of tribology and thinks TBN is a religious television broadcast.

Sorry, these stories just seem to keep getting better and better.

The key words here are - "The Sales Guy". The man likely couldn't find Switzerland on a map, never heard of tribology and thinks TBN is a religious television broadcast.

The ironic thing...............well OK, maybe a couple things, just a few Amsoil dealers know a little more than some guy in a store selling oil that was in a warehouse, or warehouses, shipped to a real store and sold in a way that somehow seems more tasteful to handful of people who can't see out of the box.

Yes, but the sales guy was actually promoting the oil that cost half as much as the oil I was looking at, so he doesn’t seem like a very smart sales guy lol

I don’t know because I haven’t checked the SDS, but I’d doubt that the Motorex (or the Castrol he recommended) contain POE, certainly in amounts that would result in significant absorption.

I'm referring to dubious "general historical oil knowledge", not any specific product, that is often dispensed by motor enthusiasts, (e.g. 5w is too thin in winter, don't use pennzoil because it has wax, can't switch between syn and conventional) This tidbit might have some historical basis but is not understood as to modern relevancy or accuracy.

I'm referring to dubious "general historical oil knowledge", not any specific product, that is often dispensed by motor enthusiasts, (e.g. 5w is too thin in winter, don't use pennzoil because it has wax, can't switch between syn and conventional) This tidbit might have some historical basis but is not understood as to modern relevancy or accuracy.
Listening to the sales guy just made me resolute that if I get the KTM, I will be buying a factory service manual and doing everything except tire replacements as DIY…

Back