Who is buying vehicles?

Originally Posted by loneryder
Originally Posted by madRiver
I think they are sitting and waiting figuring it out. Do you slash price as you are losing money ?

The only reaction on new car is 72 month 0% financing with delays in first payment.

Infinity and Mitsubishi are goners once dust settles in USA. Expect fire sale with them.

How about 84 months. No interest. You take that deal and you will be so upside down!

People who buy these $65k trucks on a $26k car salary take that deal all the time....and with interest. And overpriced trucks is what keeps the GM, Ford Chrysler afloat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by stanlee
Originally Posted by loneryder
Originally Posted by madRiver
I think they are sitting and waiting figuring it out. Do you slash price as you are losing money ?

The only reaction on new car is 72 month 0% financing with delays in first payment.

Infinity and Mitsubishi are goners once dust settles in USA. Expect fire sale with them.

How about 84 months. No interest. You take that deal and you will be so upside down!

People who buy these $65k trucks on a $26k car salary take that deal all the time....and with interest. And overpriced trucks is what keeps the GM, Ford Chrysler afloat.

What is "over priced" Maybe at MSRP....but then you can get a SIlverado at $14,000.00 off MSRP all day long here in Utah-at any Chevrolet dealership. So is it over priced at MSRP-or are you saying they are still "over priced" when you are at $14,000.00 below sticker? Please clarify.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Trucks are grossly overpriced even at massive discounts like ^^^

Used to be the cheapest vehicle you could get was a truck, odd how times changed.

Update: my brother just picked up a 2017 Mazda 6 that had 25,800 miles on it. he traded in his 2007 Trailblazer.

My parents are also looking at selling 2 of theirs and picking up 1 newer one as well.

Last edited:
Still negotiating on the new Camry. The dealer I went to yesterday sold 47 units on Saturday only. They made their quota for the month and beat last year same time. I left 1200.00 off target. Now I will negotiate with the dealer I have been buying from the last 35 years. Not a big deal if it doesn't happen. Some tips:

1. Negotiate purchase price. Don't let them know how you are paying.
2. If you are trading don't let them know that either.
3. Don't fall into the trap of monthly payment.
4. Work from invoice not MSRP or the sticker to the right.
5. Don't become married to the vehicle.
6. Sell your vehicle don't trade it.
7. Work with many dealers for a vehicle.
8. Be patient and be prepared to walk out.

On Monday I picked up a 2020 Camry SE XP Package, red, moon roof, lots of features that may take many years to figure out. The price was 30,400 and I picked it up for 23,700. It was in the showroom with 5 miles on it. It was very tough to negotiate it down and my wife was inflicting some pressure on me to take it. If I didn't buy it someone would have within the next day or so. It has a whopping 150 miles on it now. Now I have to sell my 2014.5 Camry. Nothing like the smell of a new car!

Originally Posted by sloinker
I suspect that there are going to be many repossessions in the months ahead. This will depress the used car market and impinge on the new car market. The only thing that may prop up car prices to any extent is the furlough on manufacturing presently. I wholly believe that the new car market is going to see a fire-sale unlike anything ever seen before and starting this summer. You very well may see a dropout from the market among lesser selling brands, Mitsubishi, Alfa-Romeo,Fiat, Nissan/infiniti and possibly some larger dominoes being engulfed by bigger fish too. With the economy supposedly opening up, a lot of the near future car business is going to hinge on how fast and smooth that opening becomes and whether the nation is slapped back into shelter at home edicts if it opens too rapidly. Interesting times ahead.

I bet the reprosessions will be delayed if they start at all. This epidemic is terrible but it has forced us to pull together unlike the current generations have before. We as a people will survive and then prosper. We will struggle and all of us will pay a unexpected price but in the end we will come out stronger and ahead. Strange how life works.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by sloinker
I suspect that there are going to be many repossessions in the months ahead. This will depress the used car market and impinge on the new car market. The only thing that may prop up car prices to any extent is the furlough on manufacturing presently. I wholly believe that the new car market is going to see a fire-sale unlike anything ever seen before and starting this summer. You very well may see a dropout from the market among lesser selling brands, Mitsubishi, Alfa-Romeo,Fiat, Nissan/infiniti and possibly some larger dominoes being engulfed by bigger fish too. With the economy supposedly opening up, a lot of the near future car business is going to hinge on how fast and smooth that opening becomes and whether the nation is slapped back into shelter at home edicts if it opens too rapidly. Interesting times ahead.

I bet the reprosessions will be delayed if they start at all. This epidemic is terrible but it has forced us to pull together unlike the current generations have before. We as a people will survive and then prosper. We will struggle and all of us will pay a unexpected price but in the end we will come out stronger and ahead. Strange how life works.

This one is kinda strange--plenty of credit to go around, plenty of desire for us to get back to normal. And perhaps even the money to do so (or at least the credit). I'm sure there will be ripples but my crystal ball is really murky on this one.

Back