Who is buying vehicles?

Unless you buy online, car dealers in NY are still closed.

But I'm waiting to see what happens with used prices now. Unless my F350 scatters important parts all over the road or breaks in half, I've pushed off buying a "new" truck until next year.

I'm really tempted to get another used car, but as others said, I don't really see prices dropping and I don't see anything that catches my eye. My real problem is that I can't decide which of the two cars to get rid of if I were to get another car because have 3 would be a little crazy. One is older with less miles but I like driving it as it has a few more features than the other car which is newer but has more miles. They're both kinda loaded but each car has a couple features the other one doesn't.

That's also where I am. My current truck has sentimental value so I don't want to get rid of it (or what's left of it), but I won't need two truck. And I don't want to DD a truck, so does that mean I buy a newer truck and something like a Mirage?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm really tempted to get another used car, but as others said, I don't really see prices dropping and I don't see anything that catches my eye. My real problem is that I can't decide which of the two cars to get rid of if I were to get another car because have 3 would be a little crazy. One is older with less miles but I like driving.

I would need to get rid of 2 cars to justify another.

What's strange is the USED cars I've been watching if anything are a little more expensive.

New vehicles seem to be the only ones down in price slightly.

At least going by asking prices, it's unfortunate the
"what they actually sold for" metrics are so flawed.

My parents just bought a new Acura RDX. Compared to before the pandemic, I don't think the price came down very much but the dealer was certainly a lot more accommodating during the buying process. The dealer negotiated over the phone, drove it 80 miles to their house for them to test drive, and did all of the paperwork in their living room.

I am going to keep pushing to buy that new Camry and see what happens. A tree fell down and blocked my driveway and prevented me from heading to the dealership. I mainly want to go to look real quick and leave. Its not the dealer I have been negotiating with. The one I have been negotiate with I have been buying from for the last 35 years. I will probably opt for the .9% at 60 months.

Looks like toyota finally jumped on the 0% bandwagon, I've been interested in a tacoma let's see if dealers are willing to deal on price.

Originally Posted by CT8

How about 84 months. No interest. You take that deal and you will be so upside down!

But then I can afford the payments on a car that I can't afford.[/quote]

So, let's say it is me. I could pay cash for a leftover 2019 Ram, or put down a decent down payment, and finance out 84 months. I then put that money aside, or invest. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that, if you have the money to back it up. Kind of a generalized statement on your part.

Originally Posted by mjk
Originally Posted by CT8

How about 84 months. No interest. You take that deal and you will be so upside down!

But then I can afford the payments on a car that I can't afford.

So, let's say it is me. I could pay cash for a leftover 2019 Ram, or put down a decent down payment, and finance out 84 months. I then put that money aside, or invest. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that, if you have the money to back it up. Kind of a generalized statement on your part.[/quote]

You skip risk in investing which as evidenced last month is there. You can borrow to invest but always a risk you left out.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I have them down a little over 30% off. That is probably the max discount at this point.

I got close to 50% off MSRP on a brand new 2013 in Nov 2014 because they wanted to finish year end finances with it off the books. I had to pay cash within 48 hours and have it off their lot.

I have a feeling that if you "don't really need" a vehicle and periodically nag on a left over and "wait them out" you might get an even better deal.

It depends are you satisfied with the price?

Or don't you really care and can gamble loosing the deal?

At the end of the day it only depends if your happy with the outcome.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by Amkeer
I have them down a little over 30% off. That is probably the max discount at this point.

I got close to 50% off MSRP on a brand new 2013 in Nov 2014 because they wanted to finish year end finances with it off the books. I had to pay cash within 48 hours and have it off their lot.

I have a feeling that if you "don't really need" a vehicle and periodically nag on a left over and "wait them out" you might get an even better deal.

It depends are you satisfied with the price?

Or don't you really care and can gamble loosing the deal?

At the end of the day it only depends if your happy with the outcome.

Good Luck

Another relatively new-ish option is the demo/loaner models. preferably something that not everybody wants. That's how I got my GSW.

I just traded my Mustang for this a few weeks ago. The VW dealer said they met their new car sales numbers for March. I'd be curious about April's results. Not seeing anything marketing-wise that suggests they're hurting too badly.

17ST.jpg

I just bought a brand new 2019 Honda Fit for ~20% off. They also gave me "excellent" value for my 11 year old, 140,000 mile trade (sight unseen). Used cars 2-3 years old, with 30,000 miles plus were not much less in price in my search (several were even more expensive).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kjbock
I just bought a brand new 2019 Honda Fit for ~20% off. They also gave me "excellent" value for my 11 year old, 140,000 mile trade (sight unseen). Used cars 2-3 years old, with 30,000 miles plus were not much less in price in my search (several were even more expensive).

That is what I am seeing, used cars are still overpriced

New are getting less expensive

I just got an email today from one of the car purchasing websites saying to WAIT

The analysis has shown that while auction prices have dropped 10-20%, retail has only decreased 1-2%

They suggest waiting until June or July for retail pricing of used vehicles to catch up. They're predicting 15-26% decreases in used prices over the summer.

I checked this today; the only thing that kept me off, I don't need a newer car yet; 2014 Mazda Grand Touring, with 60K on the odometer; asking $13.9K

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited:
I'm still circling the 2017 540i xDrive M Sport and hoping the price will drop enough that I can swing adding the M Performance Power and Sound Kit.

Back