Who has the slowest internet here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go over my limit every month and spend a week or so at 3G 600kbps with My Verizon. But before that I get about 5-8mbps download.

Here in the south hills of Pittsburgh with Comcast checking it three times my ping ranges from 23 ms to 214 ms, Download ranges from 32.53 Mbps to 54.08 Mbps, and Upload ranges from 5.95 Mbps to 6.12 Mbps.

We're right there with you.
Sites like this one are no issue but image heavy sites are something to avoid.
We can download images, but the process is slow.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Until just a month ago there was no landline internet service available at all here so I can't complain.

Seems reasonable. I would be happy with that speed. At least I could watch videos. If I find a good clip I'll watch them at 144 kbps but far from high-def.

Cheapest Optimum internet only is 32 download 37 upload for me in north nj. I pay about 60 a month, and I stream all of my TV. Keeps up pretty well, but not as well as when I paid extra for the boost ($80 a month)

Have at last sorted out what's been screwing up my internet speed!

My internet as far as my phones, tablet & TV are concerned is absolutely fine but when I connect up my laptop, I get a connection but all the other wifi attached devices (like the wife's phone) slow to a crawl. My laptop is relatively new & bang up-to-date but I had this same problem with my old Asus laptop too.

After much faffing about, I discover the Microsoft OneDrive is trying to upload every photo & movie clip on my harddrive to The Cloud (which is several GB of stuff!). It does this EVERY SINGLE TIME I LOG INTO WINDOWS!!!! It calls this process 'syncing' but it seems to matter not one jot that not one single file has changed since the last time it wanted to 'sync' (which might have been just 15 minutes ago), it just uploads the whole lot again!

Fixed it now & it's a 100% better...

Last edited:

This is my 25 MB DSL bundled with a POTS landline with a fixed price-for-life of $92 incl all taxes and fees. It's as good as I'm going to get unless I want to pay a lot more with Spectrum for 100 MB.

DSL can be really slowed down by improper indoor wiring. Your modem should connect directly to the network box on the outside of the house and nothing else. Use cat3 or cat5e cable for this connection, unless it is only a few feet then you can use the DSL rated cord that came with the modem. If you have analog phone service on the same line, tee it off through one DSL filter and connect all the analog phones and old wiring to the other side of that filter.

Anyone running DSL should have SQM active in their router. This can make the situation workable even with Dropbox or Windows cloud trying to upload everything.

Originally Posted By: mk378
DSL can be really slowed down by improper indoor wiring. Your modem should connect directly to the network box on the outside of the house and nothing else.

Thanks for the ideas! Yes it does connect in that fashion. The issue is the distance from their hub which is 4-5 four miles. They told me this is the limit on speed because of the distance.

Originally Posted By: mk378
DSL can be really slowed down by improper indoor wiring. Your modem should connect directly to the network box on the outside of the house and nothing else. Use cat3 or cat5e cable for this connection, unless it is only a few feet then you can use the DSL rated cord that came with the modem. If you have analog phone service on the same line, tee it off through one DSL filter and connect all the analog phones and old wiring to the other side of that filter.

Anyone running DSL should have SQM active in their router. This can make the situation workable even with Dropbox or Windows cloud trying to upload everything.

I'd go one step further, in fact I did, back when I ran DSL, and that was installing a whole house filter a couple of feet from the NID. The modem plugs directly into that, the rest of the house, if applicable, is plugged into or connected to the designated port/posts on this device. That's about as good as you can get for DSL isolation and allowed me to run a 99% RCO with over two years of uptime on a single line synch.

I ran CAT6+ from the NID into the house into the splitter and had the modem directly connected at that point. I then had a run to my router from the modem.

There are also filters that are able to be snapped directly into the NID, but that wouldn't have worked in my application.

The TI product looks like this:
PR65359V6.JPG

And is part # 80-410V

Originally Posted By: Rand
my download is good and honestly the upload isnt so bad.. until recently we had 1mbit upload except on super expensive plans then you had 5mbit upload

currently
10mbit upload 100mbit download but they over-provision about 10%

Yes, we have exactly the same results as you here in South Carolina.
We also have Spectrum and quite, dare I say? Happy with them.
Service has been rock solid with our own equipment, TP Link modem and TP Link Archer C7 AC 1750 router.

We pay 54.95 per month.
We do have our electric company running fiber optic and will have the option of switching to them for 49.95 offering 100/100 service at that price.
They also will be offering 1gb up and down for $89.95

Last edited:
I am happy with spectrum now.

a couple years ago I was on a heavily overloaded node.

every evening my internet would die.. and they would act stupid on phone.

they split/upgraded my node and boom works pretty much perfect over 99% of the time.

my other option is at&t elite dsl 6mbit for 39.99 ugh.

IF I was the OP I'd look into putting up a cell phone antenna and trying to get cell service for internet

Originally Posted By: Rand
I am happy with spectrum now.

a couple years ago I was on a heavily overloaded node.

every evening my internet would die.. and they would act stupid on phone.

they split/upgraded my node and boom works pretty much perfect over 99% of the time.

my other option is at&t elite dsl 6mbit for 39.99 ugh.

IF I was the OP I'd look into putting up a cell phone antenna and trying to get cell service for internet

You need a cellular internet card, but speed won't be of essence.

I have one company dedicated solely for Internet and another for AT&T Tv thru their recent buyout of DirectTv. This way, it keeps my reliability sky high cause 1 service down, doesn't affect or effect the other.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Originally Posted By: Ewag2983
WRlFCut.jpg

I'm embarrassed.
7414127245.png

My pings at night: (when everybody 's watching cable)
1,500-2,700 ms

Originally Posted By: Blaze
7268630188.png

This is mine on a good day and why I stick to all text sites like BITOG. Surprised I was even able to test. In the past when I tried it would just drop or not load.

You might want to change your username ...
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back