Whirring Noise in Driver's Seat Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
Let me know what you discover. You haven't had any belts changed lately, have you?

I finally had time to chase down the "whirring/zinging" noise.

I released the serpentine belt (had to go get a new release bar kit) and spun the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and lastly, the "smooth" idler pulley on top-front of the engine. Bingo! Removed it and the bearing felt 'gritty.'

Replaced it with a new Litens pulley from AAP.

No more "whirring/zinging" noise.

I think the serpentine belt had been replaced within the last 3-5 years and appeared to be almost new.

Last edited:
Get up to speed and have the noise happening, then release the gas pedal and put the transmission in neutral so the engine idles. If the noise is still there it's not from the engine, belts, etc.

Gotcha!

I have replaced the center support bearing, transmission mount and the right rear wheel bearing assembly with Toyota OEM parts. Mechanic said he is now getting
a vibration over certain areas of roads but it is not consistent. He called me last night. He has gone back and redone all three procedures to no avail. He said it will
be smooth as silk on interstate but on different backroads he feels a vibration.

Lighting has damaged the wiring in his house and he said he is sorry but he doesn't know what else to do.

I didn't mention earlier but the right rear wheel bearing was bad but we don't think that was the whirring noise. Lexus mechanic said these LS's are notorious for transmission mounts going bad so we replaced it as well.

SOLVED!!!!

After several hundreds of dollars, my mechanic found the noise.

You ain't gonna believe it!

Well, you probably will....

The rubber boot beneath my shifter was split wide open letting all kings of noise come in. Whine, wind, road....That's why it only got loud at 40 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back