Which would you choose John Deere stx38 or jd gx85

The STX38. The STX38 would likely have a 12.5hp Kohler Command with pressure lube and the SX85 will have a 13hp flathead Briggs. They are both decent if maintained, but those Deere rear engine riders have some funky transmission set ups that can be problematic.

The STX hands down. Very stout, simple mower, especially if it is the 5 speed.

The STX38. The STX38 would likely have a 12.5hp Kohler Command with pressure lube and the SX85 will have a 13hp flathead Briggs. They are both decent if maintained, but those Deere rear engine riders have some funky transmission set ups that can be problematic.
Is the sx85 and gx85 similar I’m looking at a gx85

$450 and $550 mowers and answer to question is 25 cents, the quarter to flip up to 7 times until a best of 7 solution is reached. Good luck.

Snagged the little stx38 it’ll do good for what I need. Runs good is decent shape for its age. I’m happy with it.
IMG_0463.jpeg

This is for the .5 acres? If so, you will have this until you are fertilizer for the grass. :)
Yep sure is. I plan on keeping it as long as possible I cut the grass with it today and it did a great job. Cuts well feels tight and solid. Very happy with it so far.

I bought a used STX38 for my dearly departed Grandmother's house.
My brother and I mowed her place for years with it. She had a large yard and it was really too small of mower for the yard, but it was dependable , ran great, and mowed very nicely.
That Kohler is a great engine, the only trouble I ever had was the ignition coil. It would quit when the engine got warm, and start back up once it cooled off.
Great inexpensive mower for a smaller yard.

Is it a yellow deck or black? I much prefer the S100 with the battery behind the engine than having that huge gas tank there.
Do these have the Kohler that likes to loosen the bolts and crack?

Is it a yellow deck or black? I much prefer the S100 with the battery behind the engine than having that huge gas tank there.
Do these have the Kohler that likes to loosen the bolts and crack?
No, those are the newer Kohler Courage engines. The Command on these tractors is a much better engine.

A little late, but I put lots of hours on a 5spd STX38 as a kid mowing my neighbor's 2 to 3 acres. Lots of tall grass and rambunctious youth operating it and that Kohler Command just coming back for more.

Now as an adult I still maintain the property for the family (though the original owner and his wife have long since passed away) with my own equipment.

Back