Which viscosity this OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
6.0 Chevy. Calls for 5w-30. I always use full synthetic. I've always used 5w-30 and do not have any consumption or leaks at 95k miles.
I tow in summer, but never in winter. The upcoming OCI will run from end of November to April. Sits outside in wide-open wind area in Illinois winter. Any type of heater is not an option.
Q—should I use an 0w-30 for this OCI? It always starts, and the temp never exceeds 5w rating, but would 0w only provide potential benefits with zero negatives?

At 95K, I would continue to use the oil that gave me no oil consumption between OCI. If you want to be adventurous, try the 0W30. I can see some winter benefits and not a lot of negatives. New oil consumption might be one.

I would stick with the 5w30. Easy to find and the difference between 5w and 0w is tiny. Stick with what has worked so far.

Originally Posted by lukejo
6.0 Chevy. Calls for 5w-30. I always use full synthetic. I've always used 5w-30 and do not have any consumption or leaks at 95k miles.

Never try to fix something that's not even giving you a clue it might need even the tiniest repair. Stay with what's working very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back