Which Vehicle Should I get rid off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill always have at least one spare car. In my driving lifetime, there has been at least 10 instances where I needed to be to work or somewhere important, went out to my primary car to find the battery dead or a tire flat. Having a second car means you get to work on time, and dont get fired.

If oil is all the problem and nothing more...sell the other one and see if a little money can't fix your oil burner. Throw a couple cans of liquimoly motor oil saver at it. Change pcv valve too. Might be all that you need. Just don't trade either car for anything but another Honda. All things..they seem to work okay for you.

Different strokes. 1 car and a few possible taxi rides seems more economical and less hassle than 2 cars.

Depends. Do you need money more or a car that will last longer? Selling both and getting something a bit newer with less miles is another consideration that seems good. If you plan on keeping the 2nd car a long time keep the 08.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Ill always have at least one spare car. In my driving lifetime, there has been at least 10 instances where I needed to be to work or somewhere important, went out to my primary car to find the battery dead or a tire flat. Having a second car means you get to work on time, and dont get fired.

If you get fired for being late at a job you must be highly replaceable in that career and easy to train replacement. As manager of 6 people I could not fathom the thought of interviewing, on-boarding and then struggling with a new hire/replacement because I was upset a person did not show up due to car problems.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Different strokes. 1 car and a few possible taxi rides seems more economical and less hassle than 2 cars.

Assuming you can get a taxi, that is.

Most of the shops around me are of the "drop it off for the day" sort. Not that I blame them (I've turned enough wrenches to know that nothing goes to plan), but unless if I want to take a day plus off from work, then having another vehicle is nice.

I have a 2005 Civic and love the car (same generation as 2003) but have numerous friends whose transmissions died on there 2001 -2003 Civics. I would keep the 2008.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I'd keep the '08

It's marginally safer, and doesn't burn oil

On a long enough timeline, it's more promising and tolerable

That's what I'd to, too, for the same reasons.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I'd put both up and see what goes first.

With his luck someone will come and want to buy both cars. Lol

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I'd put both up and see what goes first.

With his luck someone will come and want to buy both cars. Lol

Now that's funny! LOL

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Alright, I believe it's a decision time for me. Fun, fun, ...

I have to sell one vehicle after recently acquiring an Acura TSX, which I am keeping. So left with 2, out which I have to get rid of one. Which one do you suggest?

1- 2003 Honda Civic LX - 150k, AT and had it since last 6-7 years and bought it with 60k on it. Did all front suspension components in 2017, except inner tie rods and axle, otherwise all front suspension is new. Timings belt, WP is good and have almost brand new Michelin tires, as well as all other fluids are fresh and maintenance is up to date. But it does burn oil, otherwise running like a champ and have had religious changes for ATF with Honda ATF.

2-2008 Honda Civic LX - 155k, AT and bought it in 2017. Front 2 tires will possibly need to be replaced in next few thousand miles. Suspension still seems to be original, otherwise running like a champ. Doesn't burn oil or anything and PO replaced whole A/C compressor, blower etc... and have done other regular maintenance too.

Now real question is, which one I should get rid of? Seem like 2008 is a safe bet since I won't be getting too much loss. 03 can be driven to ground and probably won't sell for much right now.

Anything you guys would suggest? Thanks for your help and advice
thumbsup2.gif

Keep them all, looks good in the driveway, folks think your rich and just drive one a day to even out the wear..gives you plenty of things to do keeping up 3 oil changes and it gives one something to talk about at the water cooler...imho

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I have a 2005 Civic and love the car (same generation as 2003) but have numerous friends whose transmissions died on there 2001 -2003 Civics. I would keep the 2008.

I have been religious with ATF changes after every 25-30K miles with Honda ATF and transmission shifts smooth and has never been thrashed!

Also, we did replace HG around 115K with MLS HG, because head was pulled for some other work so replaced it since everything was apart.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Keep them all, looks good in the driveway, folks think your rich and just drive one a day to even out the wear..gives you plenty of things to do keeping up 3 oil changes and it gives one something to talk about at the water cooler...imho

I'm not sure having 10-15 year old Civics in the driveway makes people think you're rich.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Dump both enjoy the TSX. Life is short to drive penalty boxes when a normal/comfortable car sits in driveway
Life is too long to do stupid yet too short notto enjoy.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

I'm not sure having 10-15 year old Civics in the driveway makes people think you're rich.
Depends where you live.Nothing like a Civic to say you have arrived.

Keep the 2008, the 2003's engine is known to have head gasket issues. My sister's 2005 had a bad head gasket and a friend's 2003 Civic did as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back