Which Transmission filters are best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer w/a 5R55S transmission and I'm thinking about changing the fluid and filter. What is a good filter to buy? Thanks.

From Ford, the factory filters are Filtech, with a synthetic felt media, rated at 80 microns. Many aftermarket filters are rated at 100 micron or above. I concur on the Magnefine.

I've always used Filter King filters from Advanced.

have had great luck, the last time i changed the fluid in my 98 Explorer the pan hardly had any particle buildup, so that must mean its filtering fairly well.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! At this point I'm leaning toward the OEM Ford filters, but I will check out the filters at Advance also. I know the manager at our local store. The in-line filter sounds excellent and is on the list also. Yes, I know how much fun it is to put the fluid back in.....NOT. Additional suggestions and opinions appreciated!!

You do not need to go OEM to buy a FIltech filter. In fact their are many good aaftermarket filters made by the same companies that make the OEM filters. How many transmission filter manufactures do you think their are makeing a given filter design?

As too the micron rating I favor flow over filtration in a in transmission filter. This is especialy true on transmissions that are broken in and have regular maintnece as in fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
You do not need to go OEM to buy a FIltech filter. In fact their are many good aaftermarket filters made by the same companies that make the OEM filters. How many transmission filter manufactures do you think their are makeing a given filter design?

That is very true John, but I was disappointed when I bought a "filtech" filter from Carquest. It was advertised/implied as Filtech/USA company all over the box and literature, but when I opened it up, it said made in China. The same Filtech from the Dodge dealer was USA made.

The quality was probably the same, but it just bothered me. Chinese Fruit of the Loom is o.k., but I care about my transmission.

doitmyself,

I'm not so sure about the Chinese Fruit of the Loom & close proximity to jewels more valuable than any transmission. They make transmissions every day. Plus, you've got to think about the airport screeners when they use the full body scanners & you ain't got nothing there anymore. I imagine that would cause an unfortunate scene.
lol.gif

There is a sticker in the door jamb that has a code which identifies the transmission type. I think I decoded the code in my Haynes manual or on the Explorer forum online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back