Which tire brand and model within that brand last the longest miles.

Nobody has mentioned this, but the road surfaces you drive on have an impact on the mileage achieved. Unpaved roads (many in Vermont) seem to be like sandpaper on tire rubber. And concrete seems to be worse than asphalt.

Very interesting site! I was unaware of it prior to today. I'm glad to have found it. Is there an article (yes, I will continue surfing the site in hopes of finding it but thought I'd ask) for those who only drive about 300 miles a month and therefore should get 2 decades from a set of tires in an ideal world?
Yes: Barry's Tire Tech: Tire Aging and Weather Cracking

Put another way, you can only get so much out of a tire before it ages out - and in your case (TX), we're talking 6 years!

I confess to not reading everything so maybe asked and answered. Have you contacted Continental directly to inform them their tire "model" with sidewall codes "whatever codes and S/N etc. you can find" only got 35k miles when advertised as an 80k mile tire? Perhaps there was some issue with that batch you are unaware of? Perhaps they'd offer a nice discount on replacements? Perhaps they'd offer some other compensation? Might be worth a shot.
Thanks for the great advice. I'll try calling them. Maybe they can do something for me.
I like brands where when you buy a model, you are surprised at how long they last.

Panasonic is a good example. Back in the 1970's and 1980's, anything made by Panasonic (Ex: Radio's, TV's, cassette recorders, etc) would last decades. Other brands would last 1 or 2 years and then fail. Panasonic surprised me with how long their products last. So needless to say all electronics I buy even today is made by Panasonic.

Continental surprised me the reverse way. I bought their most expensive tires for my tire size, and they surprised me to the downside.

Last edited:
The local tire place sold me a size up(next wider option) tires once. They claimed it was ok on most vehicles.
I said ok and got them mounted to later (slightly) regret it. The car was/felt slower. City mileage suffered(not by much),
freeway mileage got better.
Now I'm a low miler and cant comment on wear much(looks to be less, reason for the post) as I change tires due to age,
but more rubber on the road should spread the weight of the vehicle on a wider/bigger surface, making said rubber work easier.
If the Odyssey came with larger tire/rim options it might be worth a try.

I don't remember the exact mileage but my parents got I think close to 70,000 miles on a set of t-rated Cooper CS5 Grand touring. This was on a 13 Grand caravan. They've had a few of those vehicles as my dad had a couple for work purposes. They tend to be hard on tires as well. The initial yokohama's barely lasted 40,000 mi on two of the vans. The Kumho lasted maybe 5,000 more than that. A set of mastercraft SRT touring were wearing down real fast. Time will tell how will the general altimax RT43 hold up but then again those are discontinued anyhow. I would suggest finding some with a hard compound as a CS5s were noticeably harder than the mastercraft SRT touring and while they're different brands they are the same company and I guarantee the lifespan of the 80,000 mile CS5s will be at minimum 20,000 mi longer if not more than what the SRT tourings were with their 60,000 mile tread life warranty.

Back