Which one would be a better beginner bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
A good 500cc bike has PLENTY of power for a beginning rider!!

Absolutely. Most of us were on bikes that size or smaller BITD. My 1st bike was a mid-70s air-cooled 500 twin with the same A2-license-level power rating as Honda's current water-cooled CB500 lineup. It had plenty of power in normal riding. When you really wanted it to go fast, you'd find there wasn't much more available, but the power it had was readily accessible (in contrast e.g. to the typical 600 inline 4). It had no problem whatsoever cruising 80MPH on the freeway, an it would easily be the 1st across the intersection at a light.

I'd expect Honda's CB500 bikes are much better, as they're lighter, and have better brakes and handling.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

Some of my alternatives are (used or new, but it must have ABS),

ABS is overrated. I read so many tales of people claiming it saved their bacon. But we weren't short of bacon in the modern pre-ABS days. Not saying you shouldn't get it.

My rule is I don't want to buy a new bike without it (and both my current bikes have it, but none of my prior bikes did), but I'm OK with buying used bikes that don't have it. I wouldn't worry about that if a bike comes along that otherwise looks good.

At 6'1" I doubt you're physically too large for too many bikes.

You probably don't have a great frame of reference yet, but you can get an idea here
www.cycle-ergo.com

Did the KTM 390 feel physically too small for you? Haven't ridden one, but I've read they're a bit frenetic--not a beginner's small displacement bike. Not suggesting you couldn't handle it.

All the choices on your list make sense to me. I don't think I'd be happy with a manual gearbox NC700--I think I'd get frustrated banging into the low rev limiter. With the DCT option the bike would take care of that for me.

dl650.jpg

Thanks for all input. I really appreciate your help and opinions.

I have one more question, sorry if it's stupid. One thing that CB500 or NC doesn't have is a shift indicator, which kind of puts me off. Do you think it is a good idea to see it as a new rider?

I used to drive stick shift cars for many years and I believe I will get used to m/t bike quickly, but bikes doesn't have gear shift pattern like cars so I am guessing it is harder to figure out which gear you are in.

I have one more question, sorry if it's stupid. One thing that CB500 or NC doesn't have is a shift indicator, which kind of puts me off. Do you think it is a good idea to see it as a new rider?

I used to drive stick shift cars for many years and I believe I will get used to m/t bike quickly, but bikes doesn't have gear shift pattern like cars so I am guessing it is harder to figure out which gear you are in.

For all purposes you will become comfortable with the shifting technique for motorcycles. Once you get accustomed to it, it will become more natural. Need more Engine RPM/ power for passing - Click the shiftier down and blip the throttle. Need less Engine RPM/ crusing- Click the shifter up. The neutral light is handy (none of my bikes even have these) but I think the shift indicator is just gimmicky. What bikes are you looking at that have shift indicators?

You dont necessarily really need to mentally know what gear youre in (Sounds more dumb when you writ it out) as long as it works.

Recently I had the pleasure of riding my buddies Ninja 300 which is a very different bike from what I traditionally ride. I actually enjoyed it for what it is. Power wasn't horrible, brakes were good enough it was comfortable enough however it gave such an excellent sensation of speed. The bike felt a lot faster than it was which to me was a nice change of pace. You dont always need a 100hp+ monster to have a great time. Would I buy one... No However it was a very honest fun little machine.

Last edited:
You don't need a gear indicator, the numbers don't matter. Down 2 and pin the throttle is always the right gear.
grin2.gif
You will get a feel for it quickly. The only time a gear indicator would be handy is when you are cruising down the highway trying to shift to 6th and 6th doesn't exist.

Nope. Its a piece that is easily forgettable--in a near identical way that you probably never checked the top of your shifter throw on your car.
You knew what gear you were in, or at least what to do for what you wanted (shifting up/shifting down.)
Neutral indicators, however, are helpful.

My 2009 Superglide doesn’t have a tachometer or shift indicator. You’ll learn quickly enough to shift, up or down, by engine sound and feel, as well as your speed in each gear.

OK dgunay, how tall are you? What's your in-seam? How much do you weigh? What kind of a car do drive and how fast? Ever done any track days? Plan on doing any dual-sport? How about dirt riding? Do you own a cabin out in the woods, or have a friend with one?

If we have all that, we can kinda figure out where you might want to start
laugh.gif

Currently I own three bikes. Honda Trail 90 (not running, but wife asked about it today), Honda XL350 (my vintage dual sport toy), Harley 1200C Sportster. Previous street bike was a BMW K-750. Before that was a Suzuki GS850G (shaft drive). Before that was any of 30 odd bikes.

Some of my favs have been Triumph Bonneville 750 (1974) - last of the right side shifters. Small and light for a 750. Handled well. That Suzuki GS850G with fairing and bags/trunk. What a cruiser. My 1970 Honda SL90. That thing was a real get-around bike in town and traffic. Bull Taco 350 Frontera and Ossa 350 Super Pioneer. Both Six-Days bikes and they would run
laugh.gif

I rent HD Road Kings for serious two-up riding
laugh.gif

My least favorite has been every Goldwing I have ever ridden ... OTOH, the 500cc Silverwings have been charming and comfy.

You have a long road of discovery and evaluation ahead of you. A lifelong hobby. Just gotta start somewhere
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
OK dgunay, how tall are you? What's your in-seam? How much do you weigh? What kind of a car do drive and how fast? Ever done any track days? Plan on doing any dual-sport? How about dirt riding? Do you own a cabin out in the woods, or have a friend with one?

laugh.gif

Thanks, let me explain:

I am 6'1, in-seam 33", 220 lbs. Currently I only drive a grocery getter and drive normally except cornering. I only have 1 car parking spot so I am pretty much stuck with this until I move out (which I am planning for next year). I've had fast cars in the past - some were faster than 600cc race bikes - I raced a lot of times (from 60 to 160+ mph) with them, and I've done several track days in 3 different countries. I am not planning to do any dirt riding/dual sport. I neither own a cabin nor have a friend with one.

Now if you read previous posts, you may ask "are you sure you are not going to go over 80+?", I got married and older. My priorities have changed, but want to ride motorcycle too. Now I am like even if I go over 40-45 mph downhill with my road bike, it just scares the [censored] out of me.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

laugh.gif

Thanks, let me explain:

I am 6'1, in-seam 33", 220 lbs. Currently I only drive a grocery getter and drive normally except cornering. I only have 1 car parking spot so I am pretty much stuck with this until I move out (which I am planning for next year). I've had fast cars in the past - some were faster than 600cc race bikes - I raced a lot of times (from 60 to 160+ mph) with them, and I've done several track days in 3 different countries. I am not planning to do any dirt riding/dual sport. I neither own a cabin nor have a friend with one.

Now if you read previous posts, you may ask "are you sure you are not going to go over 80+?", I got married and older. My priorities have changed, but want to ride motorcycle too. Now I am like even if I go over 40-45 mph downhill with my road bike, it just scares the [censored] out of me.
. Judging from your last sentence, you don’t need a motorcycle. Pursue another hobby.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Judging from your last sentence, you don’t need a motorcycle. Pursue another hobby.

Maybe you are judging without reading carefully. I am talking about 15 lbs bicycle with tires which are thinner than a human finger. I bet there is a difference between this and 200 lbs motorcycle at high speed.

Whichever is most controllable - this will be a factor of how comfortable you are riding the bike and how smooth the handling, brakes and power delivery is for you and the type of roads you will ride - I would worry about these factors more than style, weight, power of the list of bikes you provided.

I'm sticking to my original recommendation. From your list, the Rebel 500 is the best bike to start and learn on. If you can, I'd suggest test riding the 390 Duke to see if you think it is too small. If you like it, that would then be my first suggestion with the Rebel as option 2. You don't need a 650 or 700+ for the kind of riding you plan to do.

If you do plan on upping your speeds and doing more highway riding, a bigger bike might be more comfortable, but for 70 mph and under, those smaller bikes will be fine and are just easier to handle.

The Kawasaki Vulcan 750 holds its value real well. The Honda Shadow 750 is another one. Both excellent entry level cruisers that can be sold quickly to move up if one wants to. Easy on the wallet to buy and maintain. I would get a good used one a few years old. Tons of them around. Almost forgot, the Suzuki Boulevard C50 is a great choice also. Any of these bikes will do a great job and hold up. Each of these models comes in different flavors from almost bobber style up to a touring kind of look. Use cycletrader.com to do your searches in your area and find out who has what. Many folks just stick with these bikes, but I will admit, the new baseline in size seems to be the 900cc bikes. But these 750-800cc bikes have more than ample power to move itself and the rider down the road. And they are a blast to ride!

I am sometimes loathe to classify any bike as a beginner or entry level bike. Not everyone wants to roll a half ton of two up motorcycle and riders down the road. And depending on what one has in mind to do most of the time with their bike, even the 500cc and small stuff can be great. Bikes are kinda like firearms... you get what you need for the task you want it to do. That is why many folks have more that one bike in the shed. While I am fond of cruisers, there is a lot of kick in the pants fun about a dual sport on/off road bike also. There just isn't one bike that does it all.

Thanks for all input.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Judging from your last sentence, you don’t need a motorcycle. Pursue another hobby.

Maybe you are judging without reading carefully. I am talking about 15 lbs bicycle with tires which are thinner than a human finger. I bet there is a difference between this and 200 lbs motorcycle at high speed.

Sorry I was going to say 400+ lbs. We use kg and sometimes it gets confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back