Which one would be a better beginner bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
750cc

+1
Already getting tired of the 650 I have. Wishing I held out for a liter bike given my throttle control.
Highway riding is a chore
frown.gif

The mode controls on the bikes are really nice ! Mode #1 somewhat safe, Mode #2 less Safe. Mode #3 you have the most fun the millisecond before you get hurt. Mode #4 If you survive you are a great rider.

Thanks for all good wishes and input guys, much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
Originally Posted By: ad244
As the saying goes, buy a cheap bike and quality comfortable safety gear that you want to wear. I would absolutely recommend an older V Strom. They routinely last for over 100,000miles, are very cheap to maintain and insure. They can handle poorly paved back roads (and knobbies) though the suspension will leave a little to be desired in the sirt.

The FZ6 from Yamaha is another more street oriented option which really is an underrated bike.

The FZ7 is a newer generation bike however they come in at a higher price and I'd argue that 700+ CC is probably overkill.

The bonus to the used V Strom or FZ6 is that you're not going to loose much money when its time to upgrade as most will already be depreciated.

Just reinforcing that you need to wear a full set of motorcycle gear when you ride. (Helmet, Jacket, boots, gloves, riding pants.)

I'm 5'8", 145lbs.
Throw gear on and:
my thoughts on the cb500 was "forgiving" and "capable of highway" (but I wouldn't say you have more umph than a corolla at those speeds, so "forward-moving" control is limited.) By design, the 500 is extremely low maintenance. Forgiving in maintenance and parts is good on the pocket, as well as building confidence that you won't majorly botch it learning good rider controls.

That being said, you are much heavier and taller than I am, which makes me urge you to go after a bike with more umph. I think that any of the other three would be better. Nods are given for both more power and weight when talking the weestrom. Nods are given to less flicking inertia to fight when talking the NC700x.

If I were in your shoes, the next thing I would look at and consider is the maintenance costs/intervals, how to do them (some are a pain, others less so), and the cost for damage-able parts--in the event of a drop. Also consider the price of guards, which I strongly support. It's nice to be able to drive your bike away from a meager spill with just scrapes, and not have to figure out how to zip tie plastic back together or fit it in whatever storage you have on you.

My aim is not to go over 80+ mph, I just want to be able to accelerate highway speeds easily. This is why I am looking for 400-500+ cc motorcycles.

Speaking of maintenance, I will do everything myself. I think it is not more complicated than automobiles, which I've been doing on my own for years.

The only thing that worries me is the valve adjustment, especially if I buy it used. I know how to adjust the valves, especially the ones which are adjustable nut type on the rocker arm. I adjusted them many times on my cars. I am aware that many bikes come with shims which makes it more difficult. As far as I know, only NC700/750 has rocker arm similar to Civics, which is quite easy. You only need to remove the radiator to reach the valve cover.

I am definitely going to buy crash/protection bars. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ll second the 650 Vstrom. Nice upright riding position, and at 6’ 1” you’ll be able to flat foot and not be cramped up. From off roading to cruising all day 2 up at 70 mph.......and getting 60 mpg.

Last edited:
KTM are known to be maintenance headaches, so unless you are a good motorcycle mechanic, you’ll spend a fortune at the dealer keeping it maintained. Look at the maintenance schedule on any bike you buy.

The Versys 300 will cruise all day long at 80mph, good starter bike.

I'm not a fan of the NC700. Just too mild for me. The FZ7 is a fun bike as is the Wee Strom 650, I like 'em both, a lot! But if I were to choose, I'd pick something more interesting like the new KTM 690's or the Husqvarna 701 series of bikes (they are both made by KTM and use the same 690 engine) . I absolutely love riding the dual sport KTM 690's, as they are super fun single cylinder bikes with enough power to be fun and light enough to be ultra responsive.

I really do feel that dual sport bikes make excellent first bikes. Tall, light, responsive, and nowhere near too powerful. Yet very capable. That commanding view is helpful for newer riders.

Something interesting if it's not too small for you:

husqvarna-005.jpg

Last edited:
I learned on my R1. The more you like the bike, the more responsible you will be during the learning process. Then it sticks with you, kinda.

Vstrom 650. Perfect all round bike IMO, at a very reasonable price. Used, they are an absolute bargain.

I have owned many bikes in my 45 years of riding. The more upright you can sit and not have your knees above the tank, the longer you can ride. My very first was a Honda S90 when still in school. Last was a 1500 Goldwing. That 700 Honda or the Kawasaki would be my choice. Remember to always ride with your eyes moving and pretend you are invisible.

I would not be afraid to start with a suitable sized bike right from the start, instead of thinking a sub-500 cc version will be "easier to learn on". You need to learn the same things regardless, may as well buy a bike you can use for a few years instead of one you will want to replace very quickly.

Something 750 cc-ish should be large enough but I know plenty of people who started with heavyweight bikes (1200 cc and up) and were just fine. The learning curve is exactly the same; you may as well start with what you really want to ride.

The Motorcycle Safety Course is an excellent program, even experienced riders can learn something in that course so it's a great foundation.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
Remember to always ride with your eyes moving and pretend you are invisible.

this is the best advice I have ever read in my 15 year riding experience. After an accident almost a year ago which resulted in half a finger lost and a dislocated ankle...I can understand the meaning of your words...

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Thanks for all good wishes and input guys, much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
As the saying goes, buy a cheap bike and quality comfortable safety gear that you want to wear. I would absolutely recommend an older V Strom. They routinely last for over 100,000miles, are very cheap to maintain and insure. They can handle poorly paved back roads (and knobbies) though the suspension will leave a little to be desired in the sirt.

The FZ6 from Yamaha is another more street oriented option which really is an underrated bike.

The FZ7 is a newer generation bike however they come in at a higher price and I'd argue that 700+ CC is probably overkill.

The bonus to the used V Strom or FZ6 is that you're not going to loose much money when its time to upgrade as most will already be depreciated.

Just reinforcing that you need to wear a full set of motorcycle gear when you ride. (Helmet, Jacket, boots, gloves, riding pants.)

I'm 5'8", 145lbs.
Throw gear on and:
my thoughts on the cb500 was "forgiving" and "capable of highway" (but I wouldn't say you have more umph than a corolla at those speeds, so "forward-moving" control is limited.) By design, the 500 is extremely low maintenance. Forgiving in maintenance and parts is good on the pocket, as well as building confidence that you won't majorly botch it learning good rider controls.

That being said, you are much heavier and taller than I am, which makes me urge you to go after a bike with more umph. I think that any of the other three would be better. Nods are given for both more power and weight when talking the weestrom. Nods are given to less flicking inertia to fight when talking the NC700x.

If I were in your shoes, the next thing I would look at and consider is the maintenance costs/intervals, how to do them (some are a pain, others less so), and the cost for damage-able parts--in the event of a drop. Also consider the price of guards, which I strongly support. It's nice to be able to drive your bike away from a meager spill with just scrapes, and not have to figure out how to zip tie plastic back together or fit it in whatever storage you have on you.

My aim is not to go over 80+ mph, I just want to be able to accelerate highway speeds easily. This is why I am looking for 400-500+ cc motorcycles.

Speaking of maintenance, I will do everything myself. I think it is not more complicated than automobiles, which I've been doing on my own for years.

The only thing that worries me is the valve adjustment, especially if I buy it used. I know how to adjust the valves, especially the ones which are adjustable nut type on the rocker arm. I adjusted them many times on my cars. I am aware that many bikes come with shims which makes it more difficult. As far as I know, only NC700/750 has rocker arm similar to Civics, which is quite easy. You only need to remove the radiator to reach the valve cover.

I am definitely going to buy crash/protection bars. Thanks for the heads up.

If you are dead-set on not going over 80 (which is respectable given where you are in the process of building good reactionary habits and motorcycling finesse,) I would say that he Vstrom might be using some of your money on stuff that could otherwise be spent on what you have stated. The cb500 won't need the valves checked until ~15k, and from what I remember in other forums, they didn't need adjusting. I couldn't find if it used a lock nut adjustment or if it was shim-under-bucket back then, but i think it was the latter. I kinda managed to finally write off the CB for the NC but only because the maintenance was simpler and mileage was [albeit marginally] better. No one has mentioned the Versys, but I think that would be the middle-of-the-road for everything you stated.

I would always wish for new riders to prioritize anything that is going to give them confidence in their ability. Some bikes are too small for adult beginners in my opinion--to the point that new riders have a paved road before them to develop sloppy clutchwork, no reason to regard much for feathering, and no reason to regard for throttle control. I guess that is just reiterating that its good you are set on not getting <400cc.

I started on a 2001 Suzuki GS500 and rode that for 11 years and I'd still be riding it if it didn't burn down in the garage. It was perfect for the lower speed (
However, I replaced my GS500 with an SV650 and I love that bike just as much. I think the V-Twins are a little more forgiving than a 600cc sport bike. It's hard to say, but I think I could have started with something like the SV650 and been even happier. Obviously, it depends greatly on how well you can discipline your throttle wrist.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

500cc or less is not going to be enough.

I HATE COMMENTS LIKE THIS!

WHY???!?!?

Under 500cc bikes is all we had in the 70's and 80's (on a budget) and they got us everywhere we needed to go - - for decades.

A good 500cc bike has PLENTY of power for a beginning rider!!

Out of your choices listed, I'd go with the Suzuki V-Strom. Also I'd recommend the basic and advanced MSF instruction. Also, reading Keith Code's books would be a good idea. Some instructional track days would be a good idea also.

This a few times over. You are new to this world. You do not know what will ultimately be your choice/preferred ride ...

I am not. I have been riding since the 1960's. All types, dirt, dual sport, street, Harley's, etc. AMA Life Member. Rode as part of my last job with an employer provided bike. Been around the block a few times.

I can say for absolute certainty, your tastes will change as you become more proficient. Start out used as you will sell it in a year and buy something else. Why loose a ton in that first mile?

First bike? Buy a used FZ07, V-Strom 650,or FZ6R and gear. $4-6k will get these bikes.

A used bike for the first bike is always a good idea. Less depreciation hit and if/when you drop it you scratch up a $5000 bike instead of a $10000 bike.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
750cc

+1
Already getting tired of the 650 I have. Wishing I held out for a liter bike given my throttle control.
Highway riding is a chore
frown.gif

When my stable consisted of a 650 twin that put down all of 53hp on a local dyno, and a liter bike that put down 125hp on a different local dyno, I pretty much never chose which bike to ride based on the power.

The 650 was fine for cruising at 80-90MPH. Want to cruise faster than 100MPH? You've got the wrong bike. But the idea that the 650 didn't have adequate power is silly. More is great, and nothing wrong with liter bikes--except as beginner bikes.

The 650 was my 1st choice for touring, and for long stretches of freeway, though both handled it fine. The liter bike my 1st choice for commuting.

If your SV650 is tiring on the freeway, I don't think that's because of the power. Ergonomics or wind protection are a lot more likely, and easy to fix. The only other thing that seems likely to me is the rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back