Which oil for my bmw 330i- 3 choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, yet another. I just put in Chevron Supreme synthetic 5W-40--meets the LL01 spec also. NAPA had to order it for me, but it arrived next day.

Originally Posted By: RustyH
And, yet another. I just put in Chevron Supreme synthetic 5W-40--meets the LL01 spec also. NAPA had to order it for me, but it arrived next day.

How much is that stuff?

Amsoil makes a European formula that meets LL-04 which if I'm not mistaken is just LL-01 plus some extra objectives so that could be an option also. I wouldn't opt for it do to the price, I would just stock up on GC with sales and rebates.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Amsoil makes a European formula that meets LL-04 which if I'm not mistaken is just LL-01 plus some extra objectives so that could be an option also.

The only difference is that LL-04 is low ash to make it friendlier to sensitive emissions systems. BMW says not to use LL-04 oils in gasoline engines in the US where fuel contains ethanol. Some people (myself included) suspect that it'll be totally fine with shorter OCIs, but there's no way to know for sure.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Amsoil makes a European formula that meets LL-04 which if I'm not mistaken is just LL-01 plus some extra objectives so that could be an option also.

The only difference is that LL-04 is low ash to make it friendlier to sensitive emissions systems. BMW says not to use LL-04 oils in gasoline engines in the US where fuel contains ethanol. Some people (myself included) suspect that it'll be totally fine with shorter OCIs, but there's no way to know for sure.

That is interesting. So would a new BMW (gas) sold in the US be speced for LL-01 over LL-04?

Last edited:
That is interesting. So would a new BMW (gas) sold in the US be speced for LL-01 over LL-04?

Yes indeed (except for the M3 and M5, which get their own stuff).

Originally Posted By: RustyH
Chevron Supreme full synthetic was $6.48 per quart.

The Kendall GT-1 synthetic 5w/40 at $4.99 sounds like an even better bargain now. No more expensive GC for me!

Last edited:
I ordered some of the oem bmw oil because I need to change now and got a good deal with a filter. But, I will stock up on GC when the sales come around. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back