Which oil for a Noble m400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

What a great forum! I'm a huge gearhead, but now realize I'm a lubrication neophyte. I'll try to follow the recommended format:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2006 Noble M400
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
5w30 synthetic...no other info given
3. Where you live
Louisiana
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Hard...with frequent autocross/road course
cool.gif

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Mix...but rarely city.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
No problems, other than it is radar bait

The car has a new motor, now with ~3k miles on it. Break in was on 5w30 dino, followed by 20w50 valvoline vr1. The motor is based on the 3.0L Ford duratec, but has forged pistons, modified oil passages, piston squirters, and is twin-turbocharged. Oil capacity is about 9 quarts.

I tracked the car last autumn as a "test-drive" before purchase, and oil temps never went above 120 C during 30 minute runs. Ambient temps then were mid-60s.

I stumbled onto this site, and have been transfixed for the past week trying to figure out what to use. Now I feel schizophenic!
crazy2.gif
I decided on Amsoil... then read some detractors posts. Then I researched redline...and there was some chatter about high wear numbers on UOAs. My brain is swirling with UOA results, HT/HS ratings,TBNs, flash points ...aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!

OCIs will be ~3k and price per oil change isn't a big concern. BTW, oil filter is Motocraft FL-820S (per 'manual').

I'll be tracking this car in the Texas summer heat, and need help given the lack of information available for this application! Which oil and which viscosity?!?!

Thanks!

That's what the prior owner ran, including a lot of track miles. Then the motor was replaced. I think the 'spec' may be suspect, given that the motor is essentially a heavily modified 3L Ford V6, with turbos, and to my knowledge the spec wasn't developed with any manufacturer-backed testing. There are only 200 or so of these cars in the states, and none of them have high mileage so data is sparse. In europe, the spec is 5w40 synthetic for the same car (slightly different motor, though).

Originally Posted By: JeffGoji
Since you are primarily doing road course driving, I would look into 5W30 or 5W40 Redline oil and never look back.

I think I came across something a/b high wear numbers w/ Redline...but everything is starting to get a little hazy.
21.gif
Are there any 'landmark' UOAs on turbo'd track cars using Redline (or any other) products? I've searched, but haven't found anything conclusive.

Does it have cats? If not, try one of Brad Penn's Penn Grade 1 Racing Oils. These oils work great in high performance/race engines.

I agree on the Redline 5W30/5W40. Redline shows "high wear" initially because its ester content aggressively cleans. It drops to normal numbers after a few runs.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Does it have cats? If not, try one of Brad Penn's Penn Grade 1 Racing Oils. These oils work great in high performance/race engines.

Essentially catless. I'll check into the Brad Penn oils. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I agree on the Redline 5W30/5W40. Redline shows "high wear" initially because its ester content aggressively cleans. It drops to normal numbers after a few runs.

Ah, that explains those posts. Thanks for clearing that up. Seems that Redline is favored, and I'm surprised no one has chimed in for Amsoil or PU.

Thanks!

That car has pleasant features.

Oils are great, nowadays.
What you need to know is the OIL temperature [not coolant] when it is really stressed in the heat. I'm sure the factory recommended 5-30 is fine for most use, but get it too hot and you should go to a 0-40 or 5-40 .

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
That car has pleasant features.

Oils are great, nowadays.
What you need to know is the OIL temperature [not coolant] when it is really stressed in the heat. I'm sure the factory recommended 5-30 is fine for most use, but get it too hot and you should go to a 0-40 or 5-40 .

The hottest on-track temp I saw was about 245F, but this was with ambient temps in the mid-60s. Perhaps I should start a little heavier (5-40 or so) and back it down if oil temps on track stay cool? In looking at specs, I was thinking HTHS ratings of 4+ would be preferred, but that is anecdotal on my part...

noble_nut, firstly welcome to BITOG!

Clearly this is an application for Red Line and I'd go with their 5W-30 grade (HTHS 3.8 cP). You could consider their 5W-40 (HTHS 4.6 cP) but I don't think that should be necessary unless you're seeing oil temp's in the 280C range which you're not even close to.

BTW, didn't Noble sell his interest in the company he founded?

Originally Posted By: virtual
Maybe I would send a email to Cosworth they are the Ford performance division,im sure they would tell you what oil they usualy use in their race engine. http://www.cosworthusa.com

Did they build the heads for the M400's Duratec??
21.gif

In any case, yes, they DO know A LOT about turboed Ford powerplants, but I agree with most of the other respondents on Red Line 5W-40 (or even 10-40 for mid summer Tejas open tracking, yes, depending on the oil temps seen in those ambients which WILL BE HIGHER than 60*F!!).

Or, if he wants to spend more, Motul's 300V in the 5W-40 flavor won't let him down.

COOL rides those Nobles. Most definitely on my lottery winning list of must haves!!
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
noble_nut, firstly welcome to BITOG!

Clearly this is an application for Red Line and I'd go with their 5W-30 grade (HTHS 3.8 cP). You could consider their 5W-40 (HTHS 4.6 cP) but I don't think that should be necessary unless you're seeing oil temp's in the 280C range which you're not even close to.

BTW, didn't Noble sell his interest in the company he founded?

Thanks for the welcome! It's looking like Redline for the win!

Yes, Lee Noble sold the rights for the m12/m400 to 1gRacing here in the US. That company has since revamped the body, interior, made some driveline updates. It is now badged as a Rossion and distributed out of southern Florida. Lee Noble was forced out of the Noble company that now makes the M600, but has promised to return with a new creation using a mid-engined tubed frame v8 powered car called the Fenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back