Which gas powered string trimmer do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few or so years back I bought a new Echo trimmer and it has been trouble free. Always starts on 2nd pull and has a strong engine. It's a straight shaft, a bit longer than I'd wish but just runs and runs. I'd buy an Echo again.
At the same time & place I bought a Honda HRX mower and it has been great too. Its a 1 pull start.

I'm weird, I have 4 string trimmer options. I love small OPE stuff. Here is the list and pro's/cons for each:

Husqvarna 525LS
Pros:
Amazing throttle response
Anti-vibration system is the best I've seen.

Cons:
Edging at an angle with this is more difficult because of the anti-vibe, but i use separate machine/edger for this.

Dolmar/Makita 256.4 4 Cycle
Pros:
Tons of torque
Quiet
All position

Cons:
Heavier

Husqvarna 324LDX 4 Cycle Honda GX25/split shaft
Pros:
Torque
Quieter than the Makita
All position
Husky heads are great

Cons:
Heavy
Long time to warm up

Kawasaki KFTR27A
Pros:
Powerful
Light
Minimal vibration

Cons:
Stock head sucks
flexible shaft not as durable as steel.

If i had to pick one to keep out of the 4 it would be the Makita. If I had to rank them overall i would say:

1. Makita
2. Husky 525LS
3. Husky 324LDX
4. Kawasaki

Last edited:
I use an Echo SRM-2100 for about 17 trouble free years. The first 2-3 years were fairly heavy use to brush 1.5 acres. Now just seasonal maintenance 2-3 tanks a year mostly early summer.
1 spark plug, air cleaner, lube the head, always synthetic oil is all the maintenance done.
(...after grinding off the carb adjust stop to properly tune.)

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have a Stihl FS 50 C-E. C for curved, E for elongated shaft. I have an easier time with a curved shaft trimmer and I'm tall so the longer shaft model
makes using it much easier than the typical curved shaft models sold in box stores.

Maruyama construction is nuts. If you look at the brochure, they go overboard. Built like a 94 Camry. The dealer network is sporadic.
https://maruyama-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2016_MARU._OPE_Brochure_1-40Pgs_10.30.15_LO.pdf

Just an FYI....the "E" in your trimmer's model number does not denote "extended" but "Easy2Start."

To quote Stihl themselves: "STIHL power tools with STIHL Easy2Start™ are indicated by the letter "E" in the model name."

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/technology/easy2start/

The letter "C" denotes the item has a Comfort feature, which can mean enhanced anti-vibration on things like chainsaws; with string trimmers it denotes the comfort feature of "Easy2Start."

From Stihl: "The C indicates a comfort feature. On trimmers, that comfort feature is the Easy2Start™."

An "R" denotes a loop handle.

Stihl KM 56 RC-E KombiMotor.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...tor#Post2608652

km56rce.png

CorpFull_1.png

I actually would likely go with one of the Stihl models without the Easy 2 Start if I had it to do over

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Shannow
bcts71bmra7c2_2.jpg

That looks cool! I don't think we can get those blades here.

You can get any blade type you want on amazon. I like the ones with the carbide cutters, I dull the other kinds too quickly. I mostly use a Stihl FS250, it is heavy but with a good strap or harness you don't tote the weight with your arms. You just kind of steer it.

My old Stihl had saw blades like that but not near the displacement. Nonetheless it is a very effective brush cutter albeit somewhat heavy. Even with the harness, it gets heavy on a hot mosquito infested day. Way too much for trimming grass. That's why I bough the Echos.

I am currently using a Husqvarna 326 and like it a lot. I've had Stihl, Echo, and others to a much lesser degree, and my neighbor loves Shindiawa. Of all these brands, I'd pick whichever one fits my needs, price range and feature requirements.
I've found, the lightest trimmer, that will do the job is the one to get. On the hills and valleys of my place, a heavy trimmer will wear you out in no time at all, and at 61, I'm more for comfort than shear power.

I'm an odd ball owner. Have a Kawasaki KBL23A. Purchased it back in 2000. Runs great. The string head sucks so I put an automatic feed on. It has lived on a steady diet of AMSOIL 2cycle mix 100:1 since new.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Stihl. Best I've ever owned. Mine is going on 5 yrs, no maintenance required, starts every time 1 or 2 pulls. Bought a Kombi power head and have the trimmer, tiller, pole saw and, brush cutter attachments.

+1

Over the last couple of decades I have learned that Stihl is a great way to go. I have also learned the hard way not to cheap out on replacement parts and wear items. I will always save a buck when I can but with Stihl OPE, IMO you are better off paying a little more up front.

My 1990's era 025 chainsaw runs as good as when it was new!

Echo SRM210, my absolute favorite trimmer. Lightweight, durable, and no problems ever. My current one is 13 years old and has always started in two pulls and has been 10000% reliable. Not one problem ever.

I bought a RYOBI from Home Depot two years.. Knock on wood it still works great. I have only run Tru-Fuel in it. I swear that stuff helps.

A Toro with attachments, and a Echo 210.

But, will probably go all electric for next summer for the convenience. Probably sell all my gas gear including chainsaws.

Tru-Fuel has been great in all my 2stroke gear.

I have a Honda HHT35 that I recently modified to use the Stihl Kombi attachments. It was an easy conversion and now I use the edger and trimmer from Stihl. The Honda trimmer head, which I replaced with the Echo speed feed head, all fit together perfectly. The only part that I went to the dealer to get is the driveshaft for the upper tube. The rest I got off Ebay. There is a YouTube video on the conversion which is quite well done and no special tools are required. Works perfectly and no mixed fuel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back