Which gas powered string trimmer do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Husqvarnas. A 2002 322L and a 2017 equivalent. Wife got mad and bought the new one while I was messing with the 322's carb. A 15$ carb and it runs great. So, now I have 2. I am considering removing the carbs and soaking them in a jar of Tru- Fuel over the winter. Worse is the carb for the Echo on the Mantis. In 60 odd yrs of messing with carbs, The Echo's is one of the few that has defeated my efforts.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
bcts71bmra7c2_2.jpg

That looks cool! I don't think we can get those blades here.

Kobalt and Greenworks have 80V but more V's means more weight to give you more power. I am looking at the Greenworks 40V now. Keep hearing about the carb issues on gas ones and don't want to deal with that. i never experienced that problem but don't want to either.

I had a little Shindaiwa that I bought about 20 years ago at a TroyBilt store...abused that poor thing and it ran for a long time. When it finally expired I got a Stihl FS56RC and almost immediately regretted it, because it's just too big and heavy for the little bit of trimming I had to do. Runs like a top, starts on the 3rd or 4th pull, even after hibernating for the winter.

Husqvarna 223L I have two of them. First one is pretty old about 10 years and is rated for 200hrs? The second one i found on craigslist for $20..said it wouldnt run. I fixed it in about 20 mins with a carb clean. Its about 5 years old and rated for 50hrs.

Using only JASO FD oils and mixing at 40:1 i have no issues.

Stihl. Best I've ever owned. Mine is going on 5 yrs, no maintenance required, starts every time 1 or 2 pulls. Bought a Kombi power head and have the trimmer, tiller, pole saw and, brush cutter attachments.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I have the Echo PAS-225, which I picked up from Home Depot a couple years ago. Extremely happy with it so far.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Pro-Att...225SB/204667049

echo-gas-string-trimmers-pas-225sb-64_1000.jpg

I think that’s the one we have had for 3 or 4 years. Always works great . I have a Echo chain saw much longer and it too works fantastic. Of course neither have dined on a steady diet of ethanol. Those small carbs just won’t last with that stuff.
Bad carbs seem to be a common theme. I'm just wondering if the guys with carb problems are also the same guys saying how they've never had issues with E10. I haven't had any issues since I started buying E0 years ago. Not even priming bulbs which many people have assured me have to be replaced regular.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I have the Echo PAS-225, which I picked up from Home Depot a couple years ago. Extremely happy with it so far.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Pro-Att...225SB/204667049

echo-gas-string-trimmers-pas-225sb-64_1000.jpg

I have the same exact one. Three years now. Starts 1st or 2nd pull everytime. Not real happy with the line rewinding mechanism that was to be simple to use. Changed the head unit out for the one that uses the pre-cut lines that slip in the little locking type openings. This does allow one to use a lot thicker line which helps reduce the frequency of changing line.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Sorry to say, the future is battery operated weed trimmers. Dewalt has a 60 volt version. If only we can figure out a way to change the oil on it.

lol.gif

No way. The energy density and power arguments are worse there than anywhere.

I bought a battery powered blower (makita) for drying the car. Works great, but no way would I want to do the lawn with it...

For a weedwacker for a tiny lawn, maybe. For any bigger or more sustained load, don't think so. The battery energy and cycle life would need to be much better.

I have a 34 year old Still straight shaft brush cutter that became too heavy for trimming so I bought an Echo GT200 for grass trimming about ten years ago. I liked it so much, I bought another one for the camp/cottage. Since we moved to a condo, now I have two GT200s out there. They've both been great trimmers. Easy starting, light and effective.

I rarely use the Still for anything but brush cutting. Never use the string attachment on it anymore.

I bought a Stihl FS56 RC 3 years ago. Best move I have made concerning trimmers. I used to always go for the cheapest I could find and hated trimming. Now trimming I dont mind trimming so much with a machine that has enough power and is long enough where I dont have to stoop so bad on my ditches. The fact that all I have had to do to the Stihl so far is put gas and string in it is a huge plus and a concept that is foreign to me as 3 years is about the lifespan of a Wally World trimmer.

Ditched my Stihl many years ago best move I’ve made picked up a Tanaka TBC 280pf best move I’ve made.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Sorry to say, the future is battery operated weed trimmers. Dewalt has a 60 volt version. If only we can figure out a way to change the oil on it.

lol.gif

No way. The energy density and power arguments are worse there than anywhere.

I bought a battery powered blower (makita) for drying the car. Works great, but no way would I want to do the lawn with it...

For a weedwacker for a tiny lawn, maybe. For any bigger or more sustained load, don't think so. The battery energy and cycle life would need to be much better.

Once you are talking Lithium Ion, things change. Dewalt 20 V 5 AmpHour. Try it out. Also, a 56 V lawnmower can cut 1/2 an acre on one charge.

Echo GT-225.
We have easy access to ethanol free fuel here, and within 15 minutes of the house are an Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, Maruyiama dealers as well as a Lowe’s. Have purchased OPE from all of them.

For me, it comes down to the dealer: the independent, mom and pop Echo dealer treats me the best, throws in some little discount or accessory when I make a purchase, and will drop what they’re doing to make an adjustment on the spot if I need it. Their gear works well, too. My experience with the local Stihl dealer has been the exact opposite, and the edger I purchased has not been trouble free.

1987 K&S Trim-all (from Wholesale Club, now Sam's Club) bought new.

Mitsubishi T-170 two stroke engine.

Couple years ago I took it apart just to inspect, piston and bore looked like new.

40:1 on Klotz

I bought a efco ds 2200 s trimmer last week to replace my worn out trimmer it is light weight ( 9 lbs ) 21.77cc 1.1 hp and it is powerful since breaking in. I picked it up for 219.99 before tax at my local dealer.
50:1 echo red armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back