When you sign up for a new cell phone line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...are you given a list of numbers you can pick from?

I'm going to be starting new service with AT&T tomorrow and was curious. I do not want to keep my number from Verizon, I receive way too many calls from colleges who want to know when I'm coming back (ones I've never attended or have inquired about), how they can help me resolve the bad debt on my 2010 Kia Rio and asking me for job interviews.

I want a new number, but kinda would be neat to pick from a list of choices. Thanks.

Yes, you can pick (sort of). They'll have blocks you can choose from, but you don't get total freedom to say "I want to spell my name with the number."

The few times Ive done it, they ask me what town I want the number in, which etermines the interchange. Then they give some options if they have a few.

If youre in a popular area code, like 212, 312, 202, 213, etc., there may be few if any numbers, let alone interchanges available. In newer area codes, it may be wide open.

with verizon, they showed me a list of available numbers spanning three different area codes that are valid in my area.

My Dad has the best number known to man. xxx-xxx-0000. He didn't pick it, it was just luck.

If you are signing up for multiple lines, they will also allow you to get several sequential or similar numbers, i.e. having the last four digits be 1150, 1151, 1152, etc.

I used to work for radioshack taking for granted the AT&T activation process hasn't changed, you will automatically be given 5 numbers to choose from, if you don't like those you can have the rep get you a different number still. We could also try to custom build a phone number but that only worked like one in a hundred times. If your going to a actual AT&T corperate store and not a third party seller they probably have even more tools than we did to do what you want.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
My Dad has the best number known to man. xxx-xxx-0000. He didn't pick it, it was just luck.

or an error on the service provider. I was given a xxx-xxx-2222 home number (ya I have a home #) by my phone company in error. They tried to take it back a week later stating it was a commercial number. I was only able to keep it after I insisted they would have to reimburse me XXX dollars for all the "formal greeting cards" my wife sent out to our friends.

IIRC the "deluxe" magicjack service lets you pick a number. This isn't that expensive and you can forward it to your cell phone. Or port it, maybe.

My own phone number spells something-something-JPG.
lol.gif
What do you do without vowels?
laugh.gif

When we added a line to our AT&T family plan, we were allowed to pick it from a block of available numbers. They were also able to show us which numbers were never previously issued.

I was lucky enough to get my google voice number with the same last 4 digits of my cell phone number!

Also just got VOIP home phone service through Basic Talk due to constant cell phone problems.

I could have picked a phone number that was one different than an old work number! Decided to not do that.

Last edited:
When I got MJ I was given several numbers to choose from. I chose one from a small local rural town. Soon I started getting getting calls from a place in Florida and local calls wanting to buy stuff....

crazy.gif

Wayne

There are many numbers you can choose from, but you'll need to be very flexible.

Prestige area codes and exchanges have no numbers available. If one is given up by a customer, the phone company that owns it reassigns it rather than releasing it -- obviously there is unspoken waiting list. It's worth real money for a company to have a immediately recognizable Manhattan or DC phone number rather than one that sounds like a 900 number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back