When you buy a big ticket item

Every big ticket item that I buy that will get daily or near daily use I research and buy the highest quality I can. Things aren't cheap and one of my favorite sayings is buy once cry once.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Is your foremost concern longevity/reliability or is there other considerations? I know sometimes reliability and longevity are mutually exclusive

Depends on item, but those are factors.

Going off of tools for example, i do look to purchase mainly middle of the road brand such as Channellock, SK, Proto, Wilde ect while avoiding the Harbor Freight, Hyper tough, and upper brands such as Snap on, Matco, Klein ect unless there is a justification for the higher price tag (such as a speciallty tool or if its the only USA made option).

In life I took grandfathers advice of buying cheaper tool (or whatever) initially and then replacing with higher quality if or when you break it.

Originally Posted by madRiver
In life I took grandfathers advice of buying cheaper tool (or whatever) initially and then replacing with higher quality if or when you break it.

That usually works well. If you don't need it often, you don't have big dollars sitting on a shelf. If you use and breaks, you have learned enough to know what your needs are

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I was thinking about buying a Tesla SUV for the glitter and glam..... I do know it doesn't have the reliability of a Toyota Camry.

Not many cars are as reliable as a Camry. That's for sure.
The Teslas have proven to be very reliable. So far anyways... And less maintenance than a Camry.
The hit on Teslas, especially the early models, have been fit and finish. The X Falcon Wing doors were a big problem.

Guess we should check in when Teslas have been around. Lotsa Camrys are 300K mile cars. That's a pretty high bar.
Of course, with far fewer running gear parts, the Tesla has an edge. We will just have to wait and see.

My old '93 Toyota 4WD PU with the 22RE has 350K on the clock, and the odometer quit years ago. Still in service!
Not sure if it has ever seen the inside of a garage...

All good.

Last edited:
Some of the best advice I had ever gotten was from an old body mechanic. He said he's always tell newly wed couples to buy the very best they could afford when starting out.

About 6 months later he ended up shooting himself because of some serious trouble he was in with the law.

Good advice nonetheless I reckon.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Some of the best advice I had ever gotten was from an old body mechanic. He said he's always tell newly wed couples to buy the very best they could afford when starting out.

About 6 months later he ended up shooting himself because of some serious trouble he was in with the law.

Good advice nonetheless I reckon.

This took an absolutely wild turn I was not expecting
shocked2.gif

But yes, this is the same advice we got/still get, and it's advice my parents also took. Barring anything extreme, our new house is the house we will be in for a long time. When we go to do the floors, we're doing Pergo or some other higher end brand... used the cheapest stuff at the first house and yeah, you could definitely tell it was cheap.

Back