When was the Last Time You Used an Inch wrench ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say the same. I was surprised when I was living in Germany in the late 80s that their plumbing was in imperial measurements.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Just plumbing.

About a month ago at work we had a pipe bender hydraulic leak and had to replace quite a few seals. 1 7/8 and it was a pain to get to especially only being able to make less than a 1/4 turn each time it grabbed.

Yah, I discovered early on that there is a lot of interchange between SAE and metric. Most odd 16ths = a metric.
7/32= 5.5m, 5/16=8mm, 7/16 =11mm, a worn 9/16 = 14mm. Anything from 3/4 up will work. 1 1/4= 32mm.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You mean SAE?

Funny thing, the SAE has SI (Metric) tool and fastener standards, and converted to SI for almost everything in 1969, with some exceptions for where other conventions prevail:
https://www.sae.org/standardsdev/tsb/tsb003.pdf

If we have to name a standards body for English/Imperial, it would be ASTM, who took over the Unified National Thread standards from the SAE.

So it's kind of silly to call English/Imperial measurements "SAE". And even sillier to insist on it.

Well for me, ''British'' threads and tools are Whitworth, then they went to Unified threads, which we called SAE. Then into metric. Full sets of tools in all 3.

We at talking linear measurement.

ENGLISH SYSTEM AND METRIC SYSTEM.

THREADS ARE A DIFFERENT subject.

Q.: I had a Metric adjustable Crescent wrench, but I misplaced it.

Can I use an SAE adjustable Crescent for metric bolts somehow?

We aren't talking about linear measurement, it's about threads...and the sizes of the tools we use on them.

Oh, and metric Cresents ? Yes, they do exist, and you can tell by the way the worm adjusts the jaw.

I work on these for a living. Nothing metric to be found anywhere on the Gulfstream's airframe. The engines are another story, as they are made in Germany.

Chris_in_GV_cockpit_resize.jpg

The Pilatus is Swiss made, has a Canadian engine, and is largely American hardware.

pilatus_resize.jpg

And strangely, these have metric airframes and American engines!

yellow_xtra_annual_resize.jpg

red_xtra_resize.jpg

And this thing is 100% metric:

heli_in_jacks_yard_resize.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to use a one inch box wrench to do an oil change on a Cessna this coming weekend. The one inch wrench fits on the oil filter nut that is spot welded on the oil filter canister. Everything on the old airplane is SAE.

My 03 Dodge Cummins in a strange mixture of SAE and metric hardware.

Cujet, it looks like you have a great place to work! Interesting machinery too! It looks like I could eat off of the hangar floor!

On my Hyundais manual transmissions they have a flimsy thin hex head for the drain pugs. The 15/16"s fits perfect and the proper 24mm is sloppy. They use a copper washer to seal and you will tear up the hex head using the 24mm. You ought to hear the arguments that starts saying it's 15/16".

And I have used a 1/4"-28 thread bolt to cut new threads in cast aluminum transmission cases with a stripped out 6mm bolt hole on the bottom pan.

My '97 Ford Taurus had a few SAE fasteners in it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back