Torque wrench suggestions wanted

I like Husky and Kobalt because they have a lifetime warranty. Swap them out every few years. Just say the ratchet isn't working right
You can do that with even the least expensive Harbor Freight torque wrenches also. I had to do it with my 1/2" low dollar one. I brought it in and told the guy the problem. He immediately walked over and grabbed a brand new one for me. Took only a couple of minutes and I was on my way home. If you look at the 7,122 reviews you'll find a strong satisfaction rating:

precision instruments split beam made in USA same price as ICON from HF. Just scope out the exactly range of torque you're looking for. I have the big blue one in that above video and the smaller 3/8 that goes up to 100 ft/lb. Very accurate and easy to use. Don't have to return the dial down at the end of use. The smaller 3/8 I had re-calibrated after using it at near max for wheels for about a year or two, which was a mistake. I then bought the bigger one that goes up to 250. Use google shopping and find the best price, buy USA once and call it a day.
When I bought the Precision it was close to what they charge for the Icon today but not anymore, today it is $200+. The Icon is not a bad tool.

Agreed; Tekton or Harbor Freight might make sense. I do not own either one; others can chime in.
I wouldn't go with a harbor freight torque wrench. I purchased one ten years ago or so and on the low end it's not accurate. I snapped bolts on my brake calipers when they called for 20 ft. Lbs go higher end.

I wouldn't go with a harbor freight torque wrench. I purchased one ten years ago or so and on the low end it's not accurate. I snapped bolts on my brake calipers when they called for 20 ft. Lbs go higher end.
This is why the quality 1/2 inch wrenches usually spec a range of 50-200 ftlb. I wouldn't trust any 1/2 inch wrench at 20. Its likely almost impossible to get the same wrench calibrated from 10 to 150, although I know they advertise it.

For 20 I would use a 3/8 inch. Under 10 a 1/4 inch.

I probably wouldn't either, at least in the entry level HF torque wrenches. Except perhaps a 1/2 model to keep in my truck for wheel lugs and emergencies. I do find the Quinn and Icon interesting, but don't own them.
Perhaps you were using the wrong tool for the application? You wouldn't be the 1st person to do so...
When I only had 1 TW, a 1/2 Mountz, I made the mistake of using it for low torque fasteners like spark plugs. Luckily that was on iron headed V8 engines. Luckily I never snapped a fastener, but certainly could have. Nowadays I get so much use out of the 3/8 Snappy.

I 100% agree on buying the best tools you can; always have. It is important to use the correct tool for the job for both application and quality.

Last edited:
Price went up on the precision instruments but they'll go back down after the holiday season. These guys are drop shippers. I checked my receipts:

From tooldiscounter I paid the following in 2021:
SPLIT BEAM TORQUE WRENCH 40 - 250 FT LB
Manufacturer: Precision Instruments
Manufacturer Part No.: C3FR250F
Our Part No.: PREC3FR250F
$152.95

In 2019 for the 3/8 at tooldiscounter I paid:

PREC2FR100F Torque wrench, split beam, 20$113.95$113.95
Total: $113.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping Carrier: FEDEX - FREE GROUND SHIPPING Res. Charge: $0.00
Grand Total: $113.95

Sure prices went up but keep the numbers in mind.

Most of my tools are Mastercraft from Canadian tire, including my torque wrenches. Several times per year they put tools on sale 50% to 70% off, and then I go buy more.

If you want a CDI Torque Wrench, Abolox usually has good prices. They sent out an email notification that the prices are going up 21% very soon on stuff from CDI.

I have 4 torque wrenches from HF. They are 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 in drives for certain range of torque values. The 3/8 and 1/2 got most uses. Occasionally 1/4 one. The 3/4 one only gets used when I work on shaft nuts. I also have a Quinn digital one which I use to calibrate the other click type torque wrenches.

Back