New old Snapper

JHZR2

Staff member
I had another thread about my home B&S flathead mower going bad. I still need to buy one for home. At my other property I only have ever used a reel mower because it’s perfectly flat. But it gets a LOT of leaves. In my search about mowers, I found someone selling an old original snapper steel deck, model 21355P. I believe from the engine code, it’s from 1988.

IMG_8215.jpeg

The deck and everything else is in great shape. It starts first pull. No primer or anything.

It has a 3.5HP B&S Max engine - I haven’t been able to find a lot about this engine range.

IMG_8216.jpeg

IMG_8222.jpeg
IMG_8226.jpeg

It starts first pull, runs and drives nicely. The seller told me that the plug was recently checked and gapped, and oil changed.

IMG_8220.jpeg

It does bog down a bit. I know the bagging performance varies a bit depending upon blade. As I recall the blade has some “wings” on it, but I don’t think it’s the really high lift blade. I’ll have to look. I’ve read that these do bog down to a stall if bagging long grass. I was able to get it to stall when I ran it in 6-12” dry grass.

Here it is idling after a multi-day sit cold start:

Here it is “mowing” as best as I could one handed in the longest grass I had:

What I love about this is that it rolls so easily with drive disengaged. I’ve run it in max speed propulsion (isn’t all that fast, but lowest speed is slow).

So, I’d like to get this in tip-top shape.

I’ll probably change the oil and possibly check the spark plug, though I have no doubt the seller was truthful.

Air filter check/change

Need to check engine speed. “Fast” doesn’t seem that fast. The videos above are all on the fast setting.

Check and possibly change blade to facilitate chopping and bagging leaves.

What else should I do on this? What should be lubricated or adjusted?

This will probably see year. Mostly in the fall but occasionally in the May-June growing season too. So not a ton. But ai want it to last indefinitely because of that.

Will probably run Delo 15w-30 in it which I have a ton of.

Also, I really don’t need propulsion. Is there an issue with running this long term with the drive disengaged?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is it self propelled? Although 3.5HP is not considered real high these days it was once upon a time. I love seeing this old iron still being used. If you plan on mowing tall grass then remove the bag but if mowing frequently the bag might work. Some of the mowing season you may have to mow twice a week with the bag on.

From the video it sounds good & the Delo 15w-30 should be perfect. I remember when they launched that product. Is it still available? Either way should be great for the mower. A 40 may bog it down too much when warmed up? Try to find an online forum that has some traffic dedicated to Snappers & I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need.

I suspect that you need to replace the rubber drive friction wheel disc that drives the rear axle propulsion unit. It likely has become hard and slick due to age and is slipping. With a new wheel, the high speed should make you almost run to keep up (~6 mph).

Snapper Drive Disc Propulsion Video

As for the bagging performance, make sure that you have the Snapper OEM Hi-Lift blade installed, not the low-lift mulching blade. (It sounds like you do if it has the bolt-on wing attachments). Also, open up the white fabric bag and wash out the fine grass and dirt debris inside that is probably restricting airflow. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, bags better than the Snapper Hi-Vac system in a 21" deck mower.

Last edited:
From the thread title I thought it might be about a silver sneakers dating site.

Great find. My FIL had a very old one and it outlasted him

I had one of those but it was set up for side discharge and multi speed rear wheel drive.. A solid performer. I had no need for it and sold it on C.L. last year. They will handle grass over 12 inches if side discharging.

I have the exact same mower minus the bagger and it has been a good one for my trimming needs. Check out the air filter for bogging down. On mine the throttle cable is broken at the handle and you have to physically hold the cable to get it to push to full throttle or the choke position. I changed mine with synthetic 5w-30 years ago and have just kept it full since and it barely consumes any and oil still looks clean. The self-propelled function quit on mine (one of the pulleys fell apart), but I haven't felt the urge to fix that.

Is it self propelled? Although 3.5HP is not considered real high these days it was once upon a time. I love seeing this old iron still being used. If you plan on mowing tall grass then remove the bag but if mowing frequently the bag might work. Some of the mowing season you may have to mow twice a week with the bag on.

From the video it sounds good & the Delo 15w-30 should be perfect. I remember when they launched that product. Is it still available? Either way should be great for the mower. A 40 may bog it down too much when warmed up? Try to find an online forum that has some traffic dedicated to Snappers & I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need.
It is self propelled. There’s a speed sector, like six speeds, but the lowest ones are really slow. Only the fastest is practical for my walking pace. There’s a very simple clamp-like actuator, no bail, no huge bar or big baby buggy handle. Small, out of the way, simple.

I like running it without using the self propel actually.

That looks real nice. Runs smooth and quiet. Too bad you couldn't buy two of them.
I can… the old person who had this one has another electric start one of similar vintage.

My wife wants a “new” mower for whatever reason… a new snapper hi vac might be ok if it’s USA made.

Close off the discharge and put a good mulching blade ( I like GatorBack) and it will be a dandy. No bagging. I have a zero turn but leave my mulching blade and discharge cover on year round. No grass clumps and works wonders with leaves.

They can be adjusted to get the speed higher or lower.

It will not mulch well even with muching blade because of the deck design. They side discharge and leave a nice cut with the wings on a hi vac blade.

I need to get mine running again. The techumseh replacement motor that was put on it was underpowered when it ran and then sheared the flywheel key but still knocks.

Close off the discharge and put a good mulching blade ( I like GatorBack) and it will be a dandy. No bagging. I have a zero turn but leave my mulching blade and discharge cover on year round. No grass clumps and works wonders with leaves.
Turns out it has a ninja blade on it. I guess that’s why it wasn’t doing the vac thing.

IMG_8238.jpeg

I recommend paying a few dollars more to get the real Snapper Hi-Lift blade. There are aftermarket look-alike blades that will fit, but the metal is softer and they are not balanced as well as the OEM. I have had original Snapper blades last for over 10 years of mowing.

1694220091733.jpg

Try it as a mulcher. Although 3HP prob ain't enuf and I'm not sure that engine sounds strong.

I repowered my Snapper commercial with a Honda 190cc, about 5HP. That engine has plenty of power to mulch nearly any height grass. The original Kawasaki engine failed after 20 years, of course, I bent the crankshaft twice....

I don't know if my commercial Snapper deck is different than that, it sure looks similar. It simply has a cover where the chute attaches. Mine never came with a bag. But again, the Snapper with Ninja blade is unbeatable.

Anyway, you have the basis of an epic mower there.

Last edited:
I think you should buy some 00 grease and keep the gearbox topped up. At that age it may quickly leak out. I took mine apart and resealed it 3-4 years ago. I put in new bearings at the time.

The speed: above 3 and I’m hustling. I usually mow with 2 or 3. Last week was the first time I had it shifted down to 1 and still couldn’t cut a full path without dropping too low in speed to bag (5.5HP Kawasaki engine). Just cut a half-path per pass. We got a huge amount of rain this year.

I think you should buy some 00 grease and keep the gearbox topped up. At that age it may quickly leak out. I took mine apart and resealed it 3-4 years ago. I put in new bearings at the time.

The speed: above 3 and I’m hustling. I usually mow with 2 or 3. Last week was the first time I had it shifted down to 1 and still couldn’t cut a full path without dropping too low in speed to bag (5.5HP Kawasaki engine). Just cut a half-path per pass. We got a huge amount of rain this year.
Thanks, I have lubriplate 00 grease so I’ll learn to check it. I also have a non-ninja blade on order, as well as a new air filter. I’ll have to look closer at the clutch disc.

Thanks!

Well, either I’ve been bit with a bug, or when it rains it pours…

Found someone getting rid of another hivac, and I met them this am. Said it hadn’t run in five years, it was for parts.

Maybe five pulls and it runs. I don’t think the choke is even working.

IMG_8407.jpeg

The front wheels are a little wobbly but I assume they’re pretty generic.

Looks like this one is from 1984. My other one is from 88.

IMG_8408.jpeg

Note the marks on the shroud. The throttle cable only connects in one place. So it vibrates. Not bad, but it’s just a long, loose metal spring. And makes those marks. It also doesn’t move anything when going from fast to choke. So some adjustments seem necessary.

It has a rust free deck, very clean. It has a ninja blade, so I’ll probably swap it to an Oregon hi-vac blade to suck up holly leaves.

Air filter must be pretty old.

IMG_8413.jpeg
IMG_8414.jpeg

Dirty black media. Missing the foam pre cleaner.

But another little project. I don’t need another mower at this point, but they don’t take up much space and it’s kind of fun to tinker. I’ll do carb services with my kids helping.

Back