When did mechanics start using rubber gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) What's the prefered type, latex or nitrile
2) Prefered brand
3) How many times do you reuse them if they aren't torn

1) Have always used latex for the smooth fit. Tried a nitrile sample once and it felt loose and baggy and wouldn't stretch.
2) Microflex Diamond Grip
3) I can probably use the same pair all day or for two days of light work. Probably take them off and on every few hours. A box lasts 3 or 4 months.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Pretty sure I saw that pic in a 1920's "Snap-on" swimsuit calendar.

Also, wasn't that hairstyle common for males in the 90s?

Maybe 1890's. They must be sisters.

Even Kurt Cobain(sp?) had that hairstyle.
It was all the rage as I recall.
Not that I had my hair like that...I was never that cool
45.gif

Started working on cars in the 60's. Was normal to clean dirty greasy hands with gasoline. Time changes things. Wouldn't think of doing that now.

I put on a pair for most anything done on the car except maybe interior work. When I got my first car in the late 70's there was no such thing as mechanics rubber gloves. There was just soap for cleaning up after like Lava or GoJo. When and who got the idea to use medical gloves for auto repair?

I've seen dealership mechanics using them for years. At least a decade. It allows them to get the job done and then quickly strip off the gloves and drive a customer's car without getting smudges in or on it.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I started seeing it in the mid 1990's......I didn't start wearing them with frequency 'til a few years ago.

I still don't unless I'm packing wheel bearings, washing parts in solvent tank or washing parts with brake cleaner. Hands are so dried out right now from the disinfectant wipes I have cracks at the tips of both thumbs. I have been super glueing the cracks together to keep them from stinging.

50 years in the trade and I hardly ever wear rubber gloves - I have no feel and my hands get covered in sweat. Only when packing CV joints. I do wear mechanics, leather or those fabric gloves with coated fingers when working on tyres, welding or when using air tools and hammers.

Since the 60's I would preload my hands with a little motor oil to fill the pores. Then it was usually GoJo or Dawn in the 'laundry sink' for easier cleanup.

1) What's the prefered type, latex or nitrile
2) Prefered brand

1) Have always used latex for the smooth fit. Tried a nitrile sample once and it felt loose and baggy and wouldn't stretch.
2) Microflex Diamond Grip
3) I can probably use the same pair all day or for two days of light work. Probably take them off and on every few hours. A box lasts 3 or 4 months.

I use Wurth Premium Weight textured nitrile gloves.

https://shop.wurth.ca/safety-suppli...XTURE-BLACK-NITRILE-GLOVES-L/899.470425/

Will go through a box every couple weeks.

I started working on cars recreationally in the late '60s, and have continued to do so ever since. I never wore gloves back then, and still seldom do. Over time I've exposed my hands to barrels worth of nasty chemicals. It's one of those things in life you wish you could take back and do over.

Back in the old days at a full service gas station I worked at, we used to do brake inspections of big American boats with drum brakes. We'd use compressed air to blow out all the brake dust. It used to form a massive brown cloud that filled all three service bays. I remember how we used to walk back and forth, purposely breathing in the brake dust because it smelled good. My God. Horrible.

At least I was fortunate enough to not to smoke.

Scott

I worked at an independent shop, it was 2002 and one of the owners started having serious skin issues, he told us one day we were going to start using gloves, which were provided. It seemed odd at first but I quickly got used to it. I honestly think that a lot of his issues were to using the parts washer without glove, which I always used the gloves for, but the years of grease gasoline and oil didn't help him.

I have wore gloves ever since.

Its a great mistake to work on a car either detailing it or doing mechanical work without gloves. All those chemicals are not good for the skin. Detailing chemicals are usually a little bit corrosive. For mechanics all that oil and grease is hard to get off and who knows what it will do to your skin/body. The other thing about working on the car is sometimes your hand slips and the gloves provide a little protection against edges.

I used to detail my cars without gloves. I have a whole bunch of chemicals and then my hand started having mysterious issues...rashes and skin problems. A lot of the detailing chemicals are corrosive and thats how they clean. If you look at the warnings on the bottles its like...wow...these are some dire warnings. Dont get on skin, dont inhale, permanent eye damage, etc.

Our son bought a box of nice, disposable gloves. They might be Black Diamond or something like that name. I don't do 'heavy' work and have never torn these (unless I snag them maybe) but my hands sweat just enough that taking them off without them rolling inside out just never happens. I'm sure I could re-use them if I wanted to.... They don't cause my hands to sweat enough to be uncomfortable or anything though.

I only use full rubber/nitrile gloves if it's something really messy or caustic.

I pretty much always use the nitrile dipped gloves though. Love them. Get the grip of a rubber glove, but without the sweatiness since it's a thin knit back. And keep most the grease/dirt off your hands. Plus they don't rip like rubber gloves do so easily. Usually under $1 a pair at Menards or Home Depot

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back