What’s your choice?

which would you choose and why? Easiest to obtain and most affordable at Walmart

EBDF377C-EEB5-4C76-ADF4-FEB8C7685960.jpeg
8D457313-4096-492D-B31C-B2DF0E0920D1.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd use the Maxlife, it's a very known quantity and works with most anything that can use a Dex-VI like LV fluid.

I'm not sold yet on the Universal ATF/CVT oil--- in my mind there has to be some compromises made on fluid performance when used in either ATF or a CVT application. for it to be able to be used in both. Those two applications are so unalike it's not even funny and I was quite surprised to see a fluid claiming to be both. If the fluids shared similar properties (other than being oil), I believe manufacturers would have settled on a single fluid by now.

Show me a few people that have used it for years, a bunch of UOAs and I might change my mind. In other words it needs some time under it's belt before I become a believer.

Don't understand "politics" reference. No politics to it.

Topic doesn't say for which transmission application. For me doesn't matter though. MaxLife for AT applications, and a dedicated use CVT fluid (e.g. Valvoline, Castrol) for CVT applications.

While I'd be more likely to use the topic Castrol in an AT application, with ML readily available in gallon jug, excellent value, currently no reason for me to even consider it.

Politics aside, which would you choose and why?
What do politics have to do with choosing transmission fluid? As to which one, unless going into a beater, neither. Get the specific fluid for your transmission whether it takes Dexron, Mercon, Mercon LV, Honda, or CVT. While those are unlikely to damage a transmission, I can imagine shift quality, feel and general performance might not be the best, especially in a CVT. How can a fluid made for conventional transmission work properly in CVT's?

Did any out perform the other in any way?
No, not that I could tell.
I should add that, sometimes after an ATF change(drain/refill), I think(keyword THINK) that I feel/hear something different. Not different in a bad way just different in, Ohh, say the shift points and engine revving @WOT. However that feel/sound/whatever seems to go away in a few days so, chalk it up to PLACEBO.

I’ve Got the castrol universal in a ram 2500 transfer case right now with no issues and valvoline Cvt fluid in an accord and an outback. All fluids doing what they’re supposed to do (hopefull) pick either and run with confidence, both are reputable companies who have a bit of tribology experience. but Seeing as you asked for a vote Id use the max life, certainly a known product with lots of happy users.

Maxlife works well, but I vote for using Castrol because we need evidence of whether or not the universal fluid works.

which would you choose and why? Easiest to obtain and most affordable at Walmart

View attachment 91641View attachment 91642
Honestly, I am willing to bet each is as good as the next with proper flushing and refills per manufacturers schedule.
I usually was never one to jump right onto a new product until time and people have used and proved it to themselves + others.

Back