Valvoline 75W90 causing vibration in rear diff

I got on the Valvoline squeeze bottle train and got some vibrations. I went down to Walmart and bought what I used in the past which was SuperTech 75W90. It worked perfectly...no vibration.

That's extremely odd. Is your diff limited slip, it's the only thing I see that could cause that.

I got on the Valvoline squeeze bottle train and got some vibrations. I went down to Walmart and bought what I used in the past which was SuperTech 75W90. It worked perfectly...no vibration.
Probably a u-joint on its way out soon..

Wasn't it the original Coming to America where he keeps flushing the toilet and eventually the phone stops ringing?

Thus we can conclude flushing the toilet will end the ringing.

When I was troubleshooting some google searches revealed a few others who had the same situation with Valvoline 75W90. In any event the vibration is gone now.

FWIW, a while back I did a drain and fill on our Ford Edge's AWD gear box. I used the Valvoline 75W90 you referenced. I've put about 7200 miles on since the change and everything is working just fine. No vibrations and no noise.

When I was troubleshooting some google searches revealed a few others who had the same situation with Valvoline 75W90. In any event the vibration is gone now.
If it's now gone, eat, drink and be merry.

How did the magnet look? If it was clean you felt vibrations because you wanted to. The brain is funny like that

I think it is a limited slip and according to internet posts the Valvoline may not have enough friction modifier in it. Some state on the internet that adding more will smooth it out. The owners manual states to use Motorcraft 80W90 but thats like $25 a bottle on RockAuto. The owners manual does not state anything about friction modifier. So I simply went back to SuperTech which I used in the past with success. I do not feel any more vibration. I think most of these gear oils have the modifier in it and the Valvoline simply did not have enough. In any event I am satisfied with the SuperTech.

Simply do a google search of Valvoline 75W90 vibration and you will find one for the Tacoma and a Hyundai...and a few others.

This isnt too surprising. One time I used this Redline ATF for a 6F transmission thinking it would make the transmission more heavy duty. The Redline website said it would work...then after it was in the transmission felt very weird and sluggish. Its probably always best to use the exact fluid stated in the owners manual for maximum compatibility. Ultimately I had the 6F flushed at the dealership and it went back to smooth. Sometimes a fluid just doesnt work well with a certain application for some reason...

Last edited:
I think it is a limited slip and according to internet posts the Valvoline may not have enough friction modifier in it. Some state on the internet that adding more will smooth it out. The owners manual states to use Motorcraft 80W90 but thats like $25 a bottle on RockAuto. The owners manual does not state anything about friction modifier. So I simply went back to SuperTech which I used in the past with success. I do not feel any more vibration. I think most of these gear oils have the modifier in it and the Valvoline simply did not have enough. In any event I am satisfied with the SuperTech.

Simply do a google search of Valvoline 75W90 vibration and you will find one for the Tacoma and a Hyundai...and a few others.

This isnt too surprising. One time I used this Redline ATF for a 6F transmission thinking it would make the transmission more heavy duty. The Redline website said it would work...then after it was in the transmission felt very weird and sluggish. Its probably always best to use the exact fluid stated in the owners manual for maximum compatibility. Ultimately I had the 6F flushed at the dealership and it went back to smooth.
Your axle code on the door will tell you whether it is LS or open diff. There is also a tag on the diff itself.

It very well could be the friction mod pack in the Valvoline. Back in the day, gear oil didn't have the friction mod in it, you had to buy it and add it to the oil. You can still buy the friction mod additive as there are some gear oils that don't have it pre added.

I do not see an obvious cause-and-effect situation here, since it does contain an LSD component. Some differentials do require added LSD fluid but the only time this is noticed is when driving figure "8's" in a parking lot.

"It contains an extreme pressure additive for better load carrying capacity, wear resistance additives that assist in protecting gear teeth, a limited slip additive for optimal clutch pack performance, and an anti-foaming agent for better lubrication and service life."

I once had a big rock wedged in the tread of one of my tires and until it was thrown out, I thought the diffy was failing.

This was definately not a rock wedged in the tire.

What manufacturer states to put 75W90 in the power transfer unit? For my transfer case I used Motorcraft Mercon LV. Transfer cases tend to go bad so I would just put in there what it says to put in. Putting in a different fluid might accelerate its demise.

I would have used the Motorcraft fluid for the rear diff but it was simply too hard to come by so I chose the nifty Valvoline squeeze bottles.

I installed Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in the rear axle of my Nissan which is as open an axle as they come and it immediately changed the feel when I back down my driveway. I live on a slight incline so I simply coast down the driveway in neutral (manual transmission) and it feels as if you can feel each tooth of the pinion gear engage into the ring gear. It's sort of a soft tap tap tap. It never did this on the first fill fluid and it never did it on the Mobil Delvac-1 that I ran for 50,000 miles. It started doing it immediately after I installed the Amsoil Severe Gear.

The Severe Gear will come out at my next 50,000 mile service (total 150,000 on vehicle) and I'm probably going to try HPL and see if there's anything noticeably different.

Back