What's your Amsoil OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Zero miles. Don't use Amsoil.

+1
Tried it once, was not impressed enough to buy it again when the UOA was almost identical to the one I had of M1 prior. Have considered trying some of their Severe Gear oils in my differentials, though, those seem pretty top notch and might be worth the cash.

M1 is a very good oil and the UOAs I had done showed the same results as yours did - at 5000 miles...where the difference will be found is in an extended drain.

You do know we have at least one member with 62,000 miles on his AmsOil. He's running by-pass filtration and the OEM spin-on. Tops up when he does filter change.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4445186/Amsoil_SS_5w-20,_62,000_miles,#Post4445186
smile.gif

I'll be changing current 0w20 SS fill at around 5300 mark. This will be second oil change on the car and will go by OLM moving forward which should put me in 10K OCI (of course if fuel dilution will not interrupt my plan). And Amsoil SS is 70%+ POA(plus some esters) base oil. There are several post on a different (non english speaking) oil enthusiasts forum with test results confirming POA nature of the base oil.

Amsoil and it's reception on this forum would make for an interesting case study.

Those on here that use it seem to love it.

The majority on here seem to view it with nothing less than contempt (that may be a bit harsh, but oh well). Whether that's contempt for the oil, the claims that are made from people who use it or how it's marketed I'm not sure. I almost wish that they would drop the dealer strategy and put it on the shelves to see if perception around here would change, not that I dislike the dealer approach.

I wonder if it's also its price point, but I question that theory as there is much less bashing of Redline and no one on here seems to deride Shaeffers, which is at the same price point.

Regardless, Amsoil threads are always the same. Someone has a question regarding it, there are a few relevant posts followed by a gaggle of people who don't use it who come in to bash it, then the cycle starts back over. My question would be, why are we so convinced that we need to try to talk someone out of using it? I'm sure they know the price already. Obviously, outlandish claims should be put in its place, but it's effectiveness in extended drain uses are well documented.

I don't care either way as I don't use any of the aforementioned oils, but it is an interesting phenomenon.

Last edited:
That is a populist expression seen here on Bitog but I don't think it is the actual reality. To me at least, there are about as many rabid "Valvoline haters" and "Mobil 1 haters" as there are those that repeatedly post unsubstantiated rants about Amsoil.

The problem Amsoil has is a problem that every premium oil merchandiser has and that is market differentiation. Why should I buy one product over another? Why is one oil brand "more better" than another so I will pick that one instead of the other? Amsoil has a particular difficulty here in the US since I can walk into any ubiquitous neighborhood Walmart and walk out with at least two or three world-class oils for a very low price. Is an Amsoil product sufficiently better for me to track down my local representative or purchase it online and wait for delivery? No one can answer that question with any kind of test here on Bitog. I've gotten more than adequate vehicle longevity out of my vehicles using ExxonMobil or Castrol products, would things be "better" if I had used Amsoil? I would have paid more money yes, but what would I get for it in return? I'd challenge anyone to prove there would have been anything incrementally better had I done so. What does one look at to show it is better than anything else? You mention their extended drain intervals are well documented, but likewise so are the ones from ExxonMobil for their products.

I also think that in days past the mystique of a product which was only available from private dealers carried more significance than it does now. Some of their oils now carry standard certifications but many do not, and continue to have PDS that are worded to obfuscate that fact. Again - I can go to Walmart and walk out with 5 quarts of a certified LL-01 oil for about $25. How can anyone compete against that?

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Amsoil and it's reception on this forum would make for an interesting case study.

The majority on here seem to view it with nothing less than contempt (that may be a bit harsh, but oh well). Whether that's contempt for the oil, the claims that are made from people who use it or how it's marketed I'm not sure. I almost wish that they would drop the dealer strategy and put it on the shelves to see if perception around here would change, not that I dislike the dealer approach.

I wonder if it's also its price point, but I question that theory as there is much less bashing of Redline and no one on here seems to deride Shaeffers, which is at the same price point.

Regardless, Amsoil threads are always the same. Someone has a question regarding it, there are a few relevant posts followed by a gaggle of people who don't use it who come in to bash it, then the cycle starts back over. My question would be, why are we so convinced that we need to try to talk someone out of using it? I'm sure they know the price already. Obviously, outlandish claims should be put in its place, but it's effectiveness in extended drain uses are well documented.

I don't care either way as I don't use any of the aforementioned oils, but it is an interesting phenomenon.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
That is a populist expression seen here on Bitog but I don't think it is the actual reality. To me at least, there are about as many rabid "Valvoline haters" and "Mobil 1 haters" as there are those that repeatedly post unsubstantiated rants about Amsoil.

The problem Amsoil has is a problem that every premium oil merchandiser has and that is market differentiation. Why should I buy one product over another? Why is one oil brand more better than another so I will pick that one instead of the other? Amsoil has a particular difficulty here in the US since I can walk into any ubiquitous neighborhood Walmart and walk out with 2, 3 or more world-class oils for a very low price. Is an Amsoil product sufficiently better for me to track down my local representative or purchase it online and wait for delivery? No one can answer that question with any kind of test here on Bitog. I've gotten more than adequate vehicle longevity out of my vehicles using ExxonMobil or Castrol products, would things be "better" if I had used Amsoil? I would have paid more money yes, but what would I get for it in return? I'd challenge anyone to prove there would have been anything incrementally better had I done so. What does one look at to show it is better than anything else? You mention their extended drain intervals are well documented, but likewise so are the ones from ExxonMobil for their products.

I also think that in days past the mystique of a product which was only available from private dealers carried more significance than it does now. Some of their oils now carry standard certifications but many do not, and continue to have PDS that are worded to obfuscate that fact. Again - I can go to Walmart and walk out with 5 quarts of a certified LL-01 oil for about $25. How can anyone compete against that?

Originally Posted By: JustN89

Oh I understand the basis of why people don't use it, I'm more interested in why such a large majority of people who don't use it feel the need to bash it and/or try to convince others to not use it. If we are to be honest, Redline and Schaeffers, which are at the same price point, receive much less criticism than Amsoil which makes me think that it has to do with something other than price.

For example, I look at this thread. This is one of the better threads that I've found on this forum, yet half of it seems to be people bashing his choice of oil and oci. I find it interesting that people feel the need to voice their opinion on the oil when that opinion was never sought after.

Another example can be found here. This user ran Schaeffer 9000 at a similar OCI and received mostly praise for both the oil and results. There are more examples, but this is sufficient for my point.

The bolded statement is an interesting response, however. I say that because the prevailing opinion on here seems to be that most any properly rated oil can produce good results. If that is the case, are they really "world class"? If the oils are so good that wear results are pretty much the same regardless of brand, do we need to look at another factor to determine which oil(s) could be considered "world class" and which are just above average? Would drain interval be that factor? If so, Amsoil SS (as well as a few others) would be world class over other oils plucked off the shelf at Walmart.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I'm just trying to have a discussion as to why Amsoil is received the way it is on here and other oils at the same price are not.

Anyways, thanks for the response!
11.gif

Ahha, my statement about "world class" was referring to the number of certifications the oil carries.

To me those are the only indicators of quality. "Wear metals" on a Blackstone UOA are not, in my opinion.

I would not bash his choice of oil - more like how he spends his money postponing work that could get him up to those 10k runs. And so many UOA's? He just enjoys doing all that - and the pride of how far the car will go - but it's not an economic model to run that stuff 3k - or even a reasonable test for an expensive oil known to protect far past what Dino can be run out to.

Where Amsoil fails me? Instead of having more flavors than Baskin-Robbins - how about having more of them actually carry "builder approvals" ?

Ahha, my statement about "world class" was referring to the number of certifications the oil carries.

To me those are the only indicators of quality. "Wear metals" on a Blackstone UOA are not, in my opinion.

Oh, my apologies! I misinterpreted.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I would not bash his choice of oil - more like how he spends his money postponing work that could get him up to those 10k runs. And so many UOA's? He just enjoys doing all that - and the pride of how far the car will go - but it's not an economic model to run that stuff 3k - or even a reasonable test for an expensive oil known to protect far past what Dino can be run out to.

Where Amsoil fails me? Instead of having more flavors than Baskin-Robbins - how about having more of them actually carry "builder approvals" ?

I think your comments were more than fair. I don't really care what oil people run but putting off maintenance does bother me. Also, I'm not interested in singling any one person out, just calling attention to a pattern I've noticed regarding Amsoil use. On the whole, there was a lot of positive things in the thread. While I wouldn't have spent that much money, his efforts did make for a very interesting read.

So does Redline fail you as well? Again, I'm not trying to attack you here, I'm just curious. While Redline doesn't have as an expansive of line I don't think, I don't believe that any Redline oils are API certified.

Some people just don't mind spending extra 15$ for an oil change if that makes them feel better (I'm one of those people). I believe that Amsoil will do better for my car and it makes me feel good knowing that engine runs on Amsoil. And I don't care if I'll spend 15 extra bucks in 6months. I spend 10x more for beer and other unneeded stuff monthly. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Some people just don't mind spending extra 15$ for an oil change if that makes them feel better (I'm one of those people). I believe that Amsoil will do better for my car and it makes me feel good knowing that engine runs on Amsoil. And I don't care if I'll spend 15 extra bucks in 6months. I spend 10x more for beer and other unneeded stuff monthly. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

That in the end is all you have, so if that is good enough for you then by all means go for it. On my old BMW it doesn't "need" Longlife-01 oil per the owner's manual, but I feel better using one anyway. On the other hand I don't pay a lot for it either.

I turn to Redline for things like a transfer case etc - but don't think I own anything 'worthy' of their motor oils - except perhaps the Explorer - Still under warranty and using M1 or PP in that to date ... I also tend to run out of OLM around 7k - so a number of 'Walmart oils' are up for that. I try not to bash if it's not my favorite - however I will counter a basher if I have grounds to.
That was/is a great thread - and Amsoil makes great products IMO ...

We bought a new Corolla in 1997. I ran Redline oil in it for 200,000 miles before I gave it to my daughter. She sold it 30,000 miles later. That car never used a drop of oil and the oil was very clean looking. I changed it every 5,000 miles. I still use Redline gear oil. I think the engine oil is probably overkill for most applications. However, I would probably use it if it came with the manufacturers recommendation. Once I go out of warranty,I probably will use it in the F-150's.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
We bought a new Corolla in 1997. I ran Redline oil in it for 200,000 miles before I gave it to my daughter. She sold it 30,000 miles later. That car never used a drop of oil and the oil was very clean looking. I changed it every 5,000 miles. I still use Redline gear oil. I think the engine oil is probably overkill for most applications. However, I would probably use it if it came with the manufacturers recommendation. Once I go out of warranty,I probably will use it in the F-150's.

How do you know that was a result of the Redline (and/or your OCI) as opposed to the engine design or operating conditions?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

How do you know that was a result of the Redline (and/or your OCI) as opposed to the engine design or operating conditions?

Couldn't say. It ran in a pretty hot environment, and was driven in a lot of stop and go in So Cali.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I turn to Redline for things like a transfer case etc - but don't think I own anything 'worthy' of their motor oils - except perhaps the Explorer - Still under warranty and using M1 or PP in that to date ... I also tend to run out of OLM around 7k - so a number of 'Walmart oils' are up for that. I try not to bash if it's not my favorite - however I will counter a basher if I have grounds to.
That was/is a great thread - and Amsoil makes great products IMO ...

That's fair. I appreciate the conversation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back