What's wrong with this analysis?

I sent my first analysis off and received this back. It states it's critical but doesn't show any wear metals. This sample was from a new 5L jug of Quaker State Euro 5w40. I put 1.5 jugs into my motor and this was from the 2.5L remaining in the jug. I shook the jug up before sending it in. This oil did not come from the motor of my vehicle. I'm a little confused by what they are are saying as the only ppm numbers are all green.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 10.52.24 PM.jpg

The comments pretty much sum it up. I wouldn't expect those "wear" metals in new oil.

Four different wear and contaminant metals in a fresh oil sample. I think their comments are appropriate. Send the oil analysis report to Quaker State and see if you can get a refund.

Interesting. The last QS sample I did a VOA on also came back with iron, aluminum and lead:

Mine also had a little tin, but no sodium.

@FlyingTexan how did you handle the sample? I would expect to see a couple ppm of Iron and Aluminum as part of the metal deactivator chemistry, but Pb, not so much, or Na for that matter, unless sodium part of the additive package, which it isn't with this oil.

maybe they need to recalibrate their equipment? Seems odd unless the oil got contaminated somehow.
but same lab for both?

Maybe send another sample to a different lab..

While none of those elements shown will cause any damage it is concerning for people using the oil and UOA's
and why those elements are present in those quantities at all..

Last edited:
Interesting. The last QS sample I did a VOA on also came back with iron, aluminum and lead:

Mine also had a little tin, but no sodium.
And they didn't green flag your Pb like they did here with the same PPM. :unsure:

It's not uncommon to have 1 or 2 ppm of metal.

Here's my suggestion ... contact the lab and ask them why they flagged it; make them explain why a VOA is "critical".

@FlyingTexan how did you handle the sample? I would expect to see a couple ppm of Iron and Aluminum as part of the metal deactivator chemistry, but Pb, not so much, or Na for that matter, unless sodium part of the additive package, which it isn't with this oil.
Just opened the bottle and poured it in the cup after shaking it

For the record I don’t know anything about oil tests so since the numbers were green I wasn’t sure where the fire was.

The fact that two different VOAs of Quaker State both had more metal than usual seems to point to Quaker State as being the source, not contamination. 🤷‍♂️
It's supposed to be the same oil as Pennzoil Platinum Euro. I wrote them back saying exactly how/when I took the oil sample and they sent back the report with the same numbers but everything green stating no issues then. This is the response I received.

Greetings,

Looking into the original report. It was on the borderline for a Baseline sample. There was a very small amount of what is normally wear metals. However, knowing that it came straight from the bottle I can reconsider the interpretation of the data and pass the baseline.

Thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.34.52 AM.jpg

Last edited:
The fact that two different VOAs of Quaker State both had more metal than usual seems to point to Quaker State as being the source, not contamination. 🤷‍♂️
Actually the opposite. You'd need two VOA's from two different labs with the same oil. Both of these VOAs were from Oil Analyzers. That would tell me the issue is equally likely their testing equipment.

It's supposed to be the same oil as Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Thoughts?
The only evidence is that Quaker State Ultimate Protection is their only GTL product I've seen w/pdf sheet to back it up. Platinum Euro is GTL so you would be saying This QS Euro 5w-40 is GTL. Please share your information regarding this QS Euro being the same GTL Pennzoil Euro.

The only evidence is that Quaker State Ultimate Protection is their only GTL product I've seen w/pdf sheet to back it up. Platinum Euro is GTL so you would be saying This QS Euro 5w-40 is GTL. Please share your information regarding this QS Euro being the same GTL Pennzoil Euro.
A few years ago the QS Euro had the same SDS as Ultimate Protection, 70-90% GTL, but now I can't find it and I did find a different one I have now lost that said 40% GTL. I dunno. 🤷‍♂️ I do know the add packs are dead ringers for each other.

Back