What's the verdict on Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Now defaming me is against the forum rules,

There is a fine line, sir, between defamation and homage!
cheers3.gif

Tor, by the way, is available for Windows, too.

I used Windows 10 for a few days and like it just fine. No issues except that it kept waking up on its own every few hours to send some diagnostics report back to the Microsoft mothership that kept failing for some reason. Beyond that, it worked great and was fast, too. I'm still not crazy about the new Start menu but I'm glad it's back.

I'm running it on an almost 10 year old Dell laptop that was originally shipped with XP, not bad at all I must say.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I tried Ubuntu and just didn't like it; wasn't as seamless as windows.

I've tried to like various flavors of Ubuntu, Mint, Cinnamon, Chocolate, Lucky Charms, and everything in between. All have their pros and cons and it obviously works better for some people. Windows works better for others. I've found in life that there are few absolutes, and I think this applies to operating systems, too. There's no one right answer, which is why there are so many great choices out there.

MS just announced that Windows 10 will be free for Win7, Win8 and Win phone 8 on it's 1st year. Not sure if that means it's free 1st year of usage then you have to pay to continue to use or free outright during 1st year of release.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: razel
MS just announced that Windows 10 will be free for Win7, Win8 and Win phone 8 on it's 1st year. Not sure if that means it's free 1st year of usage then you have to pay to continue to use or free outright during 1st year of release.

It sounds more and more like they're going to a subscription-based model, and that it'd be free for the first year of use.

Edit: this ArsTechnica article seems to say the opposite: that it'll be a free upgrade for the first year after its release, and then a paid upgrade thereafter:

Arstechnica.com article

Last edited:
It still seems to be a little foggy to me. Free and I'll give it a shot. Free and then have to pay for it after a year? I'll stick to Linux Mint and Win 7.

Didn't seem that foggy when I read it:

Quote:
Free Upgrade Offer
Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

Quote:
*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME

Quote:
*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

That clears things up I didn't read the advertisement.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
So basically its do the upgrade within the first year of the release and its free for the life of the OS.

Well...I've actually read other articles which say that it's free for the life of the device. So in other words, it will no longer matter what version of Windows you're using. If you have Windows, then you have Windows...

From that Arstechnica article that I posted yesterday:

Quote:
"Once a device is upgraded to Windows 10, we'll be keeping it current for the supported lifetime of the device," said Terry Myerson, executive vice president of the Operating Systems Group. "With Windows 10, we think of Windows as a service... The question 'what version are you running' will cease to make sense."

How Microsoft defines "the supported lifetime of the device", I don't know. For example, the Compaq Presario C300 on which I type this post. It's nearly 10 years old now, but runs Windows 7 just fine (and Office 2013, and SQL Server 2008 R2, and Visual Studio 2013, etc). I presume that I'll be able to upgrade it to 10, but I don't know. Future Windows features will inevitably require additional horsepower to run (graphics, RAM, etc), so how they let some devices sunset and not others, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
So basically its do the upgrade within the first year of the release and its free for the life of the OS.

Well...I've actually read other articles which say that it's free for the life of the device. So in other words, it will no longer matter what version of Windows you're using. If you have Windows, then you have Windows...

From that Arstechnica article that I posted yesterday:

Quote:
"Once a device is upgraded to Windows 10, we'll be keeping it current for the supported lifetime of the device," said Terry Myerson, executive vice president of the Operating Systems Group. "With Windows 10, we think of Windows as a service... The question 'what version are you running' will cease to make sense."

How Microsoft defines "the supported lifetime of the device", I don't know. For example, the Compaq Presario C300 on which I type this post. It's nearly 10 years old now, but runs Windows 7 just fine (and Office 2013, and SQL Server 2008 R2, and Visual Studio 2013, etc). I presume that I'll be able to upgrade it to 10, but I don't know. Future Windows features will inevitably require additional horsepower to run (graphics, RAM, etc), so how they let some devices sunset and not others, I'm not sure.

I read on a forum somewhere, where a person said it was for the lifetime of the OS. Which made sense. Lifetime of the device is interesting. There are older Win 7 machines just barely running it, that probably won't run win 10, as you mentioned. So they might be dead devices right out of the gate.

I'd be interested in finding a list of the system requirements to run Win 10. They may have to change their wording.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Quote:

They know a computer/device won't last forever and people upgrade to new hardware all the time, so they can make the offer and not lose out on much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back